The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Random Pics (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1528)

Gravdigr 06-27-2018 01:57 PM

What? Nobody said anything about a returning am/fm signal. I meant the radar signal, and I think you know it.

This is gonna go just like the fucking "what does the blue represent" I'm gonna get nothing but goddamned bullshit.

Fuck it. I'll guess I'll find out on my goddamned own.

I bet my soon to be even more miserable goddamned life this question could be answered in a single fucking sentence.

Fuck me when that happens, here or anyfuckingwhere else.

Gravdigr 06-27-2018 01:58 PM

BTW, thanks for explaining how radio works. I missed that day in kindergarten.

Carruthers 06-27-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1010767)
Radar is a radio wave, correct? RAdio Detection And Ranging? How is it I can receive a radio station from Nashville? That is beyond line of sight. Is it that the returning signal doesn't have the same properties as the outgoing?

Frequencies below about 30Mhz will bounce off the ionosphere hence the ability to receive a station beyond the horizon, the AM broadcast band being the band most people are probably familiar with.
International broadcasters, VoA, BBC etc will use higher frequencies (but below 30Mhz) for global coverage from a limited number of transmitter sites.
When you get up into the FM broadcast band, 88-108Mhz in the UK and probably the US, VHF radio waves travel, save for unusual circumstances, straight through the ionosphere.
It's therefore possible to have several different stations on the same frequency simply by well planned geographic separation.

Air Traffic Control radar of the long range variety tends to operate at about 1300Mhz. A radar sited on high ground will 'see' further than one mounted at sea level.
A good example of this is the radar on Mt Gabriel in Southern Ireland which is operated by the Irish aviation authorities but is also 'piped in' to UK Air Traffic Control.
It allows early identification of trans Atlantic arrivals.
That's a bit of a broad brush approach but I think it lays out the general principles.
Have to go and water some plants now on instructions from the manager in residence.
Back later. :)

ETA If you'd like clarification of any of the above points, please do ask.

There may be a small fee.;)

xoxoxoBruce 06-27-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1010774)
What? Nobody said anything about a returning am/fm signal. I meant the radar signal, and I think you know it.

This is gonna go just like the fucking "what does the blue represent" I'm gonna get nothing but goddamned bullshit.

Fuck it. I'll guess I'll find out on my goddamned own.

I bet my soon to be even more miserable goddamned life this question could be answered in a single fucking sentence.

Fuck me when that happens, here or anyfuckingwhere else.

Oh shut up, just because you're old you don't have to be grumpy. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

RADAR is radio waves that go straight out, bounce off of something, and come straight back. They couldn't get there or back if there was anything solid in between. Wouldn't be of any use if the didn't come back now would they.

Ground penetrating radar is a whole other kettle of fish.

Happy Monkey 06-28-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1010767)
Radar is a radio wave, correct? RAdio Detection And Ranging? How is it I can receive a radio station from Nashville? That is beyond line of sight. Is it that the returning signal doesn't have the same properties as the outgoing?

If you only care about receiving a transmission, you don't care what route it took, but if you're measuring distance by how much time it traveled, you need the direct line there and back.

xoxoxoBruce 06-28-2018 12:40 PM

Radio waves...

Quote:

Different frequencies of radio waves have different propagation characteristics in the Earth's atmosphere; long waves can diffract around obstacles like mountains and follow the contour of the earth (ground waves), shorter waves can reflect off the ionosphere and return to earth beyond the horizon (skywaves), while much shorter wavelengths bend or diffract very little and travel on a line of sight, so their propagation distances are limited to the visual horizon.

xoxoxoBruce 06-29-2018 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
VW cooking...

xoxoxoBruce 07-02-2018 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bailing out...

Gravdigr 07-03-2018 10:08 AM

The scene from, I think it is Hot Shots...

The guys are all jumping from the plane hollering "Geronimoooo!", "Geronimoooo!","Geronimoooo!" Then a Native American appears in the door, jumps and yells "Meeeeee!"

I larfed, and larfed.

ETA:

Yep, it's Hot Shots:

Gravdigr 07-03-2018 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A wasp nest...

Attachment 64215

...in THE wrong place.

Gravdigr 07-03-2018 11:33 AM

I would like apologize to Toad for my unwarranted shitburst of June 27th.

I am sorry, sir. I was not pissed at you in particular, I was just pissed in general, I should have kept my anger more in check, and should not have responded the way I did. It was quite childish.

Again, my apologies to you sir, and to anyone else that felt spackled by my overspray.

Undertoad 07-03-2018 12:14 PM

Heh no problem sir I have done that myself plenty

The blue area in North America means that it was colder than average in North America, during the whole month of April. Areas that were red were warmer than average during that month.

xoxoxoBruce 07-03-2018 04:02 PM

And it feels gooooooood. :lol2:

Gravdigr 07-08-2018 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New Jersey. An appliance was delivered the day before. It used to be a two-story house.

Attachment 64298

Damn. With a side order of DAYUM! That was a a-big a-badda-boom!

The article says the blast was felt several miles away.

Undertoad 07-08-2018 02:15 PM

An old-school family whose name ends in a vowel, in New Jersey, and they don't suspect foul play?

(continues reading) near Vineland

Oh never mind, yeah that was just an incompetent installer.