The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   December 6, 2006: Halved gent lives on (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12654)

Undertoad 12-06-2006 10:57 AM

December 6, 2006: Halved gent lives on

http://cellar.org/2006/halfguy.jpg

Yes, that's half a guy up there, being placed on his cart by his son as they head out on a tour of Beijing.

The very fine Spluch finds this news item at Xinhua, and translates for us:
Quote:

On 9 March 2004, this 46-year-old man was hit badly by a truck causing the bones below his abdomen to be crushed in Shenzhen, China. Doctors spent 7 months trying to rescue him from death and they succeeded. Due to the lost of the lower half of his body, his height has been reduced from 1.62 meters to 0.78 meters and now weights only 33 kg.
Apparently they were able to transplant enough skin to cover all the exposed bits, and then they literally built him new plumbing for both liquid and solid waste.

I'm not sure how much time I would spend in public, if it were me. I'd just wobble in front of the monitor. But it's remarkable that the guy lived at all, much less to the point where he could get around with help.

Shawnee123 12-06-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
I'm not sure how much time I would spend in public, if it were me. I'd just wobble in front of the monitor. But it's remarkable that the guy lived at all, much less to the point where he could get around with help.

Wobble...snort snort!

Well, there you halve it...modern medicine is amazing.

LabRat 12-06-2006 11:50 AM

Wonder if the increased blood flow to his (second) brain increased his mental abilities at all?

milkfish 12-06-2006 12:24 PM

I had been wondering where all the Asian threads had gone off to.

They should put an angled mirror on his cart so that he can enjoy the view better as his son wheels him around town.

Elspode 12-06-2006 02:20 PM

You know, some days I have trouble figuring out why it is worth it to go on, just because things aren't going exactly peachy for me. Then I see half a man, and have to feel incredibly guilty that I ever do anything besides sing Zippadedoodah and tap dance.

"I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man with no feet" - Unknown

"I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man with no cock" - Mr. Mike

Spexxvet 12-06-2006 02:25 PM

I'm gonna have to try that diet. He lost half his body weight in no time!

xoxoxoBruce 12-06-2006 02:29 PM

I guess the doctors felt it was a challange..... but I can't help wondering if the guy appreciates it or not. :confused:

Trilby 12-06-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet
I'm gonna have to try that diet. He lost half his body weight in no time!

:lol:

barefoot serpent 12-06-2006 03:39 PM

The Cellar: finding out how the other half lives.

Clodfobble 12-06-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I guess the doctors felt it was a challange..... but I can't help wondering if the guy appreciates it or not.

I'd imagine so... there are lots of people with no legs in the US who are happy to be alive. This guy's situation is a little worse since apparently a wheelchair is not an option, but at least he's not like that IOTD of a little girl awhile back who had to crawl around with only half a basketball protecting her lower edge. At least this guy's got a cart and a family to help take care of him.

astrodex 12-06-2006 04:01 PM

Good thing he wasn't in Haiti with the face tumor girl. The doctors would have shaken a dead chicken at him and sent him on his way. Isn't modern superstition wonderful?

SydneyBoy 12-06-2006 04:10 PM

I was in Cambodia once and I was having lunch at some lunch stall place and a small boy pushed up a wheelchair containing a man with no arms and no legs - just a torso with a head on top. It tore my heart out to see... poor man unable to do anything but rely completely on his young brother to move him around.

Im not sure if he lost his limbs in a landmine accident (there are lots of those in Cambodia) but it seems a little unlikely to lose all four limbs neatly at the shoulder/hip joint and still survive the explosion. Then I started hearing stories about parents who do nasty things to their children when young to increase their begging potential and wondered if his parents had done it deliberately.

I gave him some money but wondered if I should have because they have begging syndicates and such where the beggars don't actually keep the money they beg, it goes to some master beggar somewhere.

Then I thought wouldn't it be amazing if I could get some money together and buy the guy a motorized wheelchair that he could steer with his mouth and give him a little independence from his brother. But someone would just nick it off him.

Damn its a cruel world.

DanaC 12-06-2006 05:22 PM

Y'know...when you just skim read a title, cause like you've been on the computer too long and your eyes are tired......I entered this site expecting to see a halved giant, so I am somewhat disappointed.

Ibby 12-06-2006 08:23 PM

blech, cambodia, that reminds me... im getting dragged there after christmas.
hooray for forced vacation...

Q baby 12-06-2006 09:51 PM

i think it's cool his dad takes care of him like that. especially since there are so many dads out there who don't do that.