The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Honor the visit of His Holiness Benedict XVI to America (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17042)

SteveDallas 04-16-2008 08:56 AM

Honor the visit of His Holiness Benedict XVI to America

Thanks to Mrs. Dallas' habit of watching the Today Show, I got to see a selection of souvenirs on sale in relation to the Pope's visit to Washington. They including Build-A-Bear t-shirts, Benedict XVI bobblehead dolls, and our personal favorite, "Flat Ben" (a takeoff on Flat Stanley, a book that anybody with kids probably had to do a school project on).

So, present your own ideas for pope-related tchotchkes that should be on sale. (I still remember the Pope Soap On A Rope from a visit by John Paul II some years back.)

(photoshops or other illustrations optional, but welcome)

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 10:08 AM

I, for one, plan to revive Father Guido Sarducci's Find the Popes in the Pizza contest.

Comedy Classic Gold!

elSicomoro 04-16-2008 10:13 AM

Condoms with his likeness on them...how perfect. :D

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 10:16 AM

Er, with his face likeness or some other likeness? 'Cause, really, who is taking a pic of the pope penis?

smoothmoniker 04-16-2008 10:24 AM

The alter boys?

BigV 04-16-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker (Post 446201)
The alter boys?

Is that how the stay sopranos? I think the Italian phrase for that is "castrati".

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker (Post 446201)
The alter boys?

Perhaps, he does keep one is his big old hat.

Sundae 04-16-2008 10:37 AM

I remember when John Paul II visited the UK we went to cheer and wave. And I made everyone's life a misery until my parents bought me a big yellow and blue flag to wave like the other children had. I'd forgotten all about it until quite recently when we were going through old photos - there is effectively a before and after shot. I am blushing as I type this - I have obviously repressed the memories of how bratty I was on occasion.

Anyway. We also had a special souvenir photo taken at school - us on one side (older sis, me, younger bro) and in a matching frame onthe other side a print of JP. All the local Catholic schools did it, and it was so weird seeing them in other people's homes when I was a teenager. Hey - that's my school photo! Oh, no you're in it too..

I'd like to see a fridge with Pope Benedict frozen in carbonite on the door.

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, careful what you wish for, or google. Apparently, this refrigerator is the pope. I don't know...I can't even make the connection after reading the blog.

Sundae 04-16-2008 11:21 AM

It's quite funny actually Shawnee.
Quote:

A baby living in Daejeon has identified Pope Benedict XVI as his maternal grandmother (see photo of grandmother above). The precocious baby girl -- whose name is "Hayden Lee" and who lives in Korea with her Korean father and French-Canadian mother -- made the claim on November 11, 2007, also known as Pepero Day (a Korean national holiday). According to the baby's mother:

"I was reading one of my favourite blogs -- Gypsy Scholar -- when Hayden spied a photo of Pope Benedict XVI. And gasped. And said "Nan-nee! Nan-eeee!"

The poor thing was attempting to say "Nanny," which is what she calls her grandmother.
Which takes us to:

Quote:

Since we left Canada in August, I have, by special request, been showing Hayden photos of my mom and my sisters and my step-father while saying their names. She can now recognize their faces and repeat (reasonable versions of) their names. Or so I thought. But. My mom's photo is on our refrigerator so when we go to the kitchen I point at the picture and say "Nanny. Hayden, that's Nanny". And she would smile and nod and say back "Na-nee. Na-neee". Cute as a button. But the other day as we were bypassing the kitchen to make our way to the bathroom, Little Miss Lee spied the fridge -- gasped -- ran up to it, patted the side of our LG Dios Digital and said "Na-nee. Na-nee". And nodded proudly. The child thinks our fridge is her grandmother. Sorry mom. At least it wasn't a kimchi cooler.

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 11:23 AM

;)

glatt 04-16-2008 11:32 AM

I am not entirely pleased that the pope is visiting my fair city. Grumble, grumble. Damn crowds and tourists. Grumble, grumble.

Shawnee123 04-16-2008 11:40 AM

*dials pope-hater hotline to report dissension.

Beest 04-16-2008 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 446207)
I'd like to see a fridge with Pope Benedict frozen in carbonite on the door.

Q&D nooner.

HungLikeJesus 04-16-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 446225)
I am not entirely pleased that the pope is visiting my fair city. Grumble, grumble. Damn crowds and tourists. Grumble, grumble.

Don't forget:

He sees you when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake, knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.

The pope is coming to town.