The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

glatt 06-02-2013 04:53 PM

Saw Silver Linings Playbook the other night. I knew nothing about it going in, and was impressed with how good it was. Mostly I was impressed with Jennifer Lawrence. I thought she was just a teenage fluff actress from that Hunger Games movie, which I never saw, but she's really good. She's a real actress, and I think she'll be around for a while.

infinite monkey 06-02-2013 05:54 PM

i first saw jennifer lawrence in winter's bone. the first time i tried to watch it i was in the wrong mood, and panned it.

then i really watched it. she's amazing.

(i don't know from game of thrones...so winter's bone was my first impression of her talent.)

will watch silver linings playbook soon.

DanaC 06-03-2013 04:20 AM

You haven't seen GoT yet???

Infi...box set time, honey. Seriously good tv. Best fantasy drama on tv evah.

wanderer 06-03-2013 05:41 AM

Not very high rated, but it was a dark suspense movie set up in space: Pandorum. Immediately I started searching for similar flicks and came up with:
-Sunshine
-Event Horizon
-Moon
-Apollo 13
....and most were good enough for me.

orthodoc 06-03-2013 08:59 PM

Watched Reach and Parker lately but ... A Fish Called Wanda! An oldie but better than goodie.

Jamie Lee Curtis is perfect. John Cleese is divine! Michael Palin - omg. And Kevin Kline ... evil genius!!

infinite monkey 06-03-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 866865)
recently:

argo
million dollar baby
apollo 13 (rewatch)
arsenic and old lace (rewatch)
suspicion (hitchcock)
strangers on a train (hitchcock)
hitchcock
lincoln

since the levy passed our library is getting new (and new-old) movies all the time!

it's the unemployment thing. plus i'm reading a book almost every day. yes, i do leave the house, too...why do you ask? ;)

life of pi
mystic river
the bone collector
dan in real life

Ocean's Edge 06-06-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 867057)
Watched Reach and Parker lately but ... A Fish Called Wanda! An oldie but better than goodie.

Jamie Lee Curtis is perfect. John Cleese is divine! Michael Palin - omg. And Kevin Kline ... evil genius!!

Love love LOVE a Fish Called Wanda, but like Fierce Creatures even BETTER!

BigV 06-06-2013 08:13 PM

I disagree with your ranking of those two movies Ocean's Edge. A Fish Called Wanda is far better, classic!

Here we've been making our way through the season five discs of the True Blood franchise. There was a long gap in our viewing, and it's taken a few episodes to catch up with who's who. Nom nom nom nom Vampires!

Happy Monkey 06-06-2013 08:51 PM

True Blood- Awful show. I love it.

BigV 06-06-2013 09:00 PM

bwaahahahaha!!

Indeed.

Chocolatl 09-26-2013 09:15 PM

Just finished the 2009 Star Trek. Have never watched a Star Trek show or movie before in my life, but I loved this! Glad they made it accessible to new audiences.

chrisinhouston 09-27-2013 09:12 AM

Been watching lots of old DVDs because we got a new Sony BR/DVD player and can watch a lot of the DVDs I ripped from rentals a few years ago with DVD Shrink. They quit playing on our old LG player and most would freeze up in the last 1/2 hour or so which was really a frustrating way to end a movie. I wasn't sure if they were just copies going bad or a bad player. Turns out for the most part it was the player as we have only had a couple of them hang up with the new one.

Last night we watched Woody Allan's "Play it Again Sam."

I loved how Tony Roberts was constantly calling his office to tell them the phone numbers where he could be reached, even the Chinese restaurant where they were having dinner. Funny reminder of how cell phones have changed our lives. :rolleyes:

Gravdigr 09-27-2013 09:39 AM

The new Star Trek

Iron Man 3

Meh, on both counts.

Gravdigr 09-27-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 866919)
i first saw jennifer lawrence in winter's bone. the first time i tried to watch it i was in the wrong mood, and panned it.

then i really watched it. she's amazing.

(i don't know from game of thrones...so winter's bone was my first impression of her talent.)

Jennifer Lawrence is in "Game of Thrones"? How did that get by me?

I watched "Winter's Bone" and called her out as a future star. I think she will be one of our great actresses.

Chocolatl 09-27-2013 10:02 AM

She isn't it Game of Thrones. Maybe a slip up since she's in Hunger Games? Different game. :)