The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   France has a new President (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27304)

GunMaster357 05-06-2012 01:15 PM

France has a new President

Link

Sundae 05-06-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMaster357 (Post 810393)

La France tourne a gauche!
Au revoir, Sarkozy.

GunMaster357 05-06-2012 02:24 PM

As I see it, my fellows voted for comfort: more subsidies from the state without even thinking about more deficits leading to more taxes.

I begin to wonder about going to another country (Chile maybe)

Sundae 05-06-2012 02:44 PM

On the radio today there was an interview with a French woman (sorry - I missed the start; presumably a journalist) suggesting that the rich French right wing might move to Britain. She actually laughed. She said that conditions would have to be far more favourable to make a French person give up his country.

elSicomoro 05-06-2012 04:59 PM

This is interesting...is France now going to be the savior/destroyer of the EU? It's easy to bully Greece...but France?

GunMaster357 05-06-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 810410)
On the radio today there was an interview with a French woman (sorry - I missed the start; presumably a journalist) suggesting that the rich French right wing might move to Britain. She actually laughed. She said that conditions would have to be far more favourable to make a French person give up his country.

Don't be sure of that... Here's a nice incentive.

François Hollande (the new president) has a project to tax heavily the rich.

If you manage to win more than a million euros par annum...

it'll be taxed at 75%...

I recently worked in a company making software for the real estate business.

We heard about French realtors who were asked to find big nice properties in Belgium, Luxembourg, etc.

GunMaster357 05-06-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 810429)
This is interesting...is France now going to be the savior/destroyer of the EU? It's easy to bully