The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's perplexing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22565)

glatt 04-20-2010 12:18 PM

What's perplexing you today?

Brendan Fraser. Why does this man have 51 acting credits in the IMDB?

Has he ever made a good movie? Is there such a thing as a Brendan Fraser fan? I don't begrudge him his success, but wtf? How does he do it? He keeps showing up in new crappy movies.

Trilby 04-20-2010 12:34 PM

I'm perplexed about the cost of sofas - why does a sofa cost 900.00 dollars?

And, should I get it?

PS I liked him in BeDazzled.
With Liz Hurley. Cute movie.

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 12:48 PM

I'm perplexed, what the fuck is 900 dollars?

As to Fraser, I guess for the same reason Kate Hudson keeps getting roles, which is to say they're sorta cute and appeal to a wide range of people who don't like movies that make them think too much.

Undertoad 04-20-2010 01:18 PM

I liked Airheads.

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 01:26 PM

Oh heck, I liked Hudson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 days. I don't even like McConaughey that much ('cept for the indie film I just saw him in) but even the simple films can have a certain charm.

I'm just a big grumpy buffoon. :(

glatt 04-20-2010 01:29 PM

Bedazzled is a simile of his career. I think he may have sold his soul to the devil to get where he is today.

I'll admit, my memory of Airheads was that it was fine. But it's poorly rated in IMDB, and I honestly only remember a few gags, and none of them had much to do with Mr. Fraser. I was laughing at everyone else.

Undertoad 04-20-2010 01:42 PM

It's one of those comedies which you fault for not being realistic enough when you see it in the theater, but then on TV replays it gets better.

Clodfobble 04-20-2010 01:43 PM

As a kid, I loved Encino Man and must have watched it a dozen times.

What it boils down to is, he's an inexpensive kids' movie actor, mostly for tweens. But movies for tweens (like The Mummy, for example) have to completely look like they're meant for adults, or tweens won't be interested. Sometimes the adults get fooled. :)

glatt 04-20-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 650290)
why does a sofa cost 900.00 dollars?

Because they can get away with it. People expect a sofa to cost that much.

Do you have an old sofa you liked when it was new? Have you considered re-upholstering it? Chances are you can get that done for about two thirds the cost and it will be made better, assuming the guys doing it know what they are doing. It's more work for you though, and you will be without your sofa for a month or two while they work on it.

Trilby 04-20-2010 04:21 PM

I have never, ever owned a brand new sofa. This one would be my first.

All my other life-sofa's were hand me downs - sometimes several times over. This last couch I bought from a woman who moved to OH from AZ and the couch has a definite AZ vibe - not my colors or pattern at ALL - is a weird zig-zaggy pattern of navy, gold, red...maybe it looked good on the mesa, but not here on the prairie.

Anyway - I guess like mattresses - sofas cost what they cost. sheesh. UNREAL.

BTW - I'm gonna get it. *don't guilt me, man*

Cloud 04-20-2010 04:33 PM

I can think of lots less appealing actors than Fraser, and there's nothing wrong with steady work, especially for an actor.

The Mummy movies and Journey to the Center of the Earth are solid entertainment. Blast from the Past was absolutely brilliant and funny.

I hate movies that make me think! Give me mindless action romps every time.

Shawnee123 04-20-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 650395)
I have never, ever owned a brand new sofa. This one would be my first.

All my other life-sofa's were hand me downs - sometimes several times over. This last couch I bought from a woman who moved to OH from AZ and the couch has a definite AZ vibe - not my colors or pattern at ALL - is a weird zig-zaggy pattern of navy, gold, red...maybe it looked good on the mesa, but not here on the prairie.

Anyway - I guess like mattresses - sofas cost what they cost. sheesh. UNREAL.

BTW - I'm gonna get it. *don't guilt me, man*

Get it and enjoy it! Never mind me...I'm quite bitter today with myself.

You know, I've never had a new couch either! :lol: Years ago my ex asked me if I wanted a new couch or a computer (when they were really just catching on with us non-technical people) and the rest is history. :p:

jinx 04-20-2010 06:42 PM

Is it leather Bri? Pay more for leather, it's worth it.

HungLikeJesus 04-20-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 650290)
I'm perplexed about the cost of sofas - why does a sofa cost 900.00 dollars?

Compared to prescription glasses, or even sunglasses, sofas are cheap - for what you get.

xoxoxoBruce 04-21-2010 12:07 AM

The guy selling the sofa, bought it for 1/3 of list price.