The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   November 25th - International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18799)

Mixx 11-24-2008 08:29 AM

November 25th - International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.

On 17 December 1999, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted Resolution 54/134 and declared November 25th the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.

Violence against women is no myth, it happens. Its a crime and its a repugnant vile act. November 25 commemorates the brutal assassination of 3 sisters in the Dominican Republic that were highly visible political activists who were on their way to visit their husbands in prison.

The sisters who were referred to as "Inolvidables Mariposas", the "Unforgettable Butterflies", have become symbols of brutalized women everywhere.They have been commemorated in poems, songs and books.They are symbols against prejudice and stereotypes, and their lives raised the spirits of all those they encountered and later, after their death, not only those in the Dominican Republic but others around the world.

Below you will see a link to a white ribbon graphic on November 25 please place this on your homepage to show your solidarity against violence toward women. I urge you to please do this to show that you, like I, will not tolerate vile acts like this. For the guys, this symbol is your pledge to show the world that you will never stoop to this level.

Research websites, get behind your local charities who are supporting this initiative and help us spread the message that violence is never ok or acceptable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ite_ribbon.png

Flint 11-24-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixx (Post 507463)
Violence against women is no myth, it happens. Its a crime and its a repugnant vile act. November 25 commemorates the brutal assassination of 3 sisters in the Dominican Republic that were highly visible political activists who were on their way to visit their husbands in prison.

That sounds more like violence against "highly visible political activists" than "women" in particular. I'm confused as to what is being commemorated.

Bullitt 11-24-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixx (Post 507463)
Violence against women is no myth, it happens. Its a crime and its a repugnant vile act.

So is violence against men.
Why is shooting an unarmed woman in the head more vile than shooting an unarmed man in the head?

xoxoxoBruce 11-24-2008 09:37 AM

Because men are scum, and women are sweet angels that never do wrong.:rolleyes:

classicman 11-24-2008 09:52 AM

What a butt-munch!

Bullitt 11-24-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 507480)
Because men are scum, and women are sweet angels that never do wrong.:rolleyes:

/thread

Mixx 11-24-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 507477)
So is violence against men.
Why is shooting an unarmed woman in the head more vile than shooting an unarmed man in the head?

Did I say it was

I didn't make the resolution and didn't create the issue. Take it up with the U.N. All I'm doing is passing on information. When someone does make a commerative day about what you are on a soapbox about then I will gladly promote it with equal gusto. Geez...what are you like on veterans day Champ?

I'm (not) sorry that an subject like this offends your ego. Man up and get over it.

jinx 11-24-2008 04:17 PM

I can't wait until the UN moves to China...

Aliantha 11-24-2008 04:19 PM

I'm surprised that this is the first it seems a number of posters here have heard about this resolution.

I've seen it advertised here on TV. Mind you, we also have adds that talk about stopping violence against women and children in general anyway. It's a pretty major part of social discourse here atm.

lumberjim 11-24-2008 04:42 PM

Iron my shirt, bitch!

Aliantha 11-24-2008 04:43 PM

Suck my dick arseache!

lumberjim 11-24-2008 04:46 PM

sorry, Sheila, I was speaking to Ms Mixx.

Aliantha 11-24-2008 04:47 PM

That's ok wanker. I was speaking to you.

lumberjim 11-24-2008 04:48 PM

that's real nice talk for International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women eve.

Aliantha 11-24-2008 04:48 PM

Well it doesn't say anything about women having to change their behaviour at all does it Mr smarty pants wombat britches!