The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Favorite lenses (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25481)

chrisinhouston 07-08-2011 02:59 PM

Favorite lenses

4 Attachment(s)
Just a personal note on the 2 of my favorite lenses in my gear bag.

The first it my Canon 85mm f1.2 which is great for portraits and in low light. You have to be careful to make sure you get what you want in focus as the depth of field wide open is next to nothing at wide open. I try for eye lashes when shooting portraits.

My second favorite is my Sigma 800 f5.6 for those long shots and the ability to pull the background into the subject. Only problem with this lens is you have to use a large sturdy tripod and it is big and heavy to travel with, I carry mine in it's own metal case. Great for wildlife though!

nowhereman 07-10-2011 07:53 AM

Lots of Nikon gear, but my favorite lens is the 15mm f/5.6 retilinear lens. If you keep it level and square the verticals don't distort (except way out at the edges). It's a great lens for tight spaces - I do a lot of photographing installations in art galleries.

Sperlock 07-10-2011 09:23 AM

I've only got 2 lenses - the Canon 85mm f/1.8, which I haven't been able to use as much as I would like, and the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6.

Scriveyn 07-10-2011 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got started on DSLR last month. So, to date, my only two lenses are
Canon 70-200 f4.0 (excellent stuff) and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (need to evaluate this some more).

Attachment 32968

Canon at 200mm, distance approx 10m, picture cropped & downsized to 63% to fit the forum

chrisinhouston 07-10-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 744058)
Lots of Nikon gear, but my favorite lens is the 15mm f/5.6 retilinear lens. If you keep it level and square the verticals don't distort (except way out at the edges). It's a great lens for tight spaces - I do a lot of photographing installations in art galleries.

I had that one back in my Nikon F3 days. Unfortunately while shooting aerials on a helicopter over the Houston ship channel many years ago the front element somehow came loose and fell a few hundred feet into the channel! :sniff: My insurance did replace it though! I now have a Canon 15mm fish-eye which is fun for the occasional wide angle distortion picture and also the Canon 16-36mm which is my standby for wide angles with hardly any noticeable distortion.

chrisinhouston 07-10-2011 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Scriveyn, those are good choices. You are covering a good bit of focal length range as well as keeping your gear a bit lighter with the f4 instead of the f2.8.

I have owned several Sigma lenses in the past but the Canon bug got to me and I upgraded several of them. I really liked the Sigma 100-500, it was sharp and focused very quickly.

Here is one of The Blue Angels from my son's USNA graduation event shot with that lens.

The next shot was also from that event but shot with the fish-eye

Gravdigr 07-10-2011 03:31 PM

If you bought those two lenses Chris mentions in the first post, new, they would cost just over what I made the last six months I worked.

Bullitt 07-10-2011 05:02 PM

I very much liked my Nikkor 24-120vr. Great walk-around lens

chrisinhouston 07-11-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 744099)
If you bought those two lenses Chris mentions in the first post, new, they would cost just over what I made the last six months I worked.

Yes they can be expensive, I purchased the 85mm for shooting my brother in law's wedding and he was paying me about $2500 so it paid for the lens and the plane ticket.

I got the 800 on eBay for about $2000 as it was used and it was the previous model to the one Sigma has in their line up now but I have seen no discernible quality issues with whatever this one does not have as opposed to the new one. The Canon version runs around $11,000 new which is kind of crazy!

Gravdigr 07-12-2011 01:54 PM

Yeah, but, you definitely get what you pay for when buying glass.

But, it hurts so much.