The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Congratulations to our British Dwellars on their great victory (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18946)

SteveDallas 12-09-2008 08:43 AM

Congratulations to our British Dwellars on their great victory

British are the most promiscuous in the West.

DanaC 12-09-2008 08:50 AM

Hurrah! Free rubber johnnies for everyone!

Sundae 12-09-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Among British women, 28% have apparently poached their other halves rather than formed relationships with single men. Only 17% of men in America had poached their girlfriends. In France only 10% of both men and women were poachers. In Germany the figures were 17% of men and 14% of women.
I think there is some confusion in language here, In Britain the word "poach" is often used to describe an animal that has been illegally killed. In the rest of the world I beleive it means a food stuff suspended in boiled water until suitable to eat.

So British women are top of the poll for gobbling their men, whereas you are more likely to be cooked by a German man.

binky 12-09-2008 09:01 AM

Wtg Dana and SG. Go out and get some!

DanaC 12-09-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 512000)
I think there is some confusion in language here, In Britain the word "poach" is often used to describe an animal that has been illegally killed. In the rest of the world I beleive it means a food stuff suspended in boiled water until suitable to eat.

I'm not sure that entirely reduces confusion:P It's not just that an animal has been illegally killed, it's that it's been stolen for food. Usually referring to game (including even small game like rabbits and hares) shot, or trapped on private land (i.e most of the countryside). Also used for certain creatures which are considered the sole preserve of the Crown, such as swans. In the modern context poached usually means headhunted.

lumberjim 12-09-2008 11:26 AM

It's an odd dichotomy. We are more and more promiscuous when it comes to actually fucking....but if you say the word 'fucking' on the radio or tv, or in the workplace......you're more likely to draw fire than you were just 20 years ago.

lookout123 12-09-2008 11:30 AM

I don't really think that's true LJ. 20 years ago I, and those around me, said fucking pretty much every time we tried to utter a sentence. Of course, we were 14 and thought it made us cool. YMMV.

SteveDallas 12-09-2008 12:01 PM

I can't find it now (it's hard to get useful Google results when "fuck" is one of the search terms..) but a few days back a read a postiong from somebody who considered a professor who was brought up on harassment charges and let off (after it was decided that the relationship was consensual) and one who was sanctioned after a student complained about his use of bad language in the classroom. The poster's conclusions? "It's OK to fuck your students, just don't say 'fuck' to them."

Aliantha 12-09-2008 06:15 PM

It's pretty much common usage here. The F word I mean.

Most of us Aussies are pretty uncouth though. That probably explains it.

oh, and we don't really give a fuck what anyone thinks either. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2008 12:49 AM

You give a fuck, just not as often as United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, and Czech Republic.

Aliantha 12-10-2008 12:52 AM

Did they include Australia in the poll?

ETA: Oh yeah, number 5. Oh well, I guess we just don't give much of a fuck at all then really. :)

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2008 12:54 AM

#5, behind United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, and Czech Republic.

DucksNuts 12-10-2008 03:59 AM

shit, its all because I have been off the wagon for a little while.

damn damn damn

Aliantha 12-10-2008 05:01 AM

Yeah...get back on it and put us up the top where we should be. :D

SquidGirl 12-10-2008 08:10 AM

In the news article "poaching" is meant as stealing away from another relationship...but it's a rather odd use of the phrase when you first read it....I also like there phrasing "short-term mating." So scientific. lol

I was surprised to see Turkey on there as #8...I would have thought they disapproved of promiscuity. Well, you learn something new every day, eh?