The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just a face I'm going through? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14644)

HungLikeJesus 06-22-2007 07:01 PM

Just a face I'm going through?

I tend to get interested in something, spend a lot of time and energy on that thing for a few months, then move on to something else. I've done it with martial arts, archery, chemistry, origami, Spanish, photography, and a hundred other things.

Some things are recurring, like biking and hiking, others I try once and never go back to, but there are very few things that I can maintain an interest in for more than a few months.

I wonder if this is one of them - if this is just a phase I'm going through.

Cloud 06-22-2007 07:30 PM

just a sign of a curious mind

breakingnews 06-22-2007 07:51 PM

join the club. i wish my curiosity only lasted a short while ... i get into things for a few years and invest plenty of time & money, only to move on to something else after a while.

i've sort of learned to be practical, though - i can recognize when something has simply piqued my interest and probably won't turn into a long-term hobby.

i'm trying to resist the urge to buy a new guitar. i've been playing since maybe age 12 or so, but it's too sporadic these days. obviously i have that mentality that a new axe will motivate me to practice more, but we all know that is a crock.

Cloud 06-22-2007 09:08 PM

I do it too. The first thing I do when I have a new interest is buy as many books as I can on the subject, hence my overflowing bookshelves and general clutter.

I'm fascinated by other people's hobbies, too. So many things that people are into.

Aliantha 06-22-2007 09:50 PM

It's probably just a phase HLJ. It's just a phase for all of us right? We don't really intend to still be posting here in 10yrs time do we? Really???

lumberjim 06-22-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakingnews (Post 358049)

i'm trying to resist the urge to buy a new guitar. i've been playing since maybe age 12 or so, but it's too sporadic these days. obviously i have that mentality that a new axe will motivate me to practice more, but we all know that is a crock.

not if you get a REALLY REALLY good one. i totally started playing more when i got the martin. totally, dude.

xoxoxoBruce 06-22-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakingnews (Post 358049)
i'm trying to resist the urge to buy a new guitar.

Why? Is it going to spoil and smell up your closet. If you play once a week, once a year or once a decade, why not play the best axe you can. Some day you'll be glad you have it.

wolf 06-23-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 358067)
It's probably just a phase HLJ. It's just a phase for all of us right? We don't really intend to still be posting here in 10yrs time do we? Really???

ummm. A bunch of us have already done that, so, yes, Toad willing.

breakingnews 06-23-2007 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 358084)
Why? Is it going to spoil and smell up your closet. If you play once a week, once a year or once a decade, why not play the best axe you can. Some day you'll be glad you have it.

Well, I should mention that I already have three guitars (a Blake electric, a Martin acoustic and a Prudencio Saez classical). The practical side of me thinks I should offload the old ones before investing in a beauty. But, you know, prudence and all that.

HungLikeJesus 06-23-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 358067)

My attention span for most things is usually 3 months or less. I've been here since the end of February and am just now feeling a little bit comfortable, so I'm hoping to stick around. This is the first, and so far only, board that I've been involved with.

From other responses, it sounds like this kind of pattern ("get interested in something, spend a lot of time and energy on that thing for a few months, then move on to something else") is common - or at least among those who have responded. Maybe it's a sign that there's just so many interesting things in the world and we don't have time to do them all.

TheMercenary 06-23-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 358059)
I do it too. The first thing I do when I have a new interest is buy as many books as I can on the subject, hence my overflowing bookshelves and general clutter.

I'm fascinated by other people's hobbies, too. So many things that people are into.

I do this as well. Drives my wife crazy. The earliest memories were when we first got married and lived in Hawaii I became really interested in the whales in the area. I still have half a book shelf of books about whales. The subjects abound.

HungLikeJesus 06-23-2007 01:55 PM

So, what has kept your interest, or occupied your time, for more than a few months?

For me, the necessaries of life of course, but also:
my wife
reading
movies
bicycling and hiking (but seasonal, not year-round)
photography (not in an artistic sense, off and on)
sudoku (just since last December)

These are currently topping my list of non-work activities. I've also been building a theatre room in the basement for about the last two years, but that's been stalled due to lack of time (and here I am in the Cellar when I should be working).

Urbane Guerrilla 06-27-2007 03:44 AM

...on your cellar.