The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

xoxoxoBruce 05-11-2017 02:14 PM

Battery Life

Quote:

Minnesota teenager Ethan Manuell didn’t expect to make a major medical breakthrough when he was asked to make a science fair project. As he told USA Today, his main concern was getting a good grade. After receiving the assignment from his eighth grade science teacher, Mrs. Omland, Manuell started tinkering. Using materials he had at home—including old battery-operated toy bugs and the batteries from his hearing aid—he discovered a way to extend the lifespan of zinc hearing aid batteries by 85 percent.

Some hearing aid battery packages instruct users to remove the plastic tab on the back of the battery and let it sit for one minute. Manuell further tested this suggestion, allowing the tab-less batteries to sit for various amounts of time before testing their longevity in his vibrating toy bugs. He found that five minutes was the golden length of time needed to achieve maximum results.

The information is shared in doctor’s offices today. By using Manuell’s trick, hearing aid wearers can save an average of $70 a year on batteries.
link
Now I have to figure out what to piss away that $140 savings on.;)

Gravdigr 05-11-2017 02:51 PM

Liquor and fast women?

xoxoxoBruce 05-11-2017 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A slow woman at this point, or I'd never catch her. :crone:

This is a handy bit of knowledge...

Undertoad 05-13-2017 07:48 PM

This memorable opening theme ran every Saturday morning from 1986-1991.

The vocal bit kicks in at 1:03... after a really nice interlude written by DEVO's Mark Mothersbaugh.

Now, who's the SINGER of that vocal?

Well it's Cyndi Lauper.

I Did Not Know That but it's one of those things where, once you know it.... oh sure! Hell it's so obvious!

glatt 05-14-2017 06:01 AM

I also had no idea, but Of Course it's Cyndi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 05-14-2017 07:33 AM

Wasn't the singer the voice of chairy as well?

Undertoad 05-14-2017 08:03 AM

IMDB says Chairry was "Alison Mork" who has a bunch of other IMDB credits.

monster 05-14-2017 07:54 PM

any ideas why I can only see a big black square, nothing clickable?

sexobon 05-14-2017 08:00 PM

No, it's still working for me. Here's the YouTube link if you want to try that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BKcYGOIJhqo

BigV 05-14-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 988650)
any ideas why I can only see a big black square, nothing clickable?

Try using Desktop site as opposed to mobile site.

monster 05-14-2017 10:33 PM

:lol: I'm an old crone, I don't do none of that mobile app shit.... but thanks. I thought it was just the new computer the first time, but I'm back on the old one now (where I've never had problems with this sort of stuff before) and still nothing. However, while I wasn't playing with old computer, stupid windows updated to an even stupider version which I had also thought was just new computer, so I'mm'a blame that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 988656)
Try using Desktop site as opposed to mobile site.

monster 05-14-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 988652)
No, it's still working for me. Here's the YouTube link if you want to try that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BKcYGOIJhqo

thanks, that worked. How times have changed, that so much time could be wasted on an opening theme! Did kids really have that long an attention span to wait through all of that when they'd seen it a zillion times before? must've been a good show!

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2017 10:50 PM

I can see the UT's embedded video in Chrome but not in IE. I can see it in chrome and IE at sexo's link.
Kids love the repetitive lead in to the show because it's familiar and they can sing along.

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2017 10:54 PM

UT's embedded video plays in Chrome but not IE. Sexo's link plays in both.
Kids love a repetitive intro because it's familiar and they can sing along.

monster 05-15-2017 07:22 PM

that was kids of yesteryear.... today's kids like repetition and singalong too, but only for 30 seconds, then it needs to move on. boom boom boom. like their games.

Griff 05-16-2017 06:48 AM

Today I learned that Ben Sasse is a really thoughtful dude whose conservatism seems to be based in preserving the good but is caring enough to look at modern problems with fresh eyes. I remember Republicans like this...

Pamela 05-22-2017 06:08 PM

Today I learned NOT to chase the black with white stripes.

- Bongo the stinky boxer

monster 05-22-2017 06:10 PM

....I bet he didn't learn, though.....

Gravdigr 05-23-2017 02:50 PM

My buddy's dog jumped up one night when we were sitting around the fire, and growled, then took off into the night. About three or four minutes later, in the field across the road, we heard her bark twice, mean-like, then she yelped.

A few minutes later we smelled the skunk that had sprayed her, and then she came up. Reeking.

Buddy hollered "Ginger! No! Get away!" before she got very close to us. That dog literally tucked her tail between her legs and went to the barn, while looking over her shoulder at us.

She stank for a month.

Gravdigr 05-23-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela (Post 989243)
Today I learned NOT to chase the black with white stripes.

- Bongo the stinky boxer

Tomato juice/sauce bath.

Then wash off the tomato juice/sauce.;)

Pamela 05-23-2017 08:03 PM

I know about that. Junior got a skunk cornered under the porch once.

Now, just try that when you live in a semi and haven't laid eyes on a tub in a month of Sundays.

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2017 10:54 PM

I know that works, and my dad buried my clothes. :o

xoxoxoBruce 05-24-2017 11:34 PM

The waitress brought the bill on a mini-clipboard and the total was $39.xx so I put three $20 under the clip and she came back and took it away. I assumed she would realize it was a tip.
We were engrossed is conversation when the waitress is suddenly standing there with the mini-clipboard with money on it. I waved her off but noticed the top of the money was a $1.
I questioned my companion why would she change the $20 and was informed that is standard procedure to bring back change, even an obvious overpayment, in smaller bills in hopes of getting a tip.
It was one of those forehead slapping moments. Evidently everybody in the fucking world was aware of this protocol except me. :smack:

glatt 05-25-2017 07:36 AM

I think there are many people who would do exactly what you did, but with the intention of leaving a $6 tip, and they want change back from the $20. Actually, I know one guy who would find a way to convince himself that a $5 tip is generous.

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2017 10:31 AM

Yes, that's what I learned yesterday. Seems everybody knew the system but me. I suppose if she hadn't brought it back without me explicitly telling her not to she could be accused of theft or at least been hassled. My dining companion couldn't understand why I always over tip, unless they earned a lesser amount. Then one day a guy at her business gave her a $35 tip for a repair on a long leather duster that was particularly difficult. Her customers never tip. She said that $35 wasn't going to change her budget but made her warm and fuzzy for two days. That's exactly the point.

sexobon 05-29-2017 09:31 PM

One may put a popsicle in a glass of champagne to celebrate Memorial Day.

xoxoxoBruce 05-29-2017 09:59 PM

2000 people tweeted she shouldn't fuck around on Memorial day while they BBQ, get drunk, while having lust in their hearts for the neighbor. They want her to show more support for the armed forces.
Hello... Memorial day is not about support for the armed forces. It's not about thanking vets for their service. It's about honoring those that had their lives taken from them by stupid governments quarreling. WW II in defense of the nation... WW I, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, etc, not so much. :rattat: [/rant]

Gravdigr 05-30-2017 01:35 PM

Today I learned about Pearl Hart, a female outlaw of the semi-Old West. She committed one of the last documented stagecoach robberies in America.

In learning about Ms. Hart, I also learned the words demimonde, and demimondaine.

sexobon 06-04-2017 08:59 PM

Today I learned that Brits use a brand name as a generic term for PA system. I looked up its history in Wikipedia.

monster 06-04-2017 09:11 PM

:lol: never even occurred to me it was a Brand Name -but I don't use it. I've forgotten if I ever used to. I think I just said "loud speakers" ...but I know what it means and wouldn't bat an eyelid if I heard it used

Gravdigr 06-05-2017 04:51 AM

I've encountered 'tannoy' before. I stumbled over it, and had to learn what one was.

Gravdigr 06-09-2017 10:53 AM

Today I learned about the toilet plume, a small feather used to stimu---hahahahaha:lol2:, nah, that ain't what it is, I couldn't even post that with a straight face.:p:

I knew about it, I just didn't know it had a name.

