The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Inspirational quotes or concepts....got any goodies? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11156)

SteveDallas 07-12-2006 11:24 AM

You can't get more inspiring than this.

Buddug 07-12-2006 11:33 AM

Belated thanks to Clodfobble .

Buddug 07-12-2006 01:04 PM

And tell me please how YOU got over those lines , Clodfobble .

( It's a case of 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' )

Clodfobble 07-12-2006 02:21 PM

I don't understand--do you mean how did I continue to find a reason to live having been faced with Beckett's incisive existentialist summation of life? It's pretty easy, since Beckett is an ass and existentialism is horseshit.

Or do you mean how did I ever memorize my lines in such a tedious script full of non sequitors? I'm an aural learner; I read the play into a tape recorder and listened to it over and over until I knew my lines.

Buddug 07-12-2006 02:46 PM

Clodfobble
I find it quite astounding that you confuse existentialism with absurdism . Beckett , like Ionesco , is part of the tradition of the Absurd .
Existentialism is a totally different kettle of fish . You speak of Existentialism as though you had never read Sartre . Existentialism is to do with making sense of the absurd , being engagé . I could go on about Camus too , but I shan't .

You speak of reciting lines without understanding them . Beckett would have loved you , and Sartre would have scorned you . I hope that you now know the difference between absurdism and existentialism .

Buddug 07-12-2006 02:57 PM

Clodfobble
I find it quite astounding that you confuse existentialism with absurdism . Beckett , like Ionesco , is part of the tradition of the Absurd .
Existentialism is a totally different kettle of fish . You speak of Existentialism as though you had never read Sartre . Existentialism is to do with making sense of the absurd , being engagé . I could go on about Camus too , but I shan't .

You speak of reciting lines without understanding them . Beckett would have loved you , and Sartre would have scorned you . I hope that you now know the difference between absurdism and existentialism .

rkzenrage 07-12-2006 04:51 PM

Beckett has been claimed by both schools.
I enjoyed doing that play. Did some of his shorts as well.

dar512 07-12-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Did some of his shorts as well.

Washed or pressed? :lol:

Buddug 07-12-2006 05:34 PM

Well , I can say that Beckett has totally ruined all enjoyment I have in life , rkzenrage . Beauty and faith have been totally eclipsed . I live because I cannot die . I am a Christian , but it is in another sort of box . Of course I feel passion and love , and I do not want to die , but there is always that starkness behind everything .

I do not take any sort of medication . I am a healthy and pretty woman , the mother of four children . I am married to the father of those children . He loves me , and I love him . We like food and wine and travel ,and we have plenty of love and money .

And yet I wake up every day with the terrrible weight of the human condition .

Buddug 07-12-2006 05:50 PM

Actually , I should not blame old Beckett for that . I would have felt that feeling of starkness without him .

rkzenrage 07-12-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
Washed or pressed? :lol:

Doh!:eek:

Beckett or anyone else should not be blamed... I guess, just anyone who opens your eyes is a key... but one chooses to see.
However, I do not see it as darkly as you.

Ibby 07-12-2006 05:56 PM

Ah, but life is suffering, Buddug. Or, more precisely, life has suffering, caused by desires and wants.

rkzenrage 07-12-2006 05:57 PM

But can be relived... there is the Path.

Ibby 07-12-2006 06:09 PM

hey rkzenrage... KNUX!

rkzenrage 07-12-2006 06:12 PM

It has been so long since I have heard that.... I honestly have forgotten.
*chagrin* I used to see it all the time as avatars.