The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 25, 2010: Kitty's 9th Life (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23017)

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2010 12:23 AM

June 25, 2010: Kitty's 9th Life

Better get a dog... or a Mongoose.

http://cellar.org/2010/snake.jpg

BigV 06-25-2010 01:00 AM

weird.

you just never see the pussy going into the snake.

zippyt 06-25-2010 02:34 AM

That Sir is fucked UP !!!

SPUCK 06-25-2010 03:57 AM

Mongi only work with cobras - the slowest of them all.

I new a herpetologist who'd tested the theory and found... boas love to eat mongooses.

I don't recognize that snake model. Seems sort of Australian but I dono.

I'm having a hard time understanding this picture. If it was a constrictor why and how would it be up 8 ft in the rafters somewhere a cat wouldn't be - with a cat? They don't back up once they attack. So it wouldn't back back up into the rafters after being on the floor making a kill. :confused:

This makes it all too clear.. It wasn't the dingos. :D

Pie 06-25-2010 08:13 AM

Aren't Friday pics supposed to be "awwwwww..." not :cry:?

Totally harshed my morning.

classicman 06-25-2010 08:14 AM

I'm too upset at the poor kitty to be mad at xob.

classicman 06-25-2010 08:15 AM

For Pie ....

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...ear-snakes.jpg

ZenGum 06-25-2010 08:37 AM

:lol: @ classic.

Uh, yeah it is kinda grim.

I can't say if that snake is Aussie or not, but it isn't a carpet python which is our most common python.

fargon 06-25-2010 08:40 AM

Thats not even nice, all I can think about is that poor kitty.

newtimer 06-25-2010 09:26 AM

Lacking any rope, Mittens killed a snake, tied it into a noose, and jumped off the highest rafter he could find. Ever since his owner had him fixed ('broken' is more like it, thought Mittens), he found he had lost the will to live any more.

Clodfobble 06-25-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUCK
I'm having a hard time understanding this picture. If it was a constrictor why and how would it be up 8 ft in the rafters somewhere a cat wouldn't be - with a cat? They don't back up once they attack. So it wouldn't back back up into the rafters after being on the floor making a kill.

I dunno about that particular breed of snake, but my (much smaller) ball pythons would often strike downward to pick the mouse up off the tank floor if they were already up in their little climby branches when it was feeding time. They wouldn't deliberately climb up there for an attack, but they spent a lot of time just hanging out up there, so it was an even chance it was faster to just reach down and grab the food. What's more, once they made the initial snatch, they would often recoil backwards in order to get more strength behind their grip or sometimes extra wraps around the mouse if the little guy was a fighter.

Also, what in the world makes you say a cat wouldn't be in the rafters? You only have cats with no legs or something?

Shawnee123 06-25-2010 09:30 AM

A good image of the day would be someone with gangrene of the genitals slicing their wrist with a butter knife while spiders crawl on their face and a giant clown lady barfs on them.

monster 06-25-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 666285)
A good image of the day would be someone with gangrene of the genitals slicing their wrist with a butter knife while spiders crawl on their face and a giant clown lady barfs on them.

check your PMs.......

spudcon 06-25-2010 09:37 AM

Great idea Shawnee! I'll get on it right away!:D

monster 06-25-2010 09:38 AM

Maybe the cat isn't quite dead in that pic.... maybe the camera person snapped a quick shot to aid the vetinary paramedics and then rushed to rescue the poor wee thing? See, it's waving.....

classicman 06-25-2010 10:08 AM

Ok so the cat repeatedly refused to clean the floor. Therefore mother snake had to take thing into her own hands, so to speak and force the cat to get the job done. Clearly the snake brought the cat up there just so that it could reach the mop.

spudcon 06-25-2010 10:16 AM

And the good witch said "Now you can all live in harmony, happily ever after." The End.

Spexxvet 06-25-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 666288)
Maybe the cat isn't quite dead in that pic.... maybe the camera person snapped a quick shot to aid the vetinary paramedics and then rushed to rescue the poor wee thing? See, it's waving.....

It's reaching for its tag team partner
http://hskitten.blogharbor.com/_phot...en%2080x80.jpg

xirene 06-25-2010 01:27 PM

Really disappointed in you

I've been a daily visitor to the IotD for about 5 yrs now, and this is my first comment, sadly to say that I will probably not be back.

