The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

zippyt 04-02-2009 05:37 PM

A Pic Pie , Or it NEVER HAPPENED !!!!

Shawnee123 04-02-2009 05:39 PM

It's definitely a 'Shop-Op for some clever Dwellar.

DanaC 04-02-2009 06:41 PM

Doh Tiki. Hope you feel better soon m'dear.

[eta] wearing a pastel or white top is just a way of guaranteeing i'll spill coffee.

Tiki 04-02-2009 07:01 PM

Thanks! I was hoping it was just allergies, but no. :neutral:

I am babying myself in the hopes that I'll be well enough to go canoeing on Sunday.

BigV 04-04-2009 07:35 PM

I'm having trouble sewing today.

I am trying to sew a half inch wide ribbon trim down the front of a pair of sweat pants legs, right where the crease would be on a pair of dress pants.

I am having trouble because the bulk of the pants leg (pant leg?) bunches up considerably as I get farther along. I tried only sewing halfway from each end and I get a hump in the middle. Unacceptable. Twice now I have sewn the leg together for a few stitches. It's pretty aggravating.

Clodfobble 04-04-2009 07:41 PM

Pin the ribbon in place before you begin sewing.

Tiki 04-04-2009 07:43 PM

Also, try easing up the foot pressure if you can.

BigV 04-04-2009 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, both of you. I'm done now. I was mostly done by the time my frustration level had risen to the level justifying a post here. Your suggestions are good ones. I didn't bother with the pins; I've had mixed results with them, not holding the parts where I want them better than my fingers, and I often hit the pins with the needle and I've broken about four needles this way so far. That is mildly irritating as well.

As for the foot pressure adjustment, I'll just tell you plainly, I don't know how to do that, or if it is even possible with my machine. I have stitch width, top thread tension, needle position (L C R), stitch length and reverse. And power. Oh and bobbing winding mode. There are no other controls. There are adjustments that can be made with tools, like screwdrivers for needle replacement and foot changing... but I don't see something like a foot pressure modulator (that sounds like something Marvin The Martian would have...).

Regardless, behold!

xoxoxoBruce 04-04-2009 08:02 PM

Uh, are you going to wear those? I mean like in public? :unsure:

BigV 04-04-2009 08:06 PM

No.

Those are the pants for SonofV's costume. I will be wearing overalls, mostly.

xoxoxoBruce 04-04-2009 08:08 PM

Whew, I'm so relieved it's a costume. :lol2:

BigV 04-04-2009 08:21 PM

Thread coming soon, webalbum created but under construction.

monster 04-04-2009 08:46 PM

foot pressure adjustment same as gas pedal in car. ease up = go slower = more control

Tiki 04-05-2009 03:46 AM

many sewing machines have a little foot pressure crank on top.

Pins, you remove as you get close, and you use manual tension to keep the fabrics aligned between pins

It looks like you did well anyway, congratulations!

Tiki 04-05-2009 12:21 PM

This morning, irritated because:

1. My friend I'm supposed to go canoeing with drank too much last night and is sick,

2. My housemate who promised to babysit still isn't awake,

3. I was going to go ply aforementioned friend with bananas and Gatorade and see if I can make him well enough to canoe, but I can't leave because housemate isn't up.