The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How do you describe types of music? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15188)

Spexxvet 08-25-2007 09:25 AM

How do you describe types of music?

I can identify different types of music, when I hear them. I can tell when I hear disco vs reggae, classical vs blue grass. But how do you tell someone "I can tell it's reggae because..."? I don't read music, play an instrument, or know music theory (obviously). Any insights?

Undertoad 08-25-2007 09:32 AM

I can tell it's reggae because there is a lazy and usually slow beat on 2 and 4, the guitar is played as a percussion instrument along with 2 or more actual percussion instruments, and the singer is a Marley or has a legitimate Jamaican accent.

If the singer does not have a Jamaican accent, it's modern ska.

If the beat is 2-4 but not lazy, enforced at 120 beats per minute plus or minus 5, and incredibly rigid and heavily reinforced, it's disco.

Griff 08-25-2007 09:41 AM

Pick a band that describes the general universe of the movement and try to fit the unlabeled band into that sound.

Undertoad 08-25-2007 09:42 AM

Add: I keep thinking what Flint will say. In reggae, the snare drum is thin and metallic sounding... probably because it's thin and made of metal. It sounds more like a percussion instrument than a thick, wooden sounding rock snare drum, which sounds more meaty and resonant, like firing big guns.

I also think that in reggae, the meat of the song is produced by cheap keyboards and women backup singers.

lumberjim 08-25-2007 10:49 AM

as a guitarist, reggae highlights the upstroke across the strings instead of the down. if you listen to The Police, you can hear this.

HungLikeJesus 08-25-2007 11:15 AM

My wife is predisposed against country music. A song will come on and she'll say, See this is what I don't like about country music. And I'll say, That's not country music, that's the Allman Brothers (or CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc.).

lumberjim 08-25-2007 11:21 AM

Country music uses more Major scales and chords. the notes sound 'brighter'

blues is primarily Minor, so the sound a bit down or mournful.

Cicero 08-25-2007 11:21 AM

I think that traditionally genres were identified by both the instruments and method and style of playing the instruements that defines the genre. We are also including vocals in the instrument category.
Ok now lets talk about experimental reggae. Ok let's not.

Spexxvet 08-25-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 378444)
as a guitarist, reggae highlights the upstroke across the strings instead of the down. if you listen to The Police, you can hear this.

The closest I've come to describing reggae is that the drum rythm is on beats 1 & 3, and the guitar rythm is on beats 2 & 4. Or something. Is that what I'm hearing you describe as the "upstroke"?

When I discuss music with musicians, this always runs through my mind

Quote:

This is just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist. You excrement, you whining hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic secret handshakes. You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a Freemason now if you went down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me.
How do you describe "rock".

piercehawkeye45 08-25-2007 12:24 PM

Which type of rock?

lumberjim 08-25-2007 12:35 PM

igneous

elSicomoro 08-25-2007 01:37 PM

I like sedimentary rock myself.

zippyt 08-25-2007 05:09 PM

igneous work for me

Griff 08-25-2007 07:32 PM

I like Indigenous but aren't they more blues? ;)

wolf 08-26-2007 03:21 PM

I describe types of music sometimes by reference other types of music, and then saying why type of music X is or is not like type of music Y.

It can get quite involved, and sometimes involves broad hand gestures.