The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I kinda feel bad for Dar (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15800)

Drax 10-29-2007 12:48 AM

I kinda feel bad for Dar

On 09-18-2007 @ 09:34AM (CST) in the "What was the most recent movie you watched on TV?" thread , dar512 said:

Quote:

I don't watch TV.
As a TV addict, hearing/seeing this pains me. D, your missing a lot of good stuff, not only purely entertainment shows, but some edutainment shows too. (and I don't mean on PBS).

Quote:

I can't stand commercials....
Granted most of 'em are annoying, but some are actually informative, and even entertaining.

Quote:

... and am unwilling to pay for cable - which I understand has lots of commercials now too.
Hey, more channels means more commercials to pay for the TV shows and movies on those networks.

Ok, I'm missing The Lost Book Of Nostradamus.

Mockingbird 10-29-2007 03:17 AM

I don't watch TV, either. I haven't for a long time now. I read books and honestly don't feel the loss.

Perry Winkle 10-29-2007 03:36 AM

I don't watch much TV.

Sometimes something will catch my attention: Rome, The Long Way 'Round. Starting last night at 9, I'm actually watching an hour of TV per week now. The Long Way Down started, and I'll probably watch it. The good thing is that BBC 2 doesn't really have commercials.

If I had to pay anything to see this stuff, I wouldn't.

TheMercenary 10-29-2007 08:26 AM

I watch TV, lots of it. Mostly in this order of preference:

News
Discovery, History, A&E
Comedy Channel
PBS
National Geographic Channel
Travel Channel
Spike TV and AMC
Sports
HBO and some other no commercial channels
The Weather Channel

DanaC 10-29-2007 08:46 AM

Hmmm....I watch:

News,
Comedy shows
News
Dramas
News
Current affairs
News
Documentaries.....
and news.:P

I am a parliamentary junkie. I like to know what's going on in Westminster, so all the QuestionTime type programmes, news and analysis, behind the scenes stuff and the Parliament channel if there's nothing else on :P

kerosene 10-29-2007 08:57 AM

I don't watch TV...occasionally we will watch a DVD movie, but no cable. And we can't get any local stations here. Doesn't bother me, at all. Too many other things I want to do.

Cloud 10-29-2007 09:36 AM

I watch TV all the time. Usually with the sound turned off and the caption on; and with the stereo on and a book in my hand.

I think kids' tv time should be strictly limited, however. I've already got the "book habit"--they do not.

monster 10-29-2007 10:17 AM

I don't watch TV. I don't have time to feel sorry for those who do, either.

Perry, no commercials on BBC, but you are supposed to pay your TV license.....

staceyv 10-29-2007 10:21 AM

We don't have cable and can't get reception on any local stations, either, so we haven't watched tv in years.
But we do subscribe to Blockbuster online.

Kitsune 10-29-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 400963)
As a TV addict, hearing/seeing this pains me.

As a TV addict, I am highly envious of Dar. I'm trying my hardest to cut back, but I'm having a tough time breaking the habit of switching the TV on for background noise.

Thankfully, the program lineup kind of sucks right now, so it hasn't proven as difficult as in the past.

glatt 10-29-2007 12:41 PM

At the end of the day, after we get the kids in bed, I'm so damn tired. I just have to plop down on the couch. And the remote it right there.

lumberjim 10-29-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 387503)
My average work week is 50 to 110 hours a week, every week. I will have a period of 3 or 4 days off in a row everyother month and one 2 week period a year where I am off from my regular job, but often I just work somewhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 368861)
Bet none of you fuckers do 24 and 48 hours for a regular work schedule, followed by 8 to 10 in another job. I put in 80 to 110 hours a week in a regular work week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 400999)
I watch TV, lots of it. Mostly in this order of preference:

News
Discovery, History, A&E
Comedy Channel
PBS
National Geographic Channel
Travel Channel
Spike TV and AMC
Sports
HBO and some other no commercial channels
The Weather Channel

a. you get paid to watch tv

b. you never sleep

c. you're exaggerating a tad

d. you live on a planet that has 36 hour days.

TheMercenary 10-29-2007 01:07 PM

[quote=lumberjim;401109]a. you get paid to watch tv. No, I get to watch TV while being paid, big difference. Yea I sit in a call room in a hospital.

b. you never sleep Sure I do, in my call room

c. you're exaggerating a tadNot really.

d. you live on a planet that has 36 hour days.No, 24 hour days. I am on a 48 hour shift now, where when I am not working I can watch tv, post here, or sleep. And work when there is work to be done. :D

lumberjim 10-29-2007 01:13 PM

I figured it was something like that. getting paid to be ready to work kicks ass.

Drax 10-29-2007 02:16 PM

Alright, ya' know what, I shouldn't have started this thread. My bad. If you're not a TV fan, that's you're decision (even if you're missing some good stuff, like 4 certain History Channel shows and a thing on the Travel Channel I saw over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise, I might be tempted to try to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.