The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Philthy's phlying phenanagans (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34022)

plthijinx 02-05-2019 07:07 PM

Flew to Dallas Love on Saturday to pick up passengers and take them to Las Vegas for the super bowl, here's a vid clip of the trip

xoxoxoBruce 02-05-2019 07:11 PM

You made good time, under 9 minutes. ;)

plthijinx 02-05-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1025140)
You made good time, under 9 minutes. ;)

it's those Garrett engines :D:D:D

Gravdigr 02-06-2019 10:06 AM

Well done, Capt. Philthy!

A few questions:

What (plane) were ya flying there? What kind of takeoff/cruise speeds are we talking? What is your personal favorite part of a trip like that? How fast can ya get that particular plane off the ground, y'know, if screaming passengers didn't bother ya?

I like these little clips like this, thanks for putting them up.

Diaphone Jim 02-06-2019 11:56 AM

Were your passengers disappointed to discover the game was in Atlanta?

xoxoxoBruce 02-06-2019 10:00 PM

They do their betting in Vegas watching the game from Atlanta.;)

Diaphone Jim 02-07-2019 11:25 AM

Paying big bucks to fly from Dallas to Las Vegas to bet on a game in Atlanta.
I wish I had thought of that.

xoxoxoBruce 02-08-2019 02:10 AM

You wish you could afford that. :lol:

Gravdigr 02-08-2019 01:14 PM

Meh, what's a few thousand bucks out the airplane window?

Gravdigr 02-08-2019 01:15 PM

Unless ya won, of course!

plthijinx 02-25-2019 11:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1025184)
Well done, Capt. Philthy!

A few questions:

What (plane) were ya flying there? What kind of takeoff/cruise speeds are we talking? What is your personal favorite part of a trip like that? How fast can ya get that particular plane off the ground, y'know, if screaming passengers didn't bother ya?

I like these little clips like this, thanks for putting them up.

I fly 2 Hawker 800A's that are in our fleet, the video above is in triple 7 and both have the same t/o speeds which we get depending on weight, temperature, and altitude.

If I remember right, for this trip, we were roughly at 25,000 lbs and the temperature was hovering around 10 degrees C (maybe a little cooler) and close enough to sea level to use the associated chart (or "tab data" to get our takeoff speeds. In this case with flaps 15 degrees: V1/Vr = 129, V2 = 132, Vfto = 164, and Venr = 176
(V1 = decision speed, Vr = Rotate, V2 = single engine takeoff speed, Vfto = single engine gradient climb speed , Venr = single engine en-route climb speed.

Favorite part of the trip(s)? All of them :D seriously, take off is a rush advancing the throttles and feeling the acceleration but also is a great approach to landing too - so I'd say it's a tie between both take off and landing.

Take off distance depends on the same variables as with the above V speeds. On our "tab data" chart is also runway length required, which in the example above, we require 5000 feet to safely take off. Do we use 5000? No, not quite, but we will use a good portion of it. I've taken triple seven off of a 5000 ft runway in the Bahamas and we used probably on the better side of 75% of that runway.

Glad you like the vids! It's a total hoot "working" this job, I never thought I'd be paid to do my passion! Sorry it takes me so long to get back but my schedule is freakin' crazy! Juggling flying, teaching, engineering and one other task that takes up a ton of time - I don't have any left hardly, :D but that's ok, it beats the alternative to what I was doing 4 years ago - I'll take it any day!

BigV 02-26-2019 12:21 PM

:cool::thumb:

Gravdigr 02-26-2019 12:47 PM

Ooh, that black one is sexaaay.

Thanks for replying to the Q's, man. We know ya got a life, dude, just keep on keeping on.

And keep the vids coming, when ya can.

fargon 02-26-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026779)
Ooh, that black one is sexaaay.And keep the vids coming, when ya can.

^^^WHS^^^

plthijinx 03-07-2019 01:04 AM

I flew two trips today, here is a vid I put together of the second one. Departed from Port Isabel, Tx. and flew to Houston Hobby. On this flight I used my comm interface cable with my gopro - only downside is you can't hear any of the ambient noise (ie. engines and airflow).

Port Isabel is an uncontrolled field so we had to call up clearance delivery on the ground frequency to get our clearance into controlled airspace which is what the first part is all about. Later on, when landing at Hobby, you can hear the GPWS (pronounced gyp whiz), screaming at me about the glide slope. I purposefully went below the glide slope, as a lot of pilots will do in visual conditions, to make the most out of the usable runway as when the 3 degree slope is followed it puts you down in the touchdown zone which is five hundred to a thousand feet past "the numbers" or the beginning of the runway.