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2017 11:32 AM

Jinx called them poop molecules.

Gravdigr 06-10-2017 01:22 PM

Right there on ya teethbrush!!

Gravdigr 06-27-2017 08:52 AM

Today I learned about the co-pilot that kept telling the passenger "It's going to be okay."

fargon 06-27-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 991316)
Today I learned about the co-pilot that kept telling the passenger "It's going to be okay."

Kool.

xoxoxoBruce 06-27-2017 09:44 AM

He spent a month creating that story, one of his very best. :thumb::thumb:

Gravdigr 07-08-2017 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned that if you click this little paper clip,

Attachment 61236

it opens a page with nothing but the attachments from that thread.

Hovering over it tells you how many attachments are in that thread.

This could change how I view the Cellar.

Griff 07-08-2017 02:18 PM

Holly Fook, I just learned something.

Gravdigr 07-08-2017 02:44 PM

Ya gotta be careful around here. They'll learn ya something when ya ain't looking.

Happy Monkey 08-04-2017 01:06 PM

Dogs are wolves with a developmental disability.

Gravdigr 08-29-2017 11:12 AM

Today I Learned about the Cessna 188 Pacific Rescue, which occurred on Dec 22, 1978.

The Cessna 188 is a single seat "agricultural aircraft". It's a crop duster. And this one was being delivered (flown) to Australia from the U.S.

The pilot became lost over the Pacific ocean due to a malfunctioning Automatic Direction Finder. When he arrived in the vicinity of Norfolk Island, the island wasn't there.

Random note: Wikipedia gives the range of a Cessna 188 as 370 miles.

The only aircraft anywhere near the area was Air New Zealand Flight 103. When the pilot of the DC-10 learned of the predicament, he knew that if they (the crew) didn't do something to help the pilot of the Cessna he would almost certainly die.

How they helped the guy is a short, interesting read.

fargon 08-29-2017 11:25 AM

I saw the movie of the week they made of this story.

xoxoxoBruce 08-29-2017 11:25 AM

Wow, those guys really knew what they were doing. I wonder if today's pilots could figure that out?

Griff 08-30-2017 06:48 AM

Wow. Nice work.

xoxoxoBruce 09-05-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Of the country’s nearly 18 million undergraduates, more than 40 percent go to community college, and of those, only 62 percent can afford to go to college full-time. By contrast, a mere 0.4 percent of students in the United States attend one of the Ivies.

The typical student is not the one burnishing a fancy résumé with numerous unpaid internships. It’s just the opposite: Over half of all undergraduates live at home to make their degrees more affordable, and a shocking 40 percent of students work at least 30 hours a week. About 25 percent work full-time and go to school full-time.

The typical college student is also not fresh out of high school. A quarter of undergraduates are older than 25, and about the same number are single parents.

Griff 09-06-2017 06:02 AM

We do have a lot of Hollywood ideas about college. Somehow we think people from the Wharton School or Yale have the life experience to run our country...

DanaC 09-07-2017 02:12 PM

Yup.

We've done much the same thing.

Look at the resume of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer - architect and key drivin force of the austerity strategy still playing out, devastating whole sectors of the economy and big chunks of the population as it goes -

Quote:

