The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Buying habits? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14369)

Cloud 06-01-2007 03:22 PM

Buying habits?

Do you spend a lot of money on books, CDs, DVDs and games? What's the bulk of your entertainment budget?

I'm a compulsive book buyer--a few every month.
CDs--I'm not a big music person, but I do buy CDs every so often.
DVDs--Love movies, but only want to own certain ones.

Happy Monkey 06-01-2007 04:10 PM

I buy books and DVDs like crazy, but I've been trying to cut down due to massive backlogs of each. I buy games less frequently, but I still have a backlog on those as well.

lizzymahoney 06-01-2007 04:32 PM

Hi, I'm lizzym and I'm a hoarder.

I do not allow myself the pleasure of book, music, or movie shopping. My book count is probably over 3000 again, and that's just from thrifts and garage sales. Oh, and books I could never part with since childhood.

My moratorium on music and movies has worked much better.

lumberjim 06-01-2007 04:38 PM

dining out....so fleeting

piercehawkeye45 06-01-2007 07:11 PM

I'm a very conservative buyer. Don't get a lot of stuff unless I know I want it.

bluecuracao 06-01-2007 07:24 PM

I spend too much on other people cooking for me. But until my work hours change, I'm doomed, doomed!

I could spend less on beauty and bath products, but I love them to much to stop. And if I walk into a bookstore, that's it. I probably have at least 10 books lying around that I have yet to open.

Yznhymr 06-01-2007 09:23 PM

I blow my wad...uh, I mean my check on gas for my wife's Tahoe, my daughter's incessant need for more and more beauty products, on their pedicures, haircuts, and of course on my daughter’s clothing habit (American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Hollister). I also have to pay for their tanning and no telling what else they don’t tell me about. By the time that’s deducted from my check, and I pay my mortgage, utilities, and internet, all that’s left is a few bucks for actual food. The boys and I have to beg and borrow for a few denarii to get our clothes. :yelsick:

DucksNuts 06-02-2007 06:13 AM

Dvds and CDs. Theres some there that are over a year old that I havent watched yet.

Equal with shoes, watches and handbags :)

Shawnee123 06-02-2007 10:10 AM

Books and PC games.

I do the Quality Paperback Book club online, because it's cheaper. I am at the library a couple times a month, but I like the book to be mine, too.

PC games are the big one. I love adventure games...the Nancy Drews, the Agatha Christies, anything by The Adventure Company.

They seem to be few and far between. I hate shootin' games and I hate simulation games. Maybe that's good, money-wise.

Clodfobble 06-02-2007 05:27 PM

Netflix has been a huge moneysaver for us. We used to be buying anywhere from 2-10 anime DVDs a month.

TheMercenary 06-03-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 349762)
Do you spend a lot of money on books, CDs, DVDs and games? What's the bulk of your entertainment budget?

I'm a compulsive book buyer--a few every month.
CDs--I'm not a big music person, but I do buy CDs every so often.
DVDs--Love movies, but only want to own certain ones.

Same here. Books are a big weakness of mine. I could spend and do spend hours in a good book store, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Books-a-Million. CD's use to be a weakness, not so much anymore. DVD's only for a narrow category of films, mostly old classic B&W's, and B-Horror flicks from the 40's through 70's.

bluecuracao 06-03-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 350025)
shoes

Oh yeah, those too. I must've blocked that one out.

wolf 06-04-2007 10:42 AM

Books, DVDs, tarot decks.

Amazon.com gets between $40 and $200 per month out of me.

I also make the occasional impulse purchase from QVC. I am awaiting a set of Cooldannas, some bug repellant stick-ons, and a laptop.

jester 06-04-2007 10:48 AM

we spend way to much on DVDs, we could give blockbuster a serious run for their money - also we spend on XBox 360, PS3 games - very few CDs - i spend on books.

barefoot serpent 06-05-2007 05:39 PM

I figured that they just gave them away at the nunnery...