The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   AWSOME HOCKEY DAY: Let me tell you it (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24261)

monster 12-27-2010 07:43 PM

AWSOME HOCKEY DAY: Let me tell you it

Thor's hockey team (a house "Squirt" team) have yet to win a game this season. They drew a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago, against another team with no wins, but have lost all else. They are all first year squirts (you stay at each level for two years) and this is the first squirt team hosted by our rink and the first time in the Little Caesar's League which is MUCH more competitive than the league we were in last year as Mites. it's been a bit of a rude awakening for them.

Our rink hosts a holiday tourney, there are three other house squirt teams, so it's a round robin format followed by two semi-finals -Seed 1 vs Seed 4 and seed 2 vs seed 3, then a final.

Unsurprisingly, we lost all three RR games -although only by 6-3, 5-2 and 4-0 ....which is not bad going for us. (more often than not, they stop counting the opposition's score....) So, seed 4 into the semis this afternoon.

WE BEAT THEM!!!!1!1111!!!1

they got one, we got two, they got one, we got one, they got one with less than a minute left. tied 3-3. no score in overtime. shootout. We won 2-1.

WE BLOODY WON!

They played like kids possessed, they just did not give up and they did not collapse when the other team put the first goal in, as they are wont to do.....

GO BLADES!

Now we have to get up early to go to the finals, and I had to cancel an appointment I was too superstitious to cancel before we made it........ and we'll probably lose 0-20. But we did it. We won a game and made the finals in a tourney. the other team's parents were really pissed and used some very bad and unsportsmanlike language, but I can honestly say our boys (and girl) simply outplayed theirs -no bizarre lucky breaks, no bad reffing, sheer determination and all the practice and drills finally coming together. fucking awesome. :D

Shawnee123 12-27-2010 07:52 PM

:jig:

I love when kids show that competitiveness, and when they are doing what they've been practicing, and really enjoy doing, and it all comes together.

Bravo Thor!

Flint 12-27-2010 07:57 PM

Cool!

Griff 12-27-2010 08:15 PM

Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monster 12-27-2010 09:46 PM

thanks for sharing my happy, peeps :)

kerosene 12-28-2010 09:56 AM

Very nice, monster! Sorry I am late to see it. Congrats to Thor!

monster 12-28-2010 04:35 PM

Well, they lost the final 6-2 -which still isn't bad going- they played well and they still got to be official runners up with trophies and an award ceremony and everything. Then we watched the Whalers and they won. Awesomes.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2010 08:38 AM

Granted it's nice to win, but as long as they're having fun, everything else is moot. Congratulations. :thumb: