The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   11/25/2003: Rivers on Mars redux (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4455)

Undertoad 11-25-2003 01:19 PM

11/25/2003: Rivers on Mars redux

http://cellar.org/2003/marsriver.jpg

Was there flowing water on Mars? Scientists think yes, though not because of the "canals" that some people used to think might be evidence. (Trying to remember: was this ever taught as a working theory?)

This image serves as proof to the people who work on such things, that Mars not only had water but "meandering" water. The delta pattern seems to be the standard sort of delta that might occur after a river deposits stuff over time.

So, are we looking at a Martian Louisiana of millions of years ago? (Would there be Martian Cajuns? Would they look like James Carville?)

The full story. (And thanks to whomever sent me this one...)

(This image also fits into the "Earth as Art" category, except that it's Mars.)

tjennings 11-25-2003 02:40 PM

Or it could be a macro image of someone's stucco.

Bill S. 11-25-2003 03:26 PM

maybe its a bad case of acne on a dogs ass.

Riddil 11-25-2003 04:13 PM

I've never understood the real *reason* behind arguing whether or not Mars had running water. It seems immaterial.

I believe I read somewhere that even at the poles which have frozen water (and a few frozen gases, to boot), that in the "martian summer" it will actually become warm enough for some of the ice to melt. At which point it goes directly from solid ice to a gas, since the atmospheric pressure on Mars is far too low to sustain water in a liquid form when it becomes that warm.

If that statement is true, then for there to be running water at that magnitude it would mean that Mars at that time would have had to have a much higher atmospheric pressure... something difficult to do considering the gravity of the planet can't really sustain a dense stratosphere.

(Of course, my entire argument is based on the bits I remember from HS science courses and a smattering of knowledge I gleaned from my college meteorology course... when I was actually awake. Sadly enough, considering how infrequently that was and how long ago it was, it should be noted that I'm far from an expert in the field) ;)

Sperlock 11-25-2003 05:42 PM

<obscure> And apparently we can also see that there are no Ballrooms on Mars. </obscure>

juju 11-25-2003 05:52 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, Bill!

So, are you a Biology teacher? If so, how do you like it?

xoxoxoBruce 11-25-2003 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Riddil
I've never understood the real *reason* behind arguing whether or not Mars had running water. It seems immaterial.

I believe I read somewhere that even at the poles which have frozen water (and a few frozen gases, to boot), that in the "martian summer" it will actually become warm enough for some of the ice to melt. At which point it goes directly from solid ice to a gas, since the atmospheric pressure on Mars is far too low to sustain water in a liquid form when it becomes that warm.

If that statement is true, then for there to be running water at that magnitude it would mean that Mars at that time would have had to have a much higher atmospheric pressure... something difficult to do considering the gravity of the planet can't really sustain a dense stratosphere.

(Of course, my entire argument is based on the bits I remember from HS science courses and a smattering of knowledge I gleaned from my college meteorology course... when I was actually awake. Sadly enough, considering how infrequently that was and how long ago it was, it should be noted that I'm far from an expert in the field) ;)

They had it all and then they invented SUVs.:)

Nothing But Net 11-25-2003 10:01 PM

I just happened to notice that if you exchange "Poland", or variations, for "Mars" in Riddil's post, it still makes perfect sense!

Quote:

I've never understood the real *reason* behind arguing whether or not Poland had running water. It seems immaterial.

I believe I read somewhere that even at the poles which have frozen water (and a few frozen gases, to boot), that in the "<i>Polish</i> summer" it will actually become warm enough for some of the ice to melt. At which point it goes directly from solid ice to a gas, since the atmospheric pressure on <i>Poland</i> is far too low to sustain water in a liquid form when it becomes that warm.

If that statement is true, then for there to be running water at that magnitude it would mean that <i>Poland</i> at that time would have had to have a much higher atmospheric pressure... something difficult to do considering the gravity of the planet can't really sustain a dense stratosphere.

Bitman 11-26-2003 03:48 AM

Quote:

Funny, PBS just had a show that discussed this. There's some concern that the Earth's magnetic field is flipping. (The field acts as a planetary shield, deflecting all the crap the sun keeps sneezing at us.) In about a thousand years, the north pole will be in the south, and south in the north. In between, we'll have lots of mini-poles wandering around, confusing whole generations of cub scouts.

While analysing the Earth's mantle, they discovered that it's fluid state is key to the magnetic field. They theorized that in the distant past, Mars may have had a thicker atmosphere, with running water and happy bunnies. But the core cooled too much, and its field faded, and the solar wind blew most of the atmostphere away.

Shields up! Anyone know if Santa is polish?

Hubris Boy 11-26-2003 08:40 AM

Re: 11/25/2003: Rivers on Mars redux

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Would there be Martian Cajuns? Would they look like James Carville?
You're almost there, dude. Keep following the clues.

Uryoces 11-26-2003 01:38 PM

We might want to terraform Mars. Basically, we release greenhouse gases into Mars' atmosphere, and increase it's ability to trap heat. The theory is that the carbon dioxide could be liberated from the poles and the soil, and that plants would be able to convert it to oxygen for our use.

Robert Zubrin is an birlliant, inspired nutbar who could be considered an authority on Mars.

Whit 11-27-2003 03:34 AM

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, if there was water on the surface there is a greater chance of water being under the surface at a point where we could pump it out. Which would make a manned Mars landing far easier.

onetrack 12-01-2003 08:01 AM

It can't possibly be Mars .. I can't see any Martians waving .......

Another thought ... if they landed a spacecraft there .. and it promptly sunk outa sight in a Martian version of a Louisiana swamp .. at least all the space experts could cry .. "we were right!! .. all the while, lamenting the loss of the spacecraft that could have given them more vital info .. like how deep the water was ........ :)

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2003 05:50 PM

Well, they would know it's deeper than the ship is high.:)
Welcome to the Cellar onetrack. We can always use another smartass.:beer:

Hubris Boy 12-01-2003 09:08 PM

The Martians were probably saying the same things when Carville's ship crash-landed in Lake Pontchartrain.