You should have put a warning on this photo. This completely messed up my morning. I'm used to the Friday IotD being a cute or at the very least interesting animal photo, not a snuff shot.

You really failed here. Tasteless does not begin to describe the photo.

monster 06-25-2010 01:30 PM

Would you have felt the same if the cat had a limp snake in it's mouth?

I still maintain the cat's not dead. yet.

A warning might've been nice, though.

classicman 06-25-2010 01:44 PM

... agreed. This image was quite out of character for what most have come to expect as the IotD on a Friday..

@xirene - That being said, I think to make such a harsh decision based upon one out of thousands - seems a bit, no, way over the top.

lookout123 06-25-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtimer (Post 666283)
Lacking any rope, Mittens killed a snake, tied it into a noose, and jumped off the highest rafter he could find. Ever since his owner had him fixed ('broken' is more like it, thought Mittens), he found he had lost the will to live any more.

Freakin hilarious spin on a grim situation. Love it.

lumberjim 06-25-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xirene (Post 666330)
I've been a daily visitor to the IotD for about 5 yrs now, and this is my first comment, sadly to say that I will probably not be back.

You should have put a warning on this photo. This completely messed up my morning. I'm used to the Friday IotD being a cute or at the very least interesting animal photo, not a snuff shot.

You really failed here. Tasteless does not begin to describe the photo.

Interesting commentary. A shame that you've taken and taken and taken over these 5 years, and never had the decency to say thanks...

and yet, the first time you get upset, you are motivated to whine and cry about it. I'm very dissapointed in YOU. glad you're leaving. don't let the door hit your weak pointless ass.

lookout123 06-25-2010 02:06 PM

Hey LJ, maybe we should start a thread to discuss the problem of bloodsucking lurkers and how to fix the problem. could you work on that for us?

lumberjim 06-25-2010 02:13 PM

My theory is that most lurkers are democrats and communists.

lookout123 06-25-2010 02:20 PM

Absolutely, as evidenced by the fact that they suck and hate america. Counting down the 3 minutes until Redux posts a government paid study refuting this premise.

Diaphone Jim 06-25-2010 02:41 PM

We haven't had a graphic caution in a looong time (if you don't count the fako velvet painting of the monkey and the leopard). I wonder if one here would have kept anyone away, especially xirene (who apparently joined today to say goodbye) and usually tougher shawnee.
I would have looked anyway, thought medium-yuck and enthusiastically gone on to read these comments.
The photo is quite a few places on the web, but with never an explanation, except for maybe Australia and maybe python.
Most predators have a pretty good eye for what to kill, sometimes called a prey image or picture. While the extent of the snake is hard to determine, it looks as if he has bitten off more than he can chew, so to speak.
I would not be surprised to find that they were both dead and then set up.

Shawnee123 06-25-2010 02:47 PM

Huh? What did I do? :cool:

At least my joke was remotely funny! :lol:

squirell nutkin 06-25-2010 03:09 PM

We identify with cats to a greater degree than snakes it seems. Fact is on this planet, every one and everything lives at the expense of something else's life. Something has to die so that you can live.

Still, what makes that a sad picture is two fold:

1. Most of us identify with the cat
2. The death of the cat did not increase the number of pictures of naked chicks.

Cloud 06-25-2010 07:48 PM

seriously awful.

HungLikeJesus 06-25-2010 08:02 PM

I think the title was sufficient warning.

Flint 06-25-2010 08:06 PM

Oh crap! A useless, non-contributing leach was needlessly upset during the passive consumption of their daily FREE entertainment. Well, luckily I know something about the internet. NOBODY who says they "are leaving" REALLY leaves. Especially a worthless, do-nothing lurker whose existence serves no discernable purpose. I happen to know that "xirene" will be back around, time and time again, to see the result of their childish little tirade.

By the way, if this image "ruins your day" then you seriously need to go see a physician to correct the chemical imbalances that are wreaking havoc upon your already enfeebled brain tissue. A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"

jinx 06-25-2010 08:15 PM

Yeah!
And don't forget to hit the tip jar!

squirell nutkin 06-25-2010 08:44 PM

Yeah!
And don't let the tip jar hit your ass on the way out!

What jinx said.

Flint 06-25-2010 08:55 PM

IotD Crossoverİ

1 Attachment(s)
Don't end up with the tip jar up your ass!

ZenGum 06-25-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life death!"
Just sayin.

Flint 06-25-2010 09:03 PM

Life is death. Death is life.

ZenGum 06-25-2010 09:13 PM

True freedom is doing what you are told. Flint is sane.

Pie 06-25-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 666455)
Life is death. Death is life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 666428)
By the way, if this image "ruins your day" then you seriously need to go see a physician to correct the chemical imbalances that are wreaking havoc upon your already enfeebled brain tissue. A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"

Death makes me sad. Sorry if you think I'm unhinged.

Flint 06-25-2010 10:11 PM

No, you're cool. You didn't pull the crybaby "I'm leaving" routine like xirene.

squirell nutkin 06-25-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 666331)
Would you have felt the same if the cat had a limp snake in it's mouth?

I still maintain the cat's not dead yet; it's pining for the fjords.

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2010 10:24 PM

I checked with Hallmark, they don't have an apology card for that image, so suck it up.

monster 06-25-2010 10:32 PM

They don't? If anyone has Hallmark shares... SELL!

Meanwhile...

Sometimes the cats in our lives
Get taken from us by surprise
But a snake in the hand
Is worth 12 bucks a pound
So cheer up and see the bright side

aero geek 06-25-2010 10:57 PM

It is just an image of one animal (possibly) killing another one. The end. It's just nature. There are no evil animals as far as I can tell and I don't get how someone can claim that there was something wrong with that image which is merely a momentary observation of nature. I also wonder if xirene is a meat eater and realizes what animals go through just before they are slaughtered. Reading IOTD for five years and now going to stop because of one post? Yeah, right!:eyebrow:

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2010 10:59 PM

She's rather hang out on Deviant Art.

dezireless 06-25-2010 10:59 PM

I just joined today. Death and empathy are a funny thing. Too often we accuse the predator of being the bad guy when even we ourselves take the role of snakes. The predator prey relationship predates the concepts of good and evil. :yeldead:

spudcon 06-25-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 666340)
My theory is that most lurkers are democrats and communists.

Lumberjim nails it again!:thumb:

lumberjim 06-25-2010 11:03 PM

it's what I do.

:: takes a bow ::

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2010 11:04 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, dezireless. :D

Not you, spudcon. :p:

HungLikeJesus 06-25-2010 11:40 PM

It's just WWF.

Relax.

SPUCK 06-26-2010 04:00 AM

That snake was hired by one of the two hundred slaughtered bird's relatives that were killed by the cat - merely for 'entertainment'. It was just a balancing of the books.

toranokaze 06-26-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 666285)

Shawnee just when I think I'm into the weirdest shit you have to go and up the ante

And Cat it is whats for dinner

Pie 06-26-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 666509)
It's just WWF.

Relax.

Nuh uh.

The WWF is the World Wide Fund for Nature.
http://www.bostonteacampaign.com/ima...s/WWF_Logo.jpg

World Wrestling Entertainment is the WWE:
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...s/wwe-logo.jpg

Don't fuck with the panda.

squirell nutkin 06-26-2010 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Cicero 06-26-2010 01:26 PM

Sick. Sometimes I find the natural world to be sick and repulsive. So why am I so apt and ready to defend it all the time?
Move along/ off quasi-rant.

squirell nutkin 06-26-2010 01:40 PM

Too much Disney at an impressionable age. Don't feel bad, it has happened to all of us.

ogwen69 06-26-2010 02:22 PM

<delurk>

Been reading this for years, love the site - miss it when I'm on holiday, occasionally post.

Animals kill animals to eat. I pay people to kill cows so I can haz cheezburger. It's how the world works.

Maybe the title could have given a little more warning, I was a little taken aback by the image, maybe 'cat runs out of lives' or something.

I think never visisitng again is a bit of an over reaction. Unfortunatley we don't live in a world where everything is teh fluffeh so, yeah, that's all i've got to say

</relurk>

(p.s. for the pedants I know my html tags don't work even in theory but hey....)

monster 06-26-2010 04:32 PM

<appreciates>
Teh ogwen
</appreciates>

SPUCK 06-27-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 666592)

http://www.cellar.org/attachment.php...1&d=1277576757

:rotflol::D:rotflol::D:rotflol::D:rotflol::D:rotflol:

Gravdigr 06-27-2010 01:55 PM

I don't really want to see dead household pets. If I'd posted that picture you people would have clogged the internet to condemn for it.