The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "A friendly little coffee shop, with no coffee, and no shop." (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1946)

LordSludge 08-06-2002 01:52 PM

"A friendly little coffee shop, with no coffee, and no shop."

Yeah, well I'm in a coffee shop, mooching off an 802.11b network somebody a few shops over has been so kind as to leave open.

Beats working at home, esp cuz my A/C is broken -- it's 90degF in my house! My cats have by now melted into furry little puddles...

dave 08-06-2002 01:58 PM

802.11b is one of the greatest innovations in a long, long time. My home I love wireless networking.

elSicomoro 08-06-2002 02:04 PM

No A/C needed today. It's currently 82 degrees on Independence Mall...bright and sunny, with 27% humidity. :cool:

(Sorry Sludge. ;) )

What the fuck am I at work for? Oh yeah...I forgot...

dave 08-06-2002 02:18 PM

Actually, today is a <b>BEAUTIFUL</b> day here. Probably 80 out, a light breeze, low humidity. Lemme check Dulles' weather...

81 in Fairfax, 39 percent humdity, 13mph winds gusting to 21mph.

I didn't want to come to work this morning. It must have been 75 when I got in the car at 9AM. It was a perfect day for a hammock.

dave 08-06-2002 02:23 PM

Man, I wish I was in Aptos. 68 outside. Nice.

That Guy 08-08-2002 02:25 PM

<b><a href="http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_1.html">Free wireless at Schlotzsky's</a></b>

Many of you might (probably..?) don't know what Schlotzky's is, but it's been a grand place ever since they set up free internet access for all in most restaurants. ...and they have great sandwiches.

Tobiasly 08-08-2002 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blowmeetheclown
Many of you might (probably..?) don't know what Schlotzky's is, but it's been a grand place ever since they set up free internet access for all in most restaurants. ...and they have great sandwiches.
Man, that's a great idea. I'd definitely be more apt to go to a particular restaurant for lunch if I could sit and check email or whatever too. I hope this idea catches on.

Tobiasly 08-08-2002 02:43 PM

Man, you didn't tell the whole story! They're putting up 4-foot antennas so anyone within a 1-mile range has free access! How cool would it be to live within a mile of any Schlotzsky's and have permanent free access??

Says it'll cost 'em $4000 per store plus another $800 a month. Will this really bring in $800 of business each month, or will people simply sit in McDonald's next door and mooch the bandwidth? I thought the days of companies giving away stuff for free were over..

MaggieL 08-08-2002 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tobiasly

Says it'll cost 'em $4000 per store plus another $800 a month. Will this really bring in $800 of business each month, or will people simply sit in McDonald's next door and mooch the bandwidth? I thought the days of companies giving away stuff for free were over..

But how long will it *be* free? Too Cheap To Meter by Simpson Garfinkle

juju 08-08-2002 04:17 PM

This is only in 10 of their Austin, Texas stores.

I knew it was too good to be true. Nothing exciting ever happens in Arkansas.

Tobiasly 08-08-2002 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juju
This is only in 10 of their Austin, Texas stores.

I knew it was too good to be true. Nothing exciting ever happens in Arkansas.

"Schlotzsky's expects to wire 10 of its Austin restaurants in the next week. Eventually the company hopes to roll out the service at its 650 stores nationally."

Of course, they may realize it's not worth it before they get to the rest of their 640 stores!

Nic Name 08-08-2002 06:58 PM

In every market they do this they will benefit by positive media attention and viral marketing that couldn't be bought for many times that cost.

elSicomoro 08-08-2002 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tobiasly
Well, they do make a mighty fine sandwich.

Tobiasly 08-09-2002 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
Well, they do make a mighty fine sandwich.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of filet-o-fish, but I always scrape off most of the tartar sauce.

Or were you talking about Schlotzsky's?

elSicomoro 08-09-2002 07:16 AM

I meant Schlotzky's, although I do like the McChicken sandwich. :)