The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   On the heals of the no draft stance... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7156)

Troubleshooter 11-03-2004 02:34 PM

On the heals of the no draft stance...

Army NG Short On Recruits
Associated Press
November 3, 2004

DAYTON, Ohio - Free hunting and fishing licenses. More chances to get signing bonuses. Pink T-shirts for women.

The Army National Guard, which has fallen short of recruiting goals during the prolonged fighting in Iraq, is trying new marketing beyond the traditional enticement of college tuition aid.

"There are fewer people who are voluntarily expressing an interest - calling or returning postcards," said Lt. Col. Dan Kenkel, spokesman for the Guard in Nebraska.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

Happy Monkey 11-03-2004 02:43 PM

Pink T-shirts?

redsonia 11-03-2004 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Pink T-shirts?

I read the story. It's supposed to help women recruits feel more feminine. Hey, what's more motherly and feminine than signing up to kill people?

Happy Monkey 11-03-2004 03:12 PM

I figured that was the reason, but I just couldn't fathom the notion that that would influence anyone's decision to join the military.

Cyber Wolf 11-03-2004 03:15 PM

You'd be surprised at what people will do for a cute Tshirt.

Trilby 11-03-2004 03:22 PM

I live in Dayton, Oh--home of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

I'm running right down there to get my pink t-shirt today. Right after I sign the boys up.

Troubleshooter 11-03-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
I live in Dayton, Oh--home of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

I'm running right down there to get my pink t-shirt today. Right after I sign the boys up.

I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm here, I'm not sure though...

Trilby 11-03-2004 03:28 PM

It's difficult to know in cyberworld, isn't it?

I'm going to lie about the ages of my boys--start 'em early. My 15 year-old is 6'4" and 190lbs. He plays quarterback, basketball and baseball---but, he's still pretty much a pansy-ass until he gets an automatic weapon in his hands...the other boy, well, let's just say that a few nights being beaten with a pillowcase full of rocks wouldn't hurt him none.

wolf 11-04-2004 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
You'd be surprised at what people will do for a cute Tshirt.

I got the Philly Inquirer because I received a free shirt that said "I get it on campus every morning."

It does work. Great marketing tool.

wolf 11-04-2004 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsonia
I read the story. It's supposed to help women recruits feel more feminine. Hey, what's more motherly and feminine than signing up to kill people?

It makes me feel all girly. I can't be the only one ...

Cyber Wolf 11-04-2004 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I got the Philly Inquirer because I received a free shirt that said "I get it on campus every morning."

It does work. Great marketing tool.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it.

Clodfobble 11-04-2004 07:57 AM

In my college it was popular to fill out the credit card application or what-have-you to get the shirt, and then give the shirts to the many homeless people who hung out around the edges of campus. I personally never did it because I cared more about my credit report than the homeless people, but it was funny to watch the marketing people get all riled up over it.

Happy Monkey 11-07-2004 11:33 PM

It's not a draft as long as you've ever been in the military. 'Cause you knew what you were signing up for.

Cyber Wolf 11-08-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
'Cause you knew what you were signing up for.

That and they own you for the rest of your (useful) life. It seems you can't ever really leave if you've served your time and want to do something else with your life, especially if you managed to stay alive and in one piece.

breakingnews 11-08-2004 08:44 AM

I once drank a yard of beer in 10 seconds to win a free Pilsner t-shirt. Somehow I feel that's not comparable to signing up for NG or reserves duty.