The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm confused (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33740)

BigV 09-28-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1015889)
I'll buy the earlier in the process issues -- and it would be nice if the committee actually cared. But lying about high school yearbook terminology? Bill Clinton should *definitely* have been impeached, if that is the standard. I don't think he should have been impeached, do you?

Clinton *was definitely* impeached, you could look it up.

Trump *could be* impeached, how's that workin out?

Kavanaugh's behavior as a young person is germane, for a couple reasons. One, what he did and how he's addressing it *now* is the main reason. He's lying and I don't want someone who's a liar on the Court. Two, it shows his hypocrisy and I don't want that on the Court either. The actions of other teenagers matter, but don't look at his. That's not fair.

I think I know why he won't call for an FBI investigation, why he won't call for Mark Judge to be subpoenaed--because he believes these actions will not help his case.

Maybe you think both were credible in telling their truth. But who do you think has more to gain from lying? Ford? To put herself and her family in the national spotlight and become the target of death threats when merely staying silent could avoid that? Or Kavanaugh? To avoid losing his shot at the Court *and* still be subject to criminal prosecution? It seems clear to me that he has more to gain from lying. He is lying. He is a liar.

tw 09-28-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1015888)
Neither was credible, neither convincing.

Multiple Republican Senators on that committee were quoted outside the conference room saying she sounded very credible.

Undertoad 09-28-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

we seem to have slid from "Ford and Kavanaugh were both legit"
SOUNDED legit was "our" starting point and I suppose "we" have?

Quote:

Clinton *was definitely* impeached, you could look it up
Do you figure he should have been removed from office?

Happy Monkey 09-28-2018 11:26 AM

The Republicans insisted on this being a he-said-she-said, refusing any investigation and refusing to call additional witnesses, so credibility is paramount. In that context, the importance of lies is vastly magnified.

Is it credible that a teenage boy is asking whether one of his friends has farted yet? When the common meaning for the term in question is something that teenage boys may dare each other to do?

He could have said that all the booze and sex references in his yearbook were teenage bluster. It would have meshed with his "I was outwardly embarrassed about being a virgin but inwardly proud" line.

About impeachment; it should have a much higher bar than a confirmation hearing. In Clinton's case, it didn't, and Brett Kavanaugh had a hand in that so he can hardly complain. If some of the other women's accusations against Clinton had borne out (and maybe some should have. Ken Starr certainly tried and failed, and I have a somewhat higher trust for negative results from hostile prosecutors than other combinations, but that's tempered by a general difficulty for accusations of this sort to get traction), then those would have justified it. As it is, he was impeached but not convicted, which was embarrassing for him, but mattered not a whit to his presidential power.

So I find it a bit disingenuous to respond to "lifetime appointment" with "he can be impeached". What does it matter if he's impeached? Do you think they'll come up with 67 Senators to convict him?

Happy Monkey 09-28-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1015898)
SOUNDED legit was "our" starting point and I suppose "we" have?

What does sounded legit mean if obvious lies don't count? Tone of voice?

Undertoad 09-28-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Do you think they'll come up with 67 Senators to convict him?
Do you think they wouldn't if they had proof?

Happy Monkey 09-28-2018 11:39 AM

Proof? Fake news.

[eta] not snark. That's exactly what I would expect.

henry quirk 09-28-2018 11:49 AM

"He is a liar."

Aren't they all?

Pretty sure if the level of scrutiny applied to Kav were applied to everyone in Washington, that place would be empty across all three branches.

Would any of us, here, in this forum, survive that kinda of nose-pokery?

I doubt it.

No, there was only one standard that mattered and that standard was poorly defended by the committee right and utterly pissed on by the committee left.

henry quirk 09-28-2018 11:52 AM

"Multiple Republican Senators...were quoted...saying she sounded very credible."

So what?

Happy Monkey 09-28-2018 11:54 AM

Or that. "Fake news" or "everybody does it". Or both at the same time.

Griff 09-28-2018 01:32 PM

Flake is trying to find a center. I hope it works because this is getting very ugly.

xoxoxoBruce 09-28-2018 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Judge and the women who came to support him...

glatt 09-28-2018 02:17 PM

Wow.

I know a photo is just an instant in time captured forever, but look at the repulsion on their faces.

captainhook455 09-28-2018 08:03 PM

Yup Dr. Ford is a credible witness. I think I will contribute to one of her 5 go fund me accounts which are at a total of $900,000 right now. Maybe she can buy some new eyeglasses.

sexobon 09-28-2018 09:25 PM

When this is over, can you imagine the make-up sex Ford and Kavanaugh are going to have!

Too soon?