The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What has shocked you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30073)

monster 04-23-2014 10:27 PM

What has shocked you today?

I just learned that a friend had a heart attack yesterday (A parent of my daughter's peer and long-time classmate/teammate who works alongside me on the score table at swim meets). Seemingly young (ish), fit, and healthy, no red flags, no warning signs. I shouldn't be shocked given my stroke last year, but I am. :/ Looks like he'll escape jail/hospital tomorrow, so that's good, but still......

BigV 04-24-2014 02:27 AM

I'm a bit shocked to learn that in Michigan you might wind up in jail for having a heart attack.

YIKES!

Aliantha 04-24-2014 02:51 AM

I'll tell you what I didn't get shocked by today.

The spa heater or the wiring in my house.

It was nice.

Clodfobble 04-24-2014 05:19 AM

My dad had a heart attack around age 44, for no apparent reason. The doctors saved him, and he's never had any trouble in the 20+ years since. Crazy flukes are crazy (unlike parasitic flukes, which are just gross.)

Griff 04-24-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 897544)
I'm a bit shocked to learn that in Michigan you might wind up in jail for having a heart attack.

YIKES!

Thanks Obamacare! ;)

monster 07-12-2016 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the Sale-planning instructions for the Deli a little shocking this week. as a Brit.

orthodoc 07-12-2016 07:24 PM

Does POS mean what I think it means?

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2016 07:25 PM

Point of Sale.

orthodoc 07-12-2016 07:43 PM

Yes, I know. ;)
I was just being difficult.

monster 07-12-2016 08:10 PM

It does as far as I'm concerned -scanner's nightmare

monster 07-12-2016 08:10 PM

Did you find the bit that might shock a Brit, though?

monster 07-12-2016 08:11 PM

(well apart from the grammar)

orthodoc 07-12-2016 08:14 PM

Let's see ...

"You MUST get ahead on cooking off birds"?

Idk, my ancestors were Brits so this is third-hand. Imma Canuck.

footfootfoot 07-12-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 964522)
Did you find the bit that might shock a Brit, though?

How shockingly tiny that picture is?

glatt 07-12-2016 08:43 PM

WOGS sounds like it might be British slang for something dirty

orthodoc 07-12-2016 08:48 PM

It is. Or was - it may be out of date.

monster 07-12-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 964534)
WOGS sounds like it might be British slang for something dirty

bingo, but not dirty

footfootfoot 07-12-2016 10:04 PM

Wogs begin in Calais.

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 964515)
Yes, I know. ;)
I was just being difficult.

So was I. ;)

Clodfobble 07-13-2016 12:59 AM

Quote:

If you're not seeing someone making chicken salad all day, then you're not doing it right.
I think more corporate memos ought to be phrased this way.

"If you're not seeing someone order up on wogs all day, then you're not doing it right."
"If you're not seeing someone protected from mesothelioma all day, then you're not doing it right."
"If you're not seeing someone for your fear of inadequacy, then you're not doing it right."

Griff 07-13-2016 06:34 AM

*shudder*
Are they worried about somebodies flair falling in the salad? Cuz I am.

BigV 07-13-2016 03:28 PM

Shocked by the amount of money it's gonna take to take care of a couple teeth. >$4000.00

Undertoad 07-13-2016 04:36 PM

Yeah I got that too... :(

or should I use this as an emoticon :F

Friend went to Temple dental school and got a lot of work half price, but only at the waste of tremendous amounts of time that you can't do if you're employed....

CharlesWright1579 07-28-2016 06:38 AM

Yeah I got that too... :|

footfootfoot 07-29-2016 12:50 PM

Discovering gambling in this establishment.

Gravdigr 07-29-2016 02:59 PM

:D

infinite monkey 07-29-2016 06:52 PM

Huh?

footfootfoot 07-29-2016 09:43 PM

monster 07-30-2016 12:33 AM

wtf did you do to your teeth that's so expensive to fix? Are you having them replaced with hen's teeth cultivated by virgin cheerleaders?

infinite monkey 07-30-2016 01:15 AM

Re: bogart. Lmao!!!!,

footfootfoot 07-30-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 965523)
wtf did you do to your teeth that's so expensive to fix? Are you having them replaced with hen's teeth cultivated by virgin cheerleaders?

According to my dentist it's usually what you didn't do to your teeth, e.g. brushing, flossing, regular cleanings, brushing again, and laying off the sticky sweet stuff and not sipping sweetened coffee all day. And of course, refraining from biting rocks or opening beer bottles with your teeth.

Since it's BigV I'm going to go with biting leather to impart an interesting texture to some BDSM appliance for $500, Alex.

infinite monkey 07-30-2016 09:59 AM

I'll take 'fell on the playground and shoved a tooth up into my head and the chain reaction of lifetime dental issues'for 1000, alex.

