The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Gravdigr 09-27-2013 01:06 PM

Ah, too many games.

glatt 09-30-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 877345)
I watched "Winter's Bone" and called her out as a future star. I think she will be one of our great actresses.

I assumed she was all fluff since she was in Hunger Games, then I saw her in Silver Linings Playbook, and was really impressed. She deserves to be the next big star.

infinite monkey 09-30-2013 10:38 AM

Yeah, she's pretty amazing. She's that woman I look at and say "how is THAT fair?" ;)

I have the second season of Breaking Bad, 5th season of Mad Men, season 1 and 2 of Homeland, and various movies but I haven't been able to be interested in too much these days.

DanaC 10-01-2013 04:14 AM

i'm nearing the end of season 3 Breaking Bad.

Clodfobble 10-02-2013 08:03 AM

Oh damn, Dana, you are in for a treat.

You will want to get your hands on the first episode of Season 4 ASAP, that's all I'm saying. :)

DanaC 10-02-2013 08:34 AM

Oh man, it's ridiculous. I went to bed, the other night, having spent a couple of hours over at the two J's house being hard sold on a return to Breaking Bad (they're BB obsessed at the moment, as is my Bro), and figured I'd watch one episode from where I'd left off last time.

One thirty I ended up turning off my light! And even then it was an act of supreme self-control not to play the next episode.

Awesome stuff.

I have the whole of season 4 sitting on my harddrive in readiness :)

limegreenc 10-02-2013 11:43 AM

I just saw the last of the last of BB. No worries I won't spoil it for you. I was saying to someone at work yesterday 'WTF am I going to watch that would be even 1/4 as good'. Everyone here has been watching OITNB. Lots of lesbian sex apparently. :l. Does someone know if there's a story worth watching...?

Clodfobble 10-02-2013 02:17 PM

Yes, I've definitely enjoyed Orange Is The New Black. The heart-rending drama is not in one constantly ratcheting storyline like Breaking Bad, but rather the dozens of small but poignant backstories of each woman there in the prison. The side characters are at least as important as the main character, and there are episodes where she barely makes an appearance. Also, the lesbian sex stops being quite so prevalent after the first few episodes. I mean, it's still there, but only as relationship drama, less nudity.

On a side note, I also strongly recommend the show "Wilfred." Technically a drama, but wickedly funny as well.

DanaC 10-02-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limegreenc (Post 878121)
I just saw the last of the last of BB. No worries I won't spoil it for you. I was saying to someone at work yesterday 'WTF am I going to watch that would be even 1/4 as good'. Everyone here has been watching OITNB. Lots of lesbian sex apparently. :l. Does someone know if there's a story worth watching...?

Can I suggest trying The Walking Dead, if you haven't already?

The first couple of eps are basically a Zombie apocalypse movie, but then it turns into something altogether more interesting (not that zombie apocalypse stories aren't interesting in their own right). When you watch a zombie apocalypse movie it always ends after the initial horror. Really what is interesting is what happens next in this newly drawn world.

It becomes a character drama. It's about how groups of humans survive and rebuild.

As to Breaking Bad: I watched ep 1 of series 4 today. God it just keeps getting better.

Pico and ME 10-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limegreenc (Post 878121)

Have you seen Deadwood?

Happy Monkey 10-02-2013 05:41 PM

That show paints exquisite tapestries of profanity.

Quote:

Al Swearengen: I will profane your fucking remains, E.B.

E.B. Farnum: Not my remains, Al.

Al Swearengen: Gabriel's trumpet will produce you from the ass of a pig.

limegreenc 10-02-2013 09:42 PM

I'm not really into the whole zombie thing, but one of my older sisters absolutely loves it (she's the serious one). What is Deadwood and Wilfred about?

Clodfobble 10-05-2013 07:21 AM

Wilfred is about a young man (Elijah Wood) with depression, anxiety, and self-esteem issues. In the middle of attempting suicide with pills, his new neighbor comes to say hello, and he sees her dog Wilfred as a man in a dog costume, speaking clear (if profane) English. He wakes up from his failed suicide attempt, and discovers that the dog hallucination is persisting despite the drugs being out of his system. Everyone else sees Wilfred as just a normal dog.

Wilfred becomes his best friend, but is mostly a huge pain in the ass, teaching him life lessons the hard way. The series plays around a lot with what is real and what isn't (we later meet another character who can see Wilfred, but is that guy a hallucination too?) The humor is all down to the actor playing Wilfred, who also played the same role in the original Australian version of the series. It is raunchy, but very, very wittily raunchy. It is a drama, definitely not a cheap-joke sitcom. Ryan's struggle with his inner demons will break your heart sometimes, and you genuinely want him to find a way to get his shit together and win the neighbor girl.

Griff 10-05-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 878177)
That show paints exquisite tapestries of profanity.

That is a brilliant bit.

I'm gonna have to watch the next season of Wilfred. My women are watching Orange as well.

DanaC 10-05-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limegreenc (Post 878198)
I'm not really into the whole zombie thing, but one of my older sisters absolutely loves it (she's the serious one). What is Deadwood and Wilfred about?

Yeah. I was sceptical about a whole series based around a zombie apocalypse at first.

But it really isn't about zombies at all. It's a character drama. The zombies are just the background threat against which the character drama plays out. It could be anything. It could be wild beasts, or cylons, or aliens or whatever. The core of it is about human interaction and survival. What happens to people when the civilised world is ripped away.