The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Strange combinations (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18818)

Clodfobble 11-25-2008 02:32 PM

My mother-in-law eats peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. She says they're great.

Flint 11-25-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 508156)
My grandmother once made me a peanut butter and mayo sandwich, and while it sounds horrifyingly disgusting, I was shocked that it was pretty good.

I can tell you first-hand that these are, in fact, pretty good. We used to do "food expreiments" with my dad, to find previously undiscovered combinations by trial-and-error. We also played a game where you closed your eyes and someone would put one of the "experiments" in your mouth, so you didn't even know what it was. That really taxes the synapses, scrambling to recognize and decipher these new signals.

lumberjim 11-25-2008 02:47 PM

i remember doing that at Paul Bidez's house as a kid.....one of the big hits was two chocolate chip cookies with mayo and yellow mustard between them. I haven't tried that again since........it sounds nasty, even though i remember liking it

classicman 11-25-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 508193)
i remember doing that at Paul Bidez's house as a kid.....one of the big hits was two chocolate chip cookies with mayo and yellow mustard between them. I haven't tried that again since........it sounds nasty, even though i remember liking it

You were probably stoned at the time.

lumberjim 11-25-2008 03:26 PM

i was like.....11....I am pretty sure it was the year the Eagles lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl. was that 81?

classicman 11-25-2008 09:28 PM

So you were stoned... yeh that was January 25, 1981

Aliantha 11-26-2008 12:26 AM

You should try a peanut butter and tomato sandwich with lots of salt and pepper. Very yum.

ZenGum 11-26-2008 12:43 AM

Weird? A friend of mine swears by his dad's chicken stewed in a mix of coke and vegemite. I haven't tried it.

I heartily recommend one part wasabi to three parts honey. Yummy.

I like toast with marmalade and cheese, grilled. A foody friend of mine freaked out, he's never heard of it. What do you peeps think, is that normal or wierd?

Aliantha 11-26-2008 12:44 AM

It's weird, but I think it'd taste pretty good. We have honey and cheese sandwiches or jam and cheese. Those are yummy.

Radar 11-26-2008 09:52 PM

I'm gonna give those a try this weekend Zengum and Aliantha....except for the vegemite stuff. I've never seen it and only heard of it in a Men At Work song.

What do you put the wasabi with honey on? A sandwich?

Aliantha 11-27-2008 12:10 AM

I'd be dipping sashimi in it.

When I make sushi at home we always dip into sweet soy and wasabi. That's a really nice combo with salmon or tuna.

ZenGum 11-27-2008 03:01 AM

I used it in soups, but I guess it's a general purpose condiment. Anything that you'd use wasabi on ... sushi or sashimi especially.

ETA: Strange combinations? I nominate The Cellar. Anything that has UG, Radar, TW, Dana and the rest of us, and hasn't exploded, surely counts.

richlevy 11-27-2008 12:56 PM

You know it's silly, but I've always been curious as to who invented certain food items that suddenly appeared.

I know who invented the Buffalo wing, but who came up with the idea first to mix peanuts and chocolate or honey and mustard?

Pie 11-27-2008 02:06 PM

I like peanut butter and Frank's Red Hot. On a toasted onion bagel.

Or green peas and A1 steak sauce.

Yznhymr 11-28-2008 12:13 AM

1. Mashed tatters and Worcestershire sauce
2. Chocolate or whipped cream spread liberally and seductively on my wife's erogenous parts...yumm