The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2012 Olympics: Who are you following? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26915)

Sundae 08-12-2012 03:06 PM

Watching the closing ceremony.

I might be back on my meds but I cried when the first man crossed the line in the marathon and the commentator said, "And it's Uganda's first medal of the Olympics!" and it hit me that it was in fact nearly the last.

It's all over and I will be so lonely.

DanaC 08-12-2012 04:37 PM

Paralympics yet hon :P

DanaC 08-12-2012 04:39 PM

Is that Russell Brand riding around on a multicoloured bus?

This closing ceremony has been tres bizarre. Albeit good fun.

Not sure about the whole George Michael 'Freedom' set though.

And have a few doubts about the whole world coming together in the Union flag. Ahem. Yeah.

[eta]Oh yeah! Fatboy Slim! Hoowah. Give it some welly lad!

DanaC 08-12-2012 04:43 PM

oooh. Giant Octopus. Cool. Trippy.

xoxoxoBruce 08-13-2012 01:25 AM

Yeah Russell Brand, he's a trip. :haha:
I'd say "tres bizarre" is a very good description. I felt I was lost... as in what the fuck is going on... several times, but entertained none the less. Good show, and all that.
Oh Dana, did the Queen send her grandson to take her place... and is that significant?

Sundae 08-13-2012 05:44 AM

It's a bit of a late and noisy night for the Queen.
She had to make a speech at the Opening Ceremony, the Closing it wasn't necessary. I imagine she stuck it all on Sky-Plus and fast forwarded through most of it this morning, only pausing to see Harry and Kate.

I thought it was a wonderful way to end. Not as much fun as the Opening, but then it's a different animal. In all the quotes on the floor I spotted A Martian Sends A Postcard Home which cheered me no end.

I was also pleased to see the Pet Shop Boys. Or nearly see them. The simplicity of their "turn" and Neil Tennant's vocals compared favourably to One Direction imo. I had to double check that there weren't in fact 20 of them on the back of the lorry.

I had a good laugh at myself. Well you know I'm terrible with faces. And names. And I'm not very up on the hip music scene either. Well. There's a group up on stage singing a Pink Floyd song. Didn't know that at the time either :o The commentator (who says very little during the ceremony, and only to good effect - bless) tells us who the line-up is, although not who is doing what. Well I hear Mike Rutherford, and think GREG Rutherford, who I know is a ginger. So I quite happily watch musician Ed Sheeran thinking he is a gold-medal-winning-long-jumper who happens to be a bit handy on the guitar as well. Never mind.

I didn't find the ceremony bizarre. I thought it was all just wonderfully staged. My jaw dropped when Annie's ship came in. I admit I'm not a huge fan of her music, so I wasn't really looking forward to seeing her, but she blew me away.

Poor Gary Barlow (ETA he and his wife had a still-born daughter last week).
He must be in bits. I respect his professionalism.

The other band I wasn't sure about was the one at the end, singing CSI theme tunes, but they weren't on for long ;)

Rhianne 08-13-2012 05:09 PM

I think it's probably a good thing that the drug-testing team went home before the closing ceremony began. Russell Brand, George Michael, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Liam Gallagher...