The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   dumb computing multimedia question (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=896)

BrianR 01-10-2002 02:47 PM

dumb computing multimedia question

I have a series of mpeg clips on my hard drive that I want to play in sequence instead of opening
each one and viewing it and closing it again.

How do I string these together in one playlist or one file or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Nic Name 01-10-2002 03:07 PM

Doesn't Windows Media Player work for that? Just add the files into the playlist.

elSicomoro 01-10-2002 03:18 PM

Winamp allows you to do the same thing. I prefer Winamp over Media Player.

Ardax 01-10-2002 10:52 PM

Winamp is wonderful, but it's not very good for video clips. The plugins I've found are half-baked at best. Maybe he's doing audio, but I always think video when I see "mpeg clip".

ZoomPlayer is a pretty sweet program for video playing though. Uses DirectShow filters and ACM codecs to play files (that is, if Windows Media Player can handle it, ZoomPlayer can too), but it's a lot more lightweight the WMP 7/8 and a lot more powerful to boot.

elSicomoro 01-10-2002 11:29 PM

My bad...for whatever reason, I was thinking mp3's. My apologies. :)

Nic Name 01-10-2002 11:36 PM

Winamp beats WinMedia for MP3

In that case, I'm sure that most would favor Winamp ...

"it really whips the llama's ass!" or is it lama? :)

dave 01-11-2002 12:03 AM

It's "llama"

Little tip: Open up Winamp, and type this at the main window

<N><U><L><ESC><L><ESC><S><O><F><T>

Note that you don't actually type the <'s and the >'s - those just indicate separate key presses. So it's NULLSOFT with 2 esc's in there after the L's ('cause that'll Load a file, hence the L).

make sure you're using the default Winamp skin for it. I don't know if this still works - I haven't used Winamp in years. But it used to, and it was cute :)

Do the same thing to get it back.

As for mp3 playing, I gotta give mad props to Apple for iTunes. Apple's getting <b>everything</b> right these days. You should go buy an old iMac and use it. God. I used to hate Apple. Now I love them. Wow. Anyway, iTunes is amazing for mp3s. Multiple playlists at once, etc. It's great.

[edit - SHIT! Should be fixed now. ]

Nic Name 01-11-2002 12:37 AM

hmmm ... i was imagining, maybe, a Tibetan monk doing penance. :)

Ardax 01-11-2002 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
My bad...for whatever reason, I was thinking mp3's. My apologies. :)
No prob. 'course we still don't know what he's doing yet, so it might be a combination of both -- so we'd both be wrong. :) and right too.

dave 01-11-2002 11:03 AM

As for video, I know you could do it with iMovie, but I'm guessing you don't have a Macintosh, do you?

If you really need it done and can't find something to do it, I might be able to pimp it out on one of my boxes.

BrianR 01-11-2002 11:44 AM

more information

I have a series of MPEG video files each two minutes in length that need to go together
to make one long video file. I haven't been able to get WMP to add to the playlist... all it
does is make a new playlist for each clip, annoying me to no end.

I managed to get alll the files into one place but now I want to view the whole deal at
once like a real movie, not an emailed clip sequence.
I'm sure that WMP will do what I want it to do but I need the steps to perform to make it
all happen.

Thanks again

Brian

Nic Name 01-11-2002 11:55 AM

imovie

But then, you'd have to get a Mac, and all Windows users know ... they suck ... right? :)

jaguar 01-11-2002 04:00 PM

Macs rock, jsut so firgging expecsive. BTW: has macworld finished? I NEED them to release new laptops and G5s!

dave 01-11-2002 04:25 PM

Wait for MacWorld Tokyo & New York.

BrianR 01-20-2002 02:28 PM

upshot

No one here actually answered my question.

Does this mean that no one can, or no one remembers the question?

Mac people go back to your caves. I am stuck running Win 98.

Brian