It's expensive and painful to have teeth under those circumstances. Bv might have similar issues.

footfootfoot 07-30-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 965542)
I'll take 'fell on the playground and shoved a tooth up into my head and the chain reaction of lifetime dental issues'for 1000, alex.

It's expensive and painful to have teeth under those circumstances. Bv might have similar issues.

A long time standard in dentistry for low income Vermonters is to pull all your teeth when you are young. I worked with a number of people who had full dentures in their 20s. Pulling teeth is cheaper than fillings and root canal.

Gravdigr 07-30-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 965546)
A long time standard in dentistry for low income Vermonters is to pull all your teeth when you are young. I worked with a number of people who had full dentures in their 20s. Pulling teeth is cheaper than fillings and root canal.

We have that same tradition in Kentucky, but here, it's just for the pain pills.:neutral:

elSicomoro 08-02-2016 02:21 AM

My dad knocked several of his teeth out in his early 20s...they gave him dentures. This was the mid-60s.

Sundae 08-02-2016 03:10 AM

False teeth were an acceptable wedding present before WWII. Grandad was viewed with some bemusement for holding onto his chompers rather than having them replaced. They lasted til he died in his 80s.

I think I must have inherited mine from his side of the family - no work done EVAH. None out, no braces (though they'd look nicerer if I had) no fillings, nowt.

monster 08-04-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 965542)

exactly .... (almost) no-one here strikes me immediately as someone who wouldn't take care of their teeth ....must be a story.....

monster 08-04-2016 04:03 PM

..... I have some crowns from wear and tear etc ...but nothing like that $$$$!

Gravdigr 08-04-2016 06:04 PM

3 broken jaw teeth. From clenching. Anger/rage issues.

footfootfoot 08-04-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 965947)
3 broken jaw teeth. From clenching. Anger/rage issues.

Aren't all teeth jaw teeth?

sexobon 08-04-2016 06:48 PM

A jaw tooth is a back tooth (i.e. molar). The uppers and lowers occlude when you clench your teeth.

footfootfoot 08-04-2016 07:14 PM

I figured he meant molars but still, they are all in the jaw right? Well, except the three he broke.

Undertoad 08-04-2016 07:20 PM

*snort*

Gravdigr 08-05-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 965951)
Well, except the three he broke.

There still there, somewhat...to the gumline anyway.

Molars, yeah. The big ones.

"Jawteeth" may be a Kentuckyism.

glatt 08-25-2016 11:20 PM

My elderly cousin died this evening. It shocked me because I thought he had a week or so left in him.

I'm happy for him. His life at the end was pretty miserable and it isn't any longer. But now, even though I am tired, I am wired. I got up to make lists of all the people I have to call tomorrow so I could stop thinking about it.

My POA has expired, so I can't do much official, but I still have half a dozen things left to do. And I left a phone number at work that I will need. So I guess I have to go in for at least an hour or so.

Sorry, I'm yammering. Gotta turn this brain off.

Gravdigr 08-25-2016 11:43 PM

Sorry about your cousin, dude.

infinite monkey 08-26-2016 01:52 AM

Aw crap, glatt. You did good by him. I know there is more to do but you are entrusted because you are you...a good person. Hang in there.

Griff 08-26-2016 06:44 AM

What they said and a pat on the back.

Clodfobble 08-26-2016 08:40 AM

From what you've told us about here, you were clearly a huge help to him over the last couple of years. It's natural to be wired, but even if something falls through the cracks for a bit, it's not the end of the world. You'll be okay.

glatt 08-27-2016 07:50 AM

Thanks!

The one noteworthy thing about the end was that he was in a rehab facility. A rehab facility is meant to improve the patient. Medicare will pay 100% for the first 20 days but the patient is expected to make progress. My cousin had given up and stopped eating, so he was no longer a candidate for rehab. So on Tuesday, I met with the entire team, signed up for hospice care for him and asked that he be discharged for hospice. It takes a day or two to put in place. On Thursday morning, the rehab place did bloodwork and saw elevated white blood count and so started him on IV antibiotics. This was against the wishes I expressed on Tuesday when I said no to feeding tubes and IV hydration. But their position was that as long as he was still in their care, they had to treat him because they are a rehab place and not hospice. By starting him on a course of antibiotics, they needed to keep him for the 4 day course and couldn't discharge him until Monday. The cynic in me couldn't help but notice that Monday was going to be day 20 and Medicare would stop paying on Monday. But it backfired on them because he died on them and that has got to be bad for their numbers.

classicman 08-27-2016 09:50 AM

Sorry for your loss. You did a TON for him even though you weren't really, as you've said, "close."
That further shows what a great person you are. Good on you.

BigV 08-27-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 967645)
Thanks!

