The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quiz Time (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30052)

orthodoc 07-08-2014 07:07 PM

Agree. The pirate ship was frustrating because the bottom row didn't make sense; you had to only consider the top row and not attempt to duplicate the nonsense bottom row.

Close call, but I suppose it's good to know I might qualify for a snooty NYC kindergarten.

BigV 07-08-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Test Yourself
You Scored: 5 / 5
Kindergarten, here I come.

Seriously? There's no way my kids could have passed that exam at five years old. Nothing close to the reading comprehension required for the last question, and the matchy-matchy ones, ... maybe they could have seen a pattern. But the biggest trouble would have been that my kids would have had precious little test taking experience by that age. They might have scribbled all over the test, eaten the crayons, and ran in circles until they were so dizzy they fell down. Y'know, like normal kindergarteners.

BigV 07-08-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 904031)
Agree. The pirate ship was frustrating because the bottom row didn't make sense; you had to only consider the top row and not attempt to duplicate the nonsense bottom row.

Close call, but I suppose it's good to know I might qualify for a snooty NYC kindergarten.

I saw columns. That helped.

footfootfoot 07-10-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 904043)
I saw columns. That helped.

I saw dead people. Not as helpful...

BigV 07-10-2014 06:04 PM

*snort*

Gravdigr 09-17-2014 12:59 PM

Today is Constitution Day in the U.S.. (<---What's the proper way to end that sentence?)

Find out what you know about The Constitution by taking The Washington Post's Constitution Day Quiz

I got 1 out of 13.

:rtfm:

BigV 09-17-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 909877)
Today is Constitution Day in the U.S.. (<---What's the proper way to end that sentence?)

--snip

Like this:

Quote:

Today is Constitution Day in the U.S.
The period that ends the abbreviation also ends the sentence. If the sentence ends in a different punctuation mark, like a question mark or an exclamation mark, use both. If the sentence is awkward or unclear, rewrite it to move the abbreviation away from the end of the sentence or avoid the abbreviation altogether

BigV 09-17-2014 01:33 PM

I got 8/13.

I didn't even reach the threshold for ratification. :cry:

glatt 09-17-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 909877)
I got 1 out of 13.

:rtfm:

7 of 13.
Damn, that was hard. Lots of educated guessing. And even more uneducated guessing.

Gravdigr 09-17-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 909886)
Like this:

Thank you, sir.

infinite monkey 09-17-2014 03:42 PM

I got 4. Hahhahahaaa! Of course the alcohol one. That was easy, because overturning prohibition holds a special place in my heart...from a past life. The other one I got was the one about public education not being mentioned in the constitution. I picked that because in both my past jobs we were mandated to do something to recognize Constitution Day. Because public education was considered a state level issue by our founding fathers, it only stands to reason that institutions receiving any sort of federal funding be mandated by the federal government to have some sort of programming for C-Day.

Quote:

The law establishing the present holiday was created in 2004 with the passage of an amendment by Senator Robert Byrd to the Omnibus spending bill of 2004.[4] Before this law was enacted, the holiday was known as "Citizenship Day". In addition to renaming the holiday "Constitution Day and Citizenship Day," the act mandates that all publicly funded educational institutions, and all federal agencies, provide educational programming on the history of the American Constitution on that day.[5] In May 2005, the United States Department of Education announced the enactment of this law and that it would apply to any school receiving federal funds of any kind.[3] This holiday is not observed by granting time off work for federal employees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constit...ited_States%29

It's the law, and it's ironical. ;) I think in my previous previous job we hung up posters. In my previous job we were silo'd right out of any responsibility for it: they had high level executives who were responsible for hanging up posters, maybe a blurb on the campus wide info-TVs. :lol:

Undertoad 09-17-2014 03:43 PM

6, it's a tough one and more about history than the constitution itself...

Griff 09-17-2014 04:35 PM

8 but I don't support ratification anyway...

DanaC 09-17-2014 05:08 PM

Wont let me take the quiz!

Undertoad 09-17-2014 05:20 PM

Damn right! :D