The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cool Weapons (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22030)

BigV 12-16-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 916452)
No your English is fine. Civil and civilian can have the same meaning.

I agree, your English is just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 916452)
BigV is just explaining a joke everyone got.

I get that a lot.... :eyebrow:

BigV 12-16-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 916330)
Civil weapons...that's almost an oxymoron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 916449)
funny!

But I think civilian weapons is the intended meaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammian (Post 916497)
Excepting myself anyway :D

Quote:

civ·il
ˈsiv(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: civil

--snip--

courteous and polite.
"we tried to be civil to him"
Actually, Dammian, Gravdigr's joke (a pretty good one, too) was pointing out the apparent contradiction between the second definition of civil and the obvious meaning of weapons. This kind of contradiction is often used for humorous effect. Gravdigr this called this paradox an oxymoron.

Quote:

ox·y·mo·ron
(ŏk′sē-mor′ŏn′)
n. pl. ox·y·mo·rons or ox·y·mo·ra (-mor′ə)
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

Dammian 12-16-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 916512)
Actually, Dammian, Gravdigr's joke (a pretty good one, too) was pointing out the apparent contradiction between the second definition of civil and the obvious meaning of weapons. This kind of contradiction is often used for humorous effect. Gravdigr this called this paradox an oxymoron.

Ah! Got that! :blush:
Actually our criminal law regarding to self defense using guns fully accomplish that oxymoron, so this is not a joke in fact in our country of balalaika and caviar :D

Gravdigr 12-19-2014 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aaaaaaaanyway:

Attachment 49863

A whole damn flock o' the things...

zippyt 12-19-2014 04:11 PM

i saw one of those take off in Oki , i was a WAYS from it but it was Deafening !!!!!

footfootfoot 12-19-2014 05:49 PM

One of my friends' dad was a spook and went on a ride in one of those.
I also read somewhere that the fuel tanks leak like sieves when they are on the ground because when they are at altitude they contract with the cold and tighten up. If they were tight on the ground they tear apart when they were at altitude.

There's probably a clearer way of explaining that.

footfootfoot 12-19-2014 07:57 PM

http://listverse.com/2014/07/12/10-b...und-the-world/

Griff 12-20-2014 08:33 AM

so much fast

Gravdigr 12-20-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 916777)
One of my friends' dad was a spook and went on a ride in one of those.
I also read somewhere that the fuel tanks leak like sieves when they are on the ground because when they are at altitude they contract with the cold and tighten up. If they were tight on the ground they tear apart when they were at altitude.

There's probably a clearer way of explaining that.

First off, that's racist!

I think they leak like sieves, and then at speed, everything heats up and expands, sealing the 'leaks'. That's why it was made from titanium alloy, to withstand the extreme temps created by atmospheric friction.

Wiki quote:

Quote:

The heat would have caused a smooth skin to split or curl, whereas the corrugated skin could expand vertically and horizontally and increased longitudinal strength. Fuselage panels were manufactured to only loosely fit on the ground. Proper alignment was achieved as the airframe heated up and expanded several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the airframe's expansion at extreme temperatures, the aircraft leaked JP-7 fuel on the ground. After takeoff, the aircraft would perform a short sprint to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading to its destination.

The outer windscreen of the cockpit was made of quartz and was fused ultrasonically to the titanium frame. The temperature of the exterior of the windscreen reached 600 degrees during a mission.

Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces in the chines. On landing, the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F).
If it's leaking due to not being sealed, and it contracts, wouldn't it then leak even worse?

footfootfoot 12-20-2014 03:58 PM

I'm always confused by these things.

If the ring on a mason jar contracts wouldn't it be tighter? I don't know. Just that they leak like sieves.

Gravdigr 12-20-2014 04:04 PM

Perhaps, but the jar will shrink also. Some. Maybe.

It's the vacuum that seals a mason jar.

footfootfoot 12-21-2014 01:20 PM

I wasn't referring to the seal of the jar, I know how that works, I'm not a 'tard. I'm still confused because if both parts are shrinking or expanding then their relative dimensions would be the same unless the parts shrank/expanded at different rates.

In any case at that altitude the temp is usually about -40f, the plane must be going as fast as a motherfucker to create that much heat in a) the cold and b) the thinner air at that altitude.

footfootfoot 12-21-2014 01:27 PM

Holy hot mess, Batman:
Quote:

Airframe, canopy and landing gear[edit]
On most aircraft, use of titanium was limited by the costs involved; it was generally used only in components exposed to the highest temperatures, such as exhaust fairings and the leading edges of wings. On the SR-71, titanium was used for 85% of the structure, with much of the rest polymer composite materials.[24] To control costs, Lockheed used a more easily worked alloy of titanium which softened at a lower temperature.[N 3] The challenges posed led Lockheed to develop new fabrication methods, and have since been used in the manufacture of other aircraft. Welding titanium requires distilled water, as the chlorine present in tap water is corrosive; cadmium-plated tools could not be used as they also caused corrosion.[25] Metallurgical contamination was another problem; at one point 80% of the delivered titanium for manufacture was rejected on these grounds.[26][27]

The high temperatures generated inflight required special design and operating techniques. Major portions of the skin of the inboard wings were corrugated, not smooth. Aerodynamicists initially opposed the concept, disparagingly referring to the aircraft as a Mach 3 variant of the 1920s-era Ford Trimotor, known for its corrugated aluminum skin.[28] The heat would have caused a smooth skin to split or curl, whereas the corrugated skin could expand vertically and horizontally and increased longitudinal strength. Fuselage panels were manufactured to only loosely fit on the ground. Proper alignment was achieved as the airframe heated up and expanded several inches.[citation needed] Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the airframe's expansion at extreme temperatures, the aircraft leaked JP-7 fuel on the ground. After takeoff, the aircraft would perform a short sprint to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading to its destination.[citation needed]

The outer windscreen of the cockpit was made of quartz and was fused ultrasonically to the titanium frame. The temperature of the exterior of the windscreen reached 600 degrees[clarification needed] during a mission.[29]

Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces in the chines. On landing, the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F).[28] The red stripes on some SR-71s were to prevent maintenance workers from damaging the skin. Near the center of the fuselage, the curved skin was thin and delicate, with no support from the structural ribs, which were spaced several feet apart.[30]

The Blackbird's tires, manufactured by B.F. Goodrich, contained aluminum and were filled with nitrogen. They cost $2,300 and did not last even 20 missions. The Blackbird landed at over 170 knots and deployed a drag parachute to stop; the chute also acted to reduce stress on the tires.[31]

Lamplighter 12-21-2014 02:21 PM

What could go wrong ???

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2014 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much, they worked very well. Ridiculously expensive and inefficient, but looking at the operating parameters... Damn.

Back on earth...