The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Congrats Ozzies! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24640)

footfootfoot 03-01-2011 05:17 PM

Congrats Ozzies!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/03/01/3152329.htm

ZenGum 03-02-2011 12:02 AM

I am very pleased, although I suspect this wasn't what Old Cec Rhodes had in mind!

Kind of funny though, Rebecca is already based in Canberra, and is going to Oxford to do a PhD in philosophy. Funny, because the philosophy program at the Australian National Univeristy (in Canberra) is consistently ranked in the top 5 or 10 in the world, certainly on a par with Oxford. Still, good on her, it'll do her good, and set an example for more to follow.

Not bad for a stockman's daughter! (and a school principle's daughter too, I supose).

Aliantha 03-02-2011 02:26 AM

I'm not sure it's the whole of the population that needs to be congratulated. Most of us had nothing to do with this young lady's excellent effort. Good on her, no matter what her racial heritage is. :)

Sundae 03-02-2011 09:38 AM

Meh, I'd be willing to accept congrats on any English achievement.
The Ashes for example...

Athenian 03-02-2011 10:03 AM

Yet black folks still complain?

footfootfoot 03-02-2011 10:07 AM

I was gonna say, your country has come a long way from "Rabbit Proof Fences"

Aliantha 03-02-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 714201)
The Ashes for example...

Yes well, the Australian Cricket team is (putting it as deliately as possible) fucked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athenian (Post 714226)
Yet black folks still complain?

Black folks? I wonder why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 714228)

Not that far foot. The fence is still there both metaphorically and literally.

ZenGum 03-02-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 714201)
The Ashes for example...

Ahem.. Your mob (a) lost the one-dayers 6-1 and (b) just lost to Ireland. :stickpoke:

Aliantha 03-02-2011 05:12 PM

Yeah...our whole household was woken up by Daryl going on about that this morning. He had to knock on every door and tell us all individually. Personally I'd have preferred another 15minutes sleep and then living without the knowledge, but I guess he was excited.

casimendocina 03-03-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Didn't have time to read the rest of the thread before posting (so apologies if I've written and posted this half-baked) but seeing on the news that some politicians have kicked up a fuss about the cost of transporting asylum seekers to the funeral of their relatives and questioned whether it was a valid use of money mostly as a political stunt makes me wonder if Australia really has come a long way at all. I think that the asylum seeker detention camps of the last 10-15 years will be regarded as an Stolen Generation equivalent not too far in the future. Now, must sign off and go and do what they pay me for.

casimendocina 03-03-2011 06:00 AM

And I'm sticking with that even if John Saffran would say that I'm the same as every other "white lefto-pinkie". (I miss the ease of being able to turn on the radio and listen to John Saffran and Father Bob on a Sunday night-Zen and Ali would understand).

ZenGum 03-03-2011 06:56 AM

Casi, didn't you know you can stream JJJ live over the internet?

And the other good news is that some of the independents in parliament are actually calling out the closet (and lately blatant) race politics especially by the coalition.

ETA: If only we could build an Abbott-proof fence.

footfootfoot 03-03-2011 08:39 AM

OK, well I just thought it was neat that that gal won that award.

TheMercenary 03-03-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Great movie with that name.

Any advancement of this kind is a good thing in any country. We have Obama and they have a dark skinned guy with a scholarship. Baby steps.

skysidhe 03-03-2011 09:56 AM

I've got that movie in my netflix queue.

RE: the name rabbits. According to my keyboarding script, there used to be a rabbit problem in Australia. I didn't know that!:3_eyes: