The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mrs Slocombe's Pussy (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19191)

DanaC 01-08-2009 05:47 PM

Mrs Slocombe's Pussy

There's been a thread of smut running through the Cellar lately, and I do like that. It makes me feel right at home does that.

To give you Merkins an idea of why I, and the other Brits here have such a refined sense of smut, here's an example of prime-time family entertainment from the early 70s. I used to like this show. I watched it with my mum and dad and brother. I couldn't swear to it but I may have watched it with my grandparents. It had simple comedy archetypes (The upper-class manager, the lower class caretaker, the Dizzy young blonde on the shop floor, the effeminate gay floor assistant in the men's section, etc etc) with a simple palette of catch phrases.

Mrs Slocombe has a cat. From this much mirth ensues. This is a collection of Mrs Slocombe's best moments.

Hopefully this explains much about the general smuttiness of British minds.

lumberjim 01-08-2009 05:57 PM

Are you being served was great dinnertime viewing at my house.

Aliantha 01-08-2009 06:02 PM

We used to watch that show when I was a kid too. It was very funny.

DanaC 01-08-2009 06:13 PM

Brilliant! You got to see it too:) That explains why you're all so filthy too

Did you get a lot of that stuff over there?

SteveDallas 01-08-2009 06:20 PM

Now can you explain Benny Hill?

Mrs. Dallas and I used to watch Are You Being Served regularly.

Aliantha 01-08-2009 06:23 PM

Yep, we got heaps of it here. Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Black Adder, Yes Minister...the list goes on and on. There was the one about the greeny couple with their rich neighbours (can't remember the name) and the dimwit Frank with the wife named Betty, On The Busses was another one we got too.

lumberjim 01-08-2009 06:24 PM

i love british comedy

fawlty towers, python, benny hill.... there were several others that would come on PBS at night before we had cable. there was a distinctly bawdy feel to most of them. like you had a better chance of catching a glimpse of something you oughtnt to have.

dar512 01-08-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 520239)
like you had a better chance of catching a glimpse of something you oughtnt to have.

Hmm. I think LJ might be going British. (wording sounded vaguely British to me)

footfootfoot 01-08-2009 07:10 PM

That 46 second video must reflect hours of takes ruined by someone on set cracking up.

Crimson Ghost 01-08-2009 08:10 PM

'Allo 'Allo, Open All Hours, Last Of The Summer Wine...

The Young Ones, Father Ted, Coupling...

DanaC 01-08-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 520238)
There was the one about the greeny couple with their rich neighbours (can't remember the name) and the dimwit Frank with the wife named Betty,

The Good Life and Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em :) He did all his own stunts you know. Went on to play the Phantom of the Opera.

Aliantha 01-08-2009 08:13 PM

Yeah...that's them. And yeah I knew he did Phantom too. Amazing really when you consider his character Frank. I think that was a big part of his appeal as the Phantom to be honest.

My Dad and I used to watch The Young Ones. That show was so gross. lol I remember the one where Neil had a cold and kept snotting everywhere. Eventually into a garbage bag. Ewwww...

Undertoad 01-08-2009 08:25 PM

I have the Young Ones collection with all the episodes on DVD.

If you google "cornflakes cornflakes" this is the first result.

monster 01-08-2009 08:37 PM

Dana, if I flick through the channels, it's a given I'll either be able to find "Are you being served" or "Keeping Up Appearances". I think the Merkin BritHumorPhiles have a thing about ladies of a certain age in twinsets and bouffant hairdos with fake posh accents.....

DanaC 01-08-2009 08:39 PM

I see. I knew Benny had made it over there, hadn't realised they had all the smut:P