The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   what is this song??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14782)

vocalperk 07-10-2007 12:41 AM

what is this song???

I am trying to remember a song I listened to maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I am not sure if it was new at that time, or just new to me. All I can remember is the following:
  • female singer
  • I think it was rap
  • I also think this artist was originally kind of laughed at or not taken seriously because she has a little bit of a low voice?
  • the song started out with some beatboxing (human, not a machine)
  • the beatboxing went: bom ts kuh ts ts ts bu-kuh ts bom ts kuh ts ts ts bu-kuh
  • to get the rhythm of that beat box, each syllable is equally spaced apart and "bu-kuh" is said and spaced together like one syllable
  • there may have been some background-y vocals of females at one point that went "wahhhhhh"

This is all I can remember and it is driving me crazy not knowing which song/singer it is. I know those are vague points, but I am hoping the ones about beatboxing (I beatbox so I remember the beat more than the vocals) will ring some bells with someone!

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance if someone hits on it.

piercehawkeye45 07-10-2007 01:35 AM

This is the best I can do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_rappers

lumberjim 07-10-2007 01:36 AM

you should do a youtube clip of the beat...then post it so we can hear it.

otherwise.....all im getting is bobby mcpherson

freshnesschronic 07-10-2007 02:03 AM

Really hard to do with no rhythm help.

Crimson Ghost 07-10-2007 03:31 PM

• female singer
  • I think it was rap
  • I also think this artist was originally kind of laughed at or not taken seriously because she has a little bit of a low voice?

Shot in the dark ..

Macy Grey?

Happy Monkey 07-10-2007 03:39 PM

Try this.

DanaC 07-10-2007 03:43 PM

Annoyingly I can't use the site. A year has gone by and I still haven't fixed my own computer. Still using the council laptop. Pathetic.

But.....what an amazing idea!

lumberjim 07-10-2007 04:02 PM

I FOUND IT!

vocalperk 07-10-2007 06:09 PM

Ah ha!

I figured it out this morning. Yayyyy!

When I get home tonight I will upload an *.mp3 of (me beatboxing) the beat I typed out. I'm curious to see if anyone will be able to guess it from that clip. If not, then I will tell you which one it was.

Shawnee123 07-11-2007 09:03 AM

I'd like to see that, vocal. I tried that site with a few songs, but never got a match to what I was trying to beat out. I thought it might be a "garbage in garbage out" thing but my ex (the piano player who went to Berklee in Boston) always said I had a good sense of beats and music though I've never played an instrument. Well, not any kind I could play in public.

theotherguy 07-11-2007 11:27 AM

Where is the upload?

Uisge Beatha 07-11-2007 11:38 AM

Last night I was waiting for it, too. At one point I saw vocalperk was checking this thread and 'managing attachments' at the time, but nothing showed up. I have noticed there are no audio file formats for attachment types, so maybe this threw a monkey wrench in the works. Would zipping an MP3 be the only way around this?

Shawnee123 07-11-2007 12:01 PM

I know a way around it. Just tell us the cotton-pickin' name of the song and let us try it. :eyebrow:

:p

vocalperk 07-11-2007 04:11 PM

sorry

sorry about that. I was planning to create a free account on angelfire or somewhere to upload the file, but I got home and was so tired I just didn't want to take the time. Plus it looks like angelfire mines data out the wazoo about you when you create an account.

Uisge Beatha, you are right, I was hoping there was a simple way around it to like, "attach" an MP3 but only certain attachable file types are valid. I had no idea you can see what people are doing in real time on this site.

I will try zipping the mp3 tonight. The beat is fairly simple and straightforward - nothing spectacular, but it should give the song away I hope.

Uisge Beatha 07-11-2007 05:41 PM

Cool -- I'm looking forward to checking it out. I love music, but don't know much at all about rap. Who knows, maybe I'll find something new into which I can delve.

As to seeing what others are doing in real time, it was just freak chance that I stumbled onto you last night, vocalperk. Since I've only been registered and posting for a few weeks, I still don't recognize lots of others here. While I was checking to see if you'd had the opportunity to upload your file, I decided to find out just who had us all anxiously waiting. I opened your profile (clicked your name in a post) and while reading it happened to see you were here and managing attachments. A similar tool is the 'Who's Online' option from the 'Quick Links' menu towards the upper-right of the page. There's nothing detailed, but you can tell when someone is around.