The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sonic CC Machines (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25145)

Flint 05-06-2011 02:08 PM

Sonic CC Machines

The card scanners at Sonic prompt:

"Do you know your PIN?"

What if you answered no???

Griff 05-06-2011 02:11 PM

Lower risk of heart disease?

infinite monkey 05-06-2011 02:20 PM

What the fuck are you talking about? The hedgehog????? :confused:

Ibby 05-06-2011 02:33 PM

The drive-up fast-food joint I reckon.

Gravdigr 05-06-2011 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 731560)
What the fuck are you talking about? The hedgehog????? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 731566)
The drive-up fast-food joint I reckon.

:yesnod:

infinite monkey 05-06-2011 03:02 PM

OH, and CC is credit card.

:facepalm:

We had a Sonic for like a year, then it just *poof* went out of business. I never did eat there.

Undertoad 05-06-2011 03:16 PM

If you park close enough to the menu thingie to run your card, then the person who comes to give you food can't reach your window.

Gravdigr 05-06-2011 04:00 PM

And it's more like a not-so-fast food joint.

BigV 05-06-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 731552)

"Do you know your PIN?"

then the transaction is processed as a credit transaction, instead of a debit transaction.

zippyt 05-06-2011 04:31 PM

then the transaction is processed as a credit transaction, instead of a debit transaction.

and they come out Fingerprint you , Draw Blood , snip hair and Photograph you for Identity purposes

Flint 05-06-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 731552)

"Do you know your PIN?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 731621)

It is the wording/intent of the question that confuses me. If I don't know the PIN of the card I am running, then it isn't my card. It must be a stolen card. Running it as credit, without (I assume) even bothering to a check photo ID... how is that right? It appears that they are encouraging people to make fraudulent purchases.

If you don't know the PIN, they should call the police.

Pico and ME 05-06-2011 04:49 PM

It should probably ask, then, "Do you remember your PIN?"

BigV 05-06-2011 05:16 PM

I have made numerous transactions with my plastic that did not require a signature or a PIN.

It is easy to make fraudulent purchases in this way.

I don't see the wording of this prompt as encouraging people to make fraudulent purchases. I see it as the first step in a decision tree of the payment processing system to determine how to process the payment. the wording could be different--in fact, when I bought groceries at the store this morning, the first prompt I saw was (words to the effect of): Credit / Debit? This is the same question essentially. I think the wording of the Sonic initial prompt was chosen for two reasons. 1 -- it is more conversational than credit/debit. and 2 -- it does seem to bias the transaction toward PIN/debit usage. Otherwise, if they're able to process it as a credit without a signature, why wouldn't they? and just skip the whole extra debit/pin trouble. I think they DON'T do this for two reasons. I think they would want to use the least expensive transaction model, and I think this is the debit transaction, and I think they'd want to make your shopping experience at Sonic as easy and uncomplicated as possible, therefore why bother you with a signature if they don't have to.

my $0.02.

ZenGum 05-06-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 731638)

and they come out Fingerprint you , Draw Blood , snip hair and Photograph you for Identity purposes, wrap you in a body bag, and bury you at sea. Photos will not be published.

Tell the full story, Zip.

Flint 05-06-2011 07:06 PM

I maintain that it would be vanishingly unlikely for someone to not know the PIN of the card they are carrying, without this indicating a deeper problem. The wording of the question is "do you know" your PIN. I don't understand what scenario that is designed to address.

Someone buying a hamburger with a stolen card...? With a card they "borrowed" from someone without asking...?