The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad prosperous, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32497)

glatt 08-31-2017 09:15 AM

Yeah. They don't even consider the applicant at all when they just don't get around to it. Don't read anything into it. They just got distracted. Look, something shiny.

orthodoc 08-31-2017 06:52 PM

They never do what they say they will, in terms of time frame. Then they suddenly call up with the next step. Hoping you hear soon, UT.

Undertoad 09-11-2017 12:54 PM

I was arbitrarily ruled out. back to the drawing board

glatt 09-11-2017 02:16 PM

Sorry! Is it better for it to be arbitrary, or worse?

Undertoad 09-11-2017 02:22 PM

Better, because then you can say, "What the hell, their process is fucked up if they don't think I have enough experience in MySQL after one single question about it! The company is probably doomed anyway! And I didn't want to commute that far south!"

and then when you discard your little dreams about it, it is not so bad

Clodfobble 09-11-2017 08:10 PM

Sorry, man.

Griff 09-12-2017 06:27 AM

bummage

fargon 09-12-2017 09:46 AM

Sorry.

limey 09-12-2017 01:26 PM

Bummage indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Undertoad 10-04-2017 12:15 PM

The process of job hunting, said "What Color is your Parachute" back in the day, always goes:

no no no no no no no no no no yes

I await the next no or yes from an interview on Friday. They said they would get back to me "early next week" and it is now no longer that time period. This is the heartbreaking part. I hit Refresh on my Inbox every five minutes. The longer it goes, I feel, the less likely it is to be a thing. They were so into me, too. WTF.

I say, the process of job hunting is the same as online dating or, in my case, the musicians wanted section. Whenever you are trying to be a person that gets with other people. Waiting for the call back that may never come is really annoying!

fargon 10-04-2017 12:18 PM

I know the feeling.

Flint 10-04-2017 02:03 PM

I once phone interviewed for a remote analyst position, and when the guy asked me a specific technical question, I replied, "You know, I've worked on projects that involved [that thing], but it's been about 6 months and I really didn't retain [that thing] because I haven't used it. But if I was working on it, I'd remember it because I'd be using it" and he agreed and didn't make an issue of it.

I was hired, and I hated the job, because they actually didn't care what my technical knowledge was. The job turned out to be mostly project management and bureaucratic paperwork. The team I was on didn't have a clear specific function, and in fact was dismantled--we were all laid off--because of low utilization (there was nothing for us to do).

Undertoad 10-07-2017 09:37 AM

it's a no

Some days I feel like it's crazy that people don't want to hire me. It's me. It's fuckin' me. My mama always told me I was special, and I had the audacity to believe her and can't they see it?

Other days I feel like, well, obviously they don't want to hire me. It's me. My career went into the shitter and my resume reflects that. I never stay anywhere longer than two years. I don't have a lot of marketable skills. I'm old for IT. I'm a miserable contrarian.

Now it's like I thought I aced the interview, but now I see, I was probably able to ace this interview because they already had somebody better and so it was low pressure; we talked to X, and we like X a lot, but let's just talk to this old guy to see if he's super-special. No? Moving on.

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2017 10:50 AM

Or the interviewer is thinking, holy shit, I can't hire this guy, he'll have my job in a year.

sexobon 10-07-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 996894)
... I'm old for IT. ...

When you turned 50, you became old for everything. After Obamacare went into effect, mandating that health insurance cover preexisting conditions, employer recourse was in not hiring older people to minimize the possibility of insurance claims that would significantly raise their corporate insurance premiums.

Insurance that enables those with preexisting conditions to survive is a great thing; but, it comes at a price for those over 50 who aren't making enough (where you're making six figures) for businesses to offset the risk of increased insurance expenses that would trickle down to all their employees as higher premiums; or, lesser coverage.

Look for jobs at large corporations which are in a better position to accept that risk and absorb an increase in insurance costs. They're more flexible with hiring age. Look for jobs at other places that don't include benefits where you can negotiate wages that will make buying your own insurance affordable. Go to all interviews looking healthy with vitality; otherwise, at your age you might as well show up with a lit cigarette in hand.

Best wishes on finding a good full time benefited position. In the meantime, if I come across any young rich bitches looking for a father figure, I'll drop your name.