The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   personhood (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34602)

henry quirk 10-08-2019 05:01 PM

personhood

Over in the Phliosphy Now Forum a recurring conversation is over the nature of 'person'.

What 'is' a person?

What are the qualities or characteristics of 'person'.

What makes a human being a person?

Why isn't -- for example -- a goldfish a person?

When does a human being become a person?

One fellow over there posted "Foetuses are no(t) "persons" until they are named and certified by live birth." which, as I said is 'one legitimate (and, in my view, flawed) way to look at personhood.'

So: dazzle me with insight & wisdom.

lumberjim 10-08-2019 05:16 PM

Person is a label applied from the outside. If you see someone as a person, they are a person. Only your criteria matter in that case. You may not have a structured list of characteristics they must meet. You might just need to feel some empathy toward them.

so .... a Person is someone you can relate to. For whatever reason.

It's really a meaningless adjective because the Object (of 'Personhood') is not in control of the distinction.

henry quirk 10-08-2019 05:30 PM

"Person is a label applied from the outside."

So: if I see myself, define myself, as 'person' it's meaningless?

Gravdigr 10-08-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1039652)
When does a human being become a person?

I think it varies from state to state.

Otherwise, it"s when ya turn 18.:doit:

Undertoad 10-08-2019 05:48 PM

Personhood requires self-consciousness - being aware of ourselves, and in control of our actions; being able to reason and see why things happen, rather than just experiencing things.

henry quirk 10-08-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1039665)
Personhood requires self-consciousness - being aware of ourselves, and in control of our actions; being able to reason and see why things happen, rather than just experiencing things.

What about the comatose? It can be argued a comatose person isn't conscious on any level.

Gravdigr 10-08-2019 05:57 PM

But they encourage ya to talk to them...

Gravdigr 10-08-2019 05:58 PM

...like houseplants, now that I think about it.

Gravdigr 10-08-2019 05:58 PM

OMG!!!

Houseplants are persons!!!

Undertoad 10-08-2019 06:08 PM

conscious, i.e., awake and alert, and consciousness, i.e., the cognitive state of being where you are self-aware etc. are different things. You can be in a dream state and still have consciousness. Call it a sense of selfhood?

henry quirk 10-08-2019 06:13 PM

Don't get me wrong: I think you're on to sumthin' with this...

Quote:

...but (again): 'What about the comatose? It can be argued a comatose person isn't conscious on any level.'

Gravdigr 10-08-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1039668)
But they encourage ya to talk to them...

lumberjim 10-08-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1039660)
So: if I see myself, define myself, as 'person' it's meaningless?

to everyone other than you, yes. You may see yourself as a person, but if I think you're a monster.... then to me....

Undertoad 10-08-2019 06:25 PM

A comatose person is a person with self-consciousness who is currently unconscious.

henry quirk 10-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1039677)
to everyone other than you, yes. You may see yourself as a person, but if I think you're a monster.... then to me....

Well, you can see a campfire as a block of ice but that doesn't make the fire any less searing.

That is: your opinion doesn't overwrite reality.

So: is personhood intrinsic or bestowed (that seems to be the question between us)?