The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

footfootfoot 10-17-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 910178)
You should write a blog. Title it "Grumpy Movie Watching Guy."

I'm trying to remember the last movie you recommended. Something about some superhero or otherbeing and the struggles encountered within that whatever realm that we are too naive to understand, because of the superstuff?

Just messing with you. I thought Nebraska was hilarious, and I loved the cinematography. I thought Jared Leto was brilliant in Dallas Buyers Club. So sue me. :)

I wrote an hilarious and witty reply to this post a few weeks ago and then my computer lost its internet connection and the post was lost. I can't remember what I wrote but you should just laugh heartily right now.

infinite monkey 10-17-2014 09:34 AM

And so I did!

BigV 10-17-2014 10:52 AM

Last weekend Twil and I watched:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Gone Girl

The Road

and Gone Girl was the lightweight of the bunch. I thought all were well done, but I don't want to watch any of them again. wooooof.. heavy.

footfootfoot 10-17-2014 11:48 AM

Oh Christ, the guy who did No Country for Old Men? Heavy is an understatement, I bet.

Gravdigr 10-17-2014 02:37 PM

I liked 'The Road'.

I like post-apocalyptic stuffs.

DanaC 10-17-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 912179)

I like post-apocalyptic stuffs.

I only really like post apocalyptic stuffs when there's zombies...

footfootfoot 10-20-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 912186)
I only really like post apocalyptic stuffs when there's zombies...

and Simon Pegg

DanaC 10-20-2014 11:56 AM

And, as m'learned colleague so rightly says, Simon Pegg.

Gravdigr 11-16-2014 02:43 PM

Last night I was fortunate enough to see Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways To Die In The West".

So many jokes. So many. It was hilarious. It was...tiring.

Below is minor spoiler material.

My favorite line in the entire movie involved the part of the storyline concerning this man who is smitten with the local whore soiled dove. They love each other, and he wants to do the nasty (he never has), but, the working girl (Sarah Silverman) is a Christian and wants to wait til they get married. All the while, fucking every randy dick in the territory. Loudly. For money. And with vigor.

When he finally talks her into it, you hear them, under the covers. After some effort on both their parts (<--hee) to get in position, you hear the guy (Giovanni Ribisi - who does stupid like nobody's business) give out this long, entry-oriented "AaaaahhhhhhhhhnowIgetit."

I about cracked a rib.

This movie is great. This movie is awful. This movie is stupid.

I loved it. I highly recommend it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Griff 11-16-2014 05:27 PM

must see.

Some Russell Brand thing on the shelf here, really don't want to see him in anything.

BigV 11-16-2014 09:17 PM

I watched Network the other night. Wow, what a great movie. Potent, powerful message. It has not lost an ounce of meaning since it debuted in 1976. I found myself drawn toward my own window with a desire to shout "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!" I feel formal education in the area of media literacy should be as compulsory as reading, riting and rithmetiking, or whatever the young people today call it. What Network has to say about that subject is just as true today as it was when it was released, but the importance, the real and potential impact is vastly more pervasive.

I urge you to watch this movie.

DanaC 11-17-2014 04:16 AM

One of my all time favourite films!

The shouting out the window moment is truly awesome.

infinite monkey 05-02-2015 03:43 PM

Last night (well, this morning as I didn't get off work until 1 am) I watched The Onion Field. I had bought the dvd some time ago and was in the right mood to watch it. It was really good. It addressed racism and ptsd before that had a name I think. Good acting and good true story.

infinite monkey 05-23-2015 12:32 PM

Watched Boyhood. I loved it. I think it's great how it was filmed over 12 years and the young actors actually grew up before our eyes.

It doesn't have any car crashes or medieval hordes, but you might like it anyway.

DanaC 05-23-2015 01:06 PM

Mmmm....I dunno...does it at least have zombies? I can live without the car crashes and medieval hordes, as long as there are zombies. And big guns. Does it have big guns?