The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Battle: Los Angeles (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24714)

lookout123 03-12-2011 11:52 PM

Battle: Los Angeles

I have to tell you that this movie is horrible. The acting is less than stellar, the plot is about as deep as a 13 year old boy's cleavage, and from a military standpoint it is tactical bullshit. It is also the best $8 I've spent in a long time.

If you put Signs, Black Hawk Down, and Halo together, Battle: Los Angeles would come out.

It's so awesomely horrible that it is a must see.

smoothmoniker 03-13-2011 02:37 PM

I can't wait. I get a perverse thrill from seeing LA in any kind of post-apocalyptic or blow-em-up flick where places I regularly see in real live get utterly destroyed. Going out with a group of guys next week to see it. For some strange reason, our wives aren't interested ...

Razzmatazz13 03-14-2011 02:17 AM

Well that review is unfortunate but expected... the husband really wants to see it, and when we were at the theater on Friday the lines were into the parking lot for the 9pm showing. Haven't heard from the guys whether they liked it or not.

(We ended up not being able to see any movie that night because for some reason the only civilian movie theater within 50 miles is cash only, and we only had $4 on us. So we went to wal mart and bought blazing saddles instead from the $5 rack. Woo!)

lookout123 03-14-2011 02:24 AM

Please don't misunderstand Razz. I'd gladly pay double my $8 to see it again. It was horribly awesome or awesomely horrible. Take your pick.

smoothmoniker 03-22-2011 06:12 PM

Saw it on Sunday night - an awful movie, but a good time!

I like Roger Ebert's summary, "To call this movie science-fiction is an insult to the words 'science', 'fiction' and the hyphen in between."

lookout123 03-22-2011 10:44 PM

That may be the first Ebert quote I've ever agreed with.

Pete Zicato 03-23-2011 10:50 AM

I like this one:

Quote:

But if you do not have some secret place in your soul that still responds even
a little to brave cowboys, beautiful princesses and noble horses, then you are
way too grown up and need to cut back on cable news.
-- Roger Ebert (Review for Hidalgo)

smoothmoniker 03-23-2011 11:14 AM

Sweet! I worked on that film - played on the ending credits song.

Pete Zicato 03-23-2011 11:24 AM

Cool. Keyboard?

Griff 03-23-2011 12:25 PM

Awesome! I loved that film.

Gravdigr 03-23-2011 04:19 PM

I see you folks like a little more realism in your alien-invasion movies...:neutral:

smoothmoniker 03-23-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 718147)
Cool. Keyboard?

Actually, it was a bizarre session. The producer didn't book a proper band, she just hired people she thought it would be cool to hang out with. Then, when it came time to record the parts, whoever was closest and / or could fumble their way through on the instrument grabbed it and played it.

I ended up playing keyboards, nylon string guitar, percussion, singing background vocals, and writing string parts.

Because it was Disney (Buena Vista), it was a union session, which means you get paid an extra session rate for each new instrument you play. It was the best paying session of my life, ever.

Then ... they ended up cutting the song from the movie! It was released on the soundtrack and on the DVD, but not in the theatrical release.

You gotta love movie budgets, where they can afford to blow $50k on a song, then NOT use it! Those of us over on the music side of the industry can barely manage to scrape together $50k to make a whole album these days.

Pete Zicato 03-23-2011 10:43 PM

Amazing. If you ever have the time/inclination it would be cool if you'd write up some of your experiences.

smoothmoniker 03-24-2011 12:36 AM

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20554