The one noteworthy thing about the end was that he was in a rehab facility. A rehab facility is meant to improve the patient. Medicare will pay 100% for the first 20 days but the patient is expected to make progress. My cousin had given up and stopped eating, so he was no longer a candidate for rehab. So on Tuesday, I met with the entire team, signed up for hospice care for him and asked that he be discharged for hospice. It takes a day or two to put in place. On Thursday morning, the rehab place did bloodwork and saw elevated white blood count and so started him on IV antibiotics. This was against the wishes I expressed on Tuesday when I said no to feeding tubes and IV hydration. But their position was that as long as he was still in their care, they had to treat him because they are a rehab place and not hospice. By starting him on a course of antibiotics, they needed to keep him for the 4 day course and couldn't discharge him until Monday. The cynic in me couldn't help but notice that Monday was going to be day 20 and Medicare would stop paying on Monday. But it backfired on them because he died on them and that has got to be bad for their numbers.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear this sad news, you and your family are in my thoughts.

As for the course of treatment and the other details, you said your POA expired, that's unusual, to my understanding. How/why was it limited? Why was it not renewed? I can't imagine it was for any cause on your part.

Anyhow, as to the treatment contrary to his express wishes, I find that part sad and frustrating. Taken to the extreme it could be criminal, think of the forced sterilizations while in a doctor's care. I don't think care provided by medical professionals should ever be contrary to a person's wishes. I find that reprehensible. I do understand the instinct borne of good intentions and long training to preserve and extend life. Those instincts by themselves are good. But not superior to a patient's wishes. I don't know the law where you live, but here assisted suicide is legal. Obviously, this was no suicide, but even less polarizing ideas like Do No Resuscitate (DNR) orders are widely accepted.

I agree with your observation that the appearance of piling on the charges is pretty obvious. I have lots of other complaints and thoughts for improvement to our current for profit healthcare delivery system, and your description of this incident fits neatly into that "thread". But I have a question, did your elderly cousin have is wishes expressed in writing? Did he have someone assigned a Healthcare POA? Saying "express wishes" and showing the people in charge of the care such a document are two very different situations, and I would expect very different outcomes.

Still, very sorry for you and your family. You probably have a lot more work ahead of you. I wish you strength and peace.

Gravdigr 08-27-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 967686)
I agree with your observation that the appearance of piling on the charges is pretty obvious.

That's where I went, too.

I wonder what their mark-up is for IV antibiotic$?

glatt 08-27-2016 06:03 PM

My POA expired the instant he died. Not before.

He had his wishes spelled out in an advanced medical directive, and I was named as the official decision maker in that same document. I had already verbally told them no feeding tube and no IV for hydration, and those were dictated for him in the document if he was in a coma OR if death was imminent. It was all very clear.

I think the key was that this was a rehab facility. They are the opposite of hospice. I think they crossed a line when they delayed his move to hospice.

None of it really matters. They took good care of him and he was comfortable. So he died in their bed instead of someone else's bed. What they did was "wrong" in my opinion but it didn't harm him in any way. They bilked the taxpayer out of several hundred dollars though.

classicman 08-28-2016 07:23 AM

In my understanding, this is not uncommon. DNR's are routinely "ignored" at many/most care facilities - hospitals, rehabs homes etc.
The providers are under such scrutiny that they err on the side of life - virtually every time. Wrongful death lawsuits abound and there is no coming back from the dead. This leaves the individual providers and the institutions very leery about it all. I have seen this firsthand and experienced it through several friends in the TBI/disabled community.

monster 07-17-2017 10:03 PM

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...rt_river_index

This is my kids' school. I know both of these boys. They are Hockey Boy's former teammates in high school hockey and grade school soccer. The nice, polite boys, not the trouble-makers.

I'm sad that -if they did this- they are just the wrong side of 18 and might pay a colossal price. Already they are named. Even if they turn up innocent, who will hire them? Which colleges will take them? One had a full scholarship to a pretty decent local State School to study business. I doubt he will now. His dad was so proud. :cry:

xoxoxoBruce 07-17-2017 11:09 PM

Sound like two perfect candidates for an MBA.

glatt 07-18-2017 07:38 AM

Well, that sucks. Dumb decision. Otherwise good people do stupid stuff sometimes.

Their clothing and masks shows premeditation and intent. That won't be good for them.

sexobon 07-18-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 992502)
... they are just the wrong side of 18 and might pay a colossal price. ...

Maybe they'll get one of those judges who'll give them a choice of going to trial; or, going into the military and being shipped off to Afghanistan where they're always looking for new IED detectors.

monster 08-27-2017 09:03 PM

forced to create yet another account for yet another website that really doesn't need password protecting etc ......very surprised it let me use "fuck" as a password. Usually, one has to create an 8-char min letter, number, uppercase, symbol combo just to see the weekly ad at the local grocery store! I hate the company, but that's almost enough to make me consider buying something from them.

(it's a school team thing)