The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   smilie groupings (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8398)

staceyv 05-21-2005 06:34 AM

smilie groupings

It would be SO convenient if the smilies were grouped together in categories. Here is my proposal :) :
(This is a sample-It wouldn't allow me to post the list I made with the smilies- It said "you have attempted to post too many smilies" or something like that.

Yes, I categorized every single smilie. It took me a little over an hour- I have PMS and a raging hanover. The mindless work and OCD opportunity was perfect for me.)
I saved the list, so if there's a way to allow me to post the categorized smilies, let me know.
What IS the smilie limit, anyways?

HAPPY
SHY:
LAUGHING:
LOVE:
SUPPORTIVE/FRIENDLY:

IDEA:
CONFUSION:
WORRIED/NEED HELP:
SUSPICIOUS:
PAIN/FEAR:
SAD:

SHOCK:
DISAPPROVAL/DISGUST:
SICK/DEAD:
JERKS:
MAD/EVIL:

DRUNK/CRAZY:
TIRED:

MISC OBJECTS/SYMBOLS:

FOOD RELATED:

PEOPLE:

MISC ACTIVITIES:

KINKY ACTIVITIES:

ALIENs/ANIMALS:

(Why are there two of these: :nuke: ?)
And I have no idea what this is: :borg:
And I can't figure out where to put these black and white people :blkwht: :whtblk: - what do they stand for? Are they schitzophrenic?

BrianR 05-21-2005 06:40 AM

question one: oversight

question two: it's a Star Trek Borg thing, you don't understand

question three: ebony...and ivory...living together in perfect...harmony...

staceyv 05-21-2005 06:42 AM

OOOH, thanks. So Borg would go under "aliens/animals", I guess. Ebony and Ivory could go under "love"...

Maybe "aliens/animals" should just be "creatures"...

Um, UT, did I just waste a whole lotta time?

Griff 05-21-2005 07:05 AM

Star Trek original tv series episode 70 for question three as well yep its about race.

Undertoad 05-21-2005 09:08 AM

The problem is that the first 20 or so show up in the smaller box for convenience, the first smilies before the "more" prompt. What I like to do is have a good assortment in the first grouping, and fewer animated ones, and no large ones that throw off the display of the first table of smilies.

staceyv 05-21-2005 12:42 PM

There are 196 smilies in there! could you maybe keep the smilies in that little box, and then repeat them in the complete list? There's only 24 of them.

Or, screw it, even if those 24 weren't in the list, it would make it a whole lot easier to find the other 172!

Undertoad 05-21-2005 03:23 PM

They do repeat in the big list, they are the first 24.

lumberjim 05-21-2005 03:47 PM

i vote for NOT making it easier to use smilies. :2cents:

stacy, if you really had OCD, you'd just memorize the words that make em go

BigV 05-21-2005 03:50 PM

or.....

You could just remember the smilie you like and just t-y-p-e it in, like colon-close parenthesis for :).

I have run into trouble trying to type colon-capital D in the body text of a message before using this method. Must be the reptilian back brain CLI preference coming to the surface.

The real advantage of this method is that you aren't limited to the 196 smilies that :cheapo: UT restricts you to. (just kidding, making a point, see?) You can make the textual equivalent of a smilie for ANY image/emotion/action you desire. I make them up all the time. Like, :grr: I know there's a tooth grinding smilie in the house, and someday, I'll pay attention to his actual name. Maybe I'll even use it. Sometimes you see :sigh: or :highfive: right? Them's custom personal individual smilies. And I think they'd fit right in with your custom personal individual posts.

:2cents:

lumberjim 05-21-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
or.....

You could just remember the smilie you like and just t-y-p-e it in, like colon-close parenthesis for :).

that's what i meant by 'the word that make em go. :redundant: :wink:

lumberjim 05-21-2005 06:02 PM

ps, UT, if you really want to do something worthwile, make this into a smilie:

:cock:

staceyv 05-21-2005 10:36 PM

Well, you could have 24 misc in the big list at first, and then the rest grouped...But I'm the only one who really gives a :turd: , and since I went through the whole list this morning, I'm now very well aquainted with all of them, so even I'm satified...
And what the hell am I doing here on Saturday night at 11:40? Arsen smoked too much, got tired, passed out...Whatever. I didn't feel like finding something to wear out, anyways.