The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Introducing Boaty McBoatface, Polar Explorer (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31787)

footfootfoot 11-26-2016 11:39 AM

Gritical Mass

Gritical Update

The Sex Machine: Let's Grit it and Quit!

infinite monkey 11-26-2016 12:24 PM

Grit thee behind me, Satan

footfootfoot 11-26-2016 12:33 PM

Grit Along Little Doggie

Griff 11-26-2016 12:33 PM

Ha!

monster 11-26-2016 12:35 PM

Nitty Gritty

whatever name the powers-that-be decide, they must remember that with Grit Power comes Grit Responsibility

sexobon 11-26-2016 01:02 PM

Grit over it.

Season's Grittings.

monster 11-26-2016 01:16 PM

I thought I seen that one already. I read a (UK) novel in which a character was the envy of his neighbors because his long driveway was always gritted even before the roads were done and he told them he bunged (bribed) the council when he sent them a "Seasons Grittings" telegram. It amused me.

footfootfoot 11-27-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 974643)
Nitty Gritty

whatever name the powers-that-be decide, they must remember that with Grit Power comes Grit Responsibility

Oh the humanity

Carruthers 12-02-2016 09:24 AM

I can now exclusively reveal the winner:

Quote:

Oldham Council has named its new gritter Nicole Saltslinger after the X-factor judge and former Pussycat Doll.

Ten-year-old Eve McGrath came up with the name, which beat off the challenge from hundreds of other competition entries including Gritney Houston, Grit Expectations and Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney.

The primary school pupil, who is a big fan of the singer Nicole Scherzinger, was invited to a special naming ceremony at the council depot.

The new lorry will now join a fleet of gritters including Freddie Salted, Walter the Salter and Gritney Spears.
More here.

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2016 05:43 PM

Oh Carruthers, I'm sorry you didn't win. You was robbed. Eve mush be related to somebody for such a travesty to happen. :(

monster 12-02-2016 07:54 PM

Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney

this is awesome.

orthodoc 12-02-2016 07:58 PM

I agree. Totally a winner.

Every time I read this thread title, I read "Booty McBootface ..." ... which probably just says something about me.

Or maybe it's just my Canadian/Scottish accent.

DanaC 12-03-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 975278)
Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney

this is awesome.

Yeah. Whoever came up with that is a frikkin genius.

monster 03-13-2017 07:56 PM

Boaty McBoatface is f'real and off on his adventures! He's a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39250567

Carruthers 07-10-2018 09:48 AM

The vessel formerly known as Boaty McBoatface.

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 64304

Quote:

Britain's new polar research ship is ready to go in the water.

The newly assembled hull of the RRS Sir David Attenborough is now standing on the slipway of the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead, awaiting launch day.

Weather and tide permitting, she should slide into the River Mersey on Saturday.

The £200m vessel will replace the James Clark Ross and the Endurance, which between them have almost 50 years' service in support of UK polar science.

The Attenborough is the ship the public had wanted to call "Boaty McBoatface" in an online poll, before ministers stepped in to choose a more appropriate name.

She represents the largest commercial ship built in Britain in three decades.

The hull should make for quite a sight as her steelwork floats out into Liverpool's famous waters.
LINK

What I find astonishing is the fact that it is the biggest commercial ship built in the UK in three decades, for Heaven's sake!
All the big new cruise ships seem to be built in Germany, Italy and France, and South Korea is the place to go for supertankers, container ships and bulk carriers.