The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bacon. Not feeling the love. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26911)

footfootfoot 02-19-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 796486)
Somehow it's in the numbers... the higher numbers are always more risky than 1st.

For me, the 4th pot of coffee in the day is often gastroigneous.
I don't understand it because I use the same coffee beans, filters, water, pot, cup,
and the electricity comes from the same dam on the Columbia River all day long.
The water is not pasteurized, the filters are tan, not bleached ...so they shouldn't be the culprits.

I have noticed that the sun is in a different place...
maybe it is shinning on the pot at a different angle as it perks.
Any other ideas ?

Yes. One is too many, ten's not enough.

infinite monkey 02-20-2012 07:55 AM

The second installment of my large ship disaster movie references:

Your Heart(burn) Will Go On.

*deep bow*

Spexxvet 02-20-2012 07:57 AM

Foot and infi, there's a reason they make Tums a pepcid and all those things. enjoy your food and take your medicine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 796505)
I had a meatloaf pannini, which is meatloaf, cheese, garlic massed potatoes, and bacon on flatbread, served with homemade potato chips. But that's not the important part of the story.

I had this wonderful thing in lieu of The Turtle Burger.

It was cute. It's shaped like a turtle. How do you make a burger shaped like a turtle? First, you don't kill any turtles. It said so on the menu. Then you take six ounces of ground beef. You surround that in cheese. Then you make a lattice out of ... bacon. 10 slices of thick bacon. Oh, and because it's still not really looking like a turtle, you arrange three hot dogs to make the legs and head. And serve it all on a LeBus roll.

There may have been some mashed potatoes involved too. I forget. Call that traumatic forgetting. I was totally overwhelmed by the description.

Please tell me where. I gotsta know, I gotsta know!

Happy Monkey 02-20-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 796474)
We've had bacon for breakfast the past two days and I have come to the sad realization that bacon gives me serious heartburn.

The solution? Moar bacon! "Hair of the hog", and so on.

richlevy 02-20-2012 12:59 PM

Maybe you need to switch bacon.

Kosher beef bacon - aka beef fry. I used to have this growing up, but have not had some in decades.

Turkey bacon - Shoprite carries the widest selection, from generic chopped and pressed to Godshall's Turkey bacon which is thick cut and probably better than pork bacon. I think they also carry duck bacon and turkey scrapple.

Here's an article with alternatives.

Griff 02-20-2012 01:49 PM

Duck bacon may actually be good, duck haz the aorta grease.

classicman 02-20-2012 04:28 PM

Turkey bacon = :vomit:

wolf 02-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 796584)
Foot and infi, there's a reason they make Tums a pepcid and all those things. enjoy your food and take your medicine.

Please tell me where. I gotsta know, I gotsta know!

The Blue Dog Pub, Lansdale.

Amazing beer availability that only keeps getting better and more interesting. The Turtle Burger is a special, not a regular menu item. Don't know how long it will be available. However, I can tell you that they've had the meatloaf pannini as a special since December, so the turtle could have some surprising staying power.

Urbane Guerrilla 03-16-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 796554)
Well, I have to admit we have 2 other adults in the house... but yes, we do make 4 pots a day.

Lamp, caffeine is a bowel irritant. It's no wonder enough coffee kicks back on you; it does me too.

DanaC 03-17-2012 05:30 AM

Man...I have like 4 mugs of coffee just to start my day...

Aliantha 03-17-2012 06:10 PM

Just one for me, occasionally I have two, but usually I don't have any more for the rest of the day.

footfootfoot 03-17-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 802085)
Just one for me, occasionally I have two, but usually I don't have any more for the rest of the day.

Well, hopefully you are at least following the strict Martini and cigarette protocol designed to reduce birth weight and thus, make delivery easier.

Aliantha 03-17-2012 07:07 PM

haha...nope. None of mine have been very large so far anyway. Just average. 8 pound 1 oz was the largest. The other two were 7 pound 4. :)

Stormieweather 03-17-2012 10:19 PM

My first thought was the nitrites in the bacon is causing you tummy issues. Do you have trouble with lunch meats or ham?

You might want to try turkey bacon, Applegate makes a good one. It's not the same as pork bacon, but it does grow on you. We have been eating it for 2 years now and prefer it over anything else, even pork bacon.

Oh and I usually don't drink coffee by the cup, much too small!! :blush: I use huge mugs, carafes, or thermos's (that tense looks weird) to carry my caffeinated beverage around. 1 full pot a day for just me, or I feel deprived.

footfootfoot 03-18-2012 12:12 AM

nahh, it's not the nitrates, I think it is just too rich.