The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 07:24 AM

Yeah. When will the government start legislating food, for people who are addicted to food and weigh 5000 pounds...and cost society in much the same ways as alcohol addiction in terms of being a productive member of our society or being a drain on resources and not contributing.

I would rather a person get home from work and relax by smoking a hoo-haa than lay around all day eating potato chips, buckets of chicken, and McDons by the truckload.

So, where does it end? When do we put shame on those with food addictions the way we put shame on smokers or drinkers? It's not nice to make fun of fat people. It's hilarious to make fun of smokers. :cool:

SamIam 04-20-2010 09:51 AM

Hold that thought, Shawnee. The military now considers school lunches to be a matter for national security.

Quote:

WASHINGTON – School lunches have been called many things, but a group of retired military officers is giving them a new label: national security threat.

That's not a reference to the mystery meat served up in the cafeteria line either. The retired officers are saying that school lunches have helped make the nation's young people so fat that fewer of them can meet the military's physical fitness standards, and recruitment is in jeopardy.

A new report being released Tuesday says more than 9 million young adults, or 27 percent of all Americans ages 17 to 24, are too overweight to join the military. Now, the officers are advocating for passage of a wide-ranging nutrition bill that aims to make the nation's school lunches healthier.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100420/...lunches_threat

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 09:55 AM

Ha! Yeah, we need 'em healthy so they can go get shot. Well, if anyone can influence the country, it's the military and the fear they inject into people whenever anything is a question of "national security."

:worried:

jinx 04-20-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 650142)

[eta] it always amazes me that the country that purports to want small government that keeps out of your personal life, also wants that government to regulate what you put into your mouths and veins. It doesn't get more personal than that. It is not the state's job to decide what I eat, smoke or inject.

Yes, as you're such a raging libertarian I can see why this would wind you up. It's just the state's job to feed, clothe, house, medicate, and educate you - otherwise they need to butt the hell out of your life, man!
You sound like a teenager.

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 12:54 PM

Wait a gawdam minute. Teh gubmint should be feeding and clothing and housing me?

THAT's what the fuck I've been doing wrong all this time. Those people always seem to be sitting pretty: no worries about gas costs or car payments or rent or the rising cost of groceries.

*runs to quit job and apply for gubmint assistance and to eat until I qualify for fatass pay*

:lol:

It's funny because it's fucking true.

disclaimer: not about any of you, just my disgruntled and disgusted opinion from someone who's worked their ass off their whole lives and never seems to get out from under it.

Now, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Cause, fuck it. :joint:

classicman 04-20-2010 12:55 PM

don't forget vacationing jinx

Clodfobble 04-20-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Well, if anyone can influence the country, it's the military and the fear they inject into people whenever anything is a question of "national security."

Hell yeah. If there's one thing the military knows how to do, it's get things done. Maybe not in the most efficient or elegant way, but it gets done. If it takes the military to teach parents that french fries are not a goddamn vegetable, then so be it.

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 01:41 PM

:lol: @ Clod.

squirell nutkin 04-20-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 650200)
Can anyone tell me a good reason why recreational drugs should be treated differently?

I think it was Terrence McKenna's book, "Food of the Gods" where he makes the argument that the only drugs that are sanctioned by society, are what he calls "industrial drugs." That is, drugs that make you a good industrial worker.
Caffeine to get you going in the morning and keep you going all day,Nicotine to keep your mind sharp, Then booze to take the edge off the caffeine and help you forget what a miserable shitty job you are enslaved to, sleeping pills to help you sleep so you are ready to get up and go again and even regular speed is tolerated as diet pills or to help you stay awake. The penalties for speed are lighter than for narcotics.

He posits that narcotics and psychedlics are not tolerated because they do not enhance your value as an industrial worker. Psychedelics especially since they encourage questioning of the status quo.

Gravdigr 04-20-2010 03:36 PM

Oh, for God's sake, let's not question anything...

lumberjim 04-20-2010 05:01 PM

question *these*

Gravdigr 04-20-2010 05:20 PM

They miss you.

DanaC 04-20-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 650294)
Yes, as you're such a raging libertarian I can see why this would wind you up. It's just the state's job to feed, clothe, house, medicate, and educate you - otherwise they need to butt the hell out of your life, man!
You sound like a teenager.

Ok. I see we've stepped away from pleasant and into downright insulting.

My point still stands: a country that favours small government that has no responsibility to ensure health care for all, and considers such a thing an abuse of of its role at the same time has some of the most illiberal drugs laws (not in all states I know) in the western world. I see that as conflicting.

TheMercenary 04-20-2010 06:04 PM

SO basically

Welfare State = Good

Personal Responsiblity = Bad.

Correct?

DanaC 04-20-2010 06:13 PM

No. That's not what I believe in.

Welfare state = necessary
Personal responsibility = also necessary.

I don't see thse as mutually exclusive.

I have a personal responsibility and I also share in a societal responsibility.