Osborne was educated at independent schools: Norland Place School, Colet Court and St Paul's School.[9] In 1990 he was awarded a demyship at Magdalen College, Oxford,[3] where in 1993 he received a 2:1 bachelor's degree in Modern History.[6][10] Whilst there, he was a member of the Bullingdon Club.[11] He also attended Davidson College in North Carolina for a semester, as a Dean Rusk Scholar.[12]
In 1993, Osborne intended to pursue a career in journalism. He was shortlisted for, but failed to gain a place on, The Times' trainee scheme; he also applied to The Economist, where he was interviewed and rejected by Gideon Rachman.[13] In the end, he had to settle for freelance work on the Peterborough diary column of The Daily Telegraph.[14] One of his Oxford friends, journalist George Bridges, alerted Osborne some time later to a research vacancy at Conservative Central Office.[14]
Early political career
Osborne joined the Conservative Research Department in 1994, and became head of its Political Section. One of his first roles was to go to Blackpool and observe the October 1994 Labour Party Conference.[15]
Between 1995 and 1997 he worked as a special adviser to the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Douglas Hogg (during the BSE crisis), and in the Political Office at 10 Downing Street. Osborne worked on Prime Minister John Major's campaign team in 1997, in the run-up to the Tories' heavy election defeat that year.[16] After the election, he again considered journalism, approaching The Times to be a leader writer, though nothing came of it.
Between 1997 and 2001 he worked for William Hague, Major's successor as Conservative Party leader, as a speechwriter and political secretary. He helped to prepare Hague for the weekly session of Prime Minister's Questions,[16] often playing the role of Prime Minister Tony Blair. Under the subsequent leaderships of Michael Howard and David Cameron, he remained on the Prime Minister's Questions team.
A second rate academic and (at the time) failed journalist whose entire working history prior to becoming Chancellor was as a political assistant/advisor and being a member of parliament. I think he also did a little internship at daddy's company.

He set in place the 1% cap on public sector pay - that is still in place and means nurses, for instance have effectively taken a 15% reduction in wages in real terms over the last 7 years. Told the nation to tighten our collective belts - and thought it would be a great idea for our economy if everybody tightened their belts so much that they had no room left for spending.

Cameron wasn't much more connected to the 'real world', as they say.

and you could pretty much see them getting hard when they stood there all statesmanlike delivering speeches about how they had to be brave enough to make the difficult decisions.

Pretty sure it wasn't always like this. I seem to recall a time when conservative leaders were people who'd had successful business and industry careers, or, if from a more academic background, had a serious grounding in economic theory.

Labour haven't been much better on that score in recent years (though Corbyn is certainly a different case).

Pete Zicato 09-07-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 892109)
Today I learned that the last time the Cubs won the World Series was during the Ottoman Empire.

Not anymore. :)

xoxoxoBruce 09-07-2017 06:37 PM

Not so sure Pete, looks like the Ottomans may be back. :lol:

Griff 09-08-2017 06:40 AM

Today I learned the Pats defense is a couple steps slow.

Griff 09-08-2017 06:51 AM

I'll have to check sources but, today I learned that 42% of Harvard's incoming Freshmen are legacy. Affirmative action for the down trodden rich white people.

glatt 09-08-2017 07:21 AM

What if 42% of applicants were legacy?

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2017 08:08 AM

The result is the same.

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2017 12:01 AM

The English commoner John Rolfe of Jamestown in Virginia took as his bride an Algonquin princess named Matoaka, whom we call Pocahontas. The literary critic Christopher Hodgkins reports that King James I was ‘at first perturbed when he learned of the marriage’. But this was not out of fear of miscegenation: James’s reluctance, Hodgkins explained, was because ‘Rolfe, a commoner, had without his sovereign’s permission wed the daughter of a foreign prince.’ King James was not worried about the pollution of Rolfe’s line; he was worried about the pollution of Matoaka’s…

Gravdigr 09-22-2017 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned that some F-18 fighter jets have a false canopy painted on the bottom of the plane to confuse the enemy.

Attachment 61873

xoxoxoBruce 09-23-2017 12:07 AM

There was an investigation by the New York Academy of Medicine into marijuana, signed in ink by Mayor Fiorello La Guardia in 1945. It was the first American study to declare that the drug wasn’t addictive or dangerous.

Gravdigr 09-25-2017 11:47 AM

TIL that hyraxes are incapable of regurgitation.

Dey don't be urrpin'.

Griff 09-25-2017 05:12 PM

TIL that hyraxes are small, thickset, herbivorous mammals. :)

Gravdigr 09-28-2017 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
TIL that some horses can grow a mustache.

Attachment 61935

Moar

Living, as I do, in Kentucky, I've seen a horse or two...Never seen one with a mustache.