The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mars: One Way (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23776)

Griff 10-21-2010 08:29 PM

Mars: One Way

And since the greatest portion of expenses will be incurred by the safe return of the crew and spacecraft to Earth, the authors conclude that a manned one-way mission to Mars would both cut costs and help initiate Martian colonization.

"It would really be little different from the first white settlers of the North American continent, who left Europe with little expectation of return," said Davies, a cosmologist at from Arizona State University in Phoenix. "Explorers such as Columbus, Frobisher, Scott and Amundsen, while not embarking on their voyages with the intention of staying at their destination, nevertheless took huge personal risks to explore new lands, in the knowledge that there was a significant likelihood that they would perish in the attempt."

Stay. That is a pretty simple very sensible idea drawn from history.

xoxoxoBruce 10-21-2010 10:33 PM

"...significant likelihood that they would perish in the attempt." Is not the same as definite knowledge that they're fucked.

Lamplighter 10-21-2010 11:14 PM

Maybe the same idea and risks when the Polynesians set out to sea,
and ended up discovering (all ?) the islands of the South Pacific.

Just thinking about that gives me chills...

footfootfoot 10-21-2010 11:21 PM

I wonder WTF those folks are smoking to draw a comparison between travel to another part of a planet that you know supports life and travel to another planet that you know does not support life.

Reminds me of the radio station ID that went "The songs we play may not be your favorites but they have a lot of the same notes." Same logic.

xoxoxoBruce 10-21-2010 11:35 PM

I'm sure there are people that would volunteer to go on a one way, I'm also sure there would people adamantly against allowing, financing it, or even officially condoning it.

Crimson Ghost 10-22-2010 02:41 AM

I'll go.

Shawnee123 10-22-2010 07:35 AM

*looks for sign-up sheet*

glatt 10-22-2010 07:38 AM

I bet the Canadian military pilot who flew Queen Elizabeth around and was just convicted of two murders and will spend the rest of his life in prison would be both qualified to go and would want to go instead of going to prison.

Spexxvet 10-22-2010 07:40 AM

Read Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson, for a completely fictional, yet entertaining, stroy of how it would work. Don't bother reading Green Mars or Blue Mars.

footfootfoot 10-22-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 689646)
I bet the Canadian military pilot who flew Queen Elizabeth around and was just convicted of two murders and will spend the rest of his life in prison would be both qualified to go and would want to go instead of going to prison.

I missed that item.

Just googled it and saw this line:
Quote:

Many are wondering how a man trusted with the country's most sensitive military secrets could have, for so long, kept so many secrets of his own.
Umm, wouldn't that be exactly the type of person you'd want to entrust with secrets? I mean someone who can keep a secret?

jimhelm 10-22-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 689649)
Read Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson, for a completely fictional, yet entertaining, stroy of how it would work. Don't bother reading Green Mars or Blue Mars.

agreed. i got 2/3 of the way through red mars.. poorly written and boring.

and i'm easy to entertain.

Lamplighter 10-22-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

That might be (or become) a solo mission

Pete Zicato 10-22-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Mars. The new Australia.

glatt 10-22-2010 11:23 AM

exactly

Gravdigr 11-09-2010 01:51 PM

The big difference between the pilgrims coming here, and staying, and us going to Mars, to stay: Existing food/water. We had it when the pilgrims came here.

There is no food on Mars. And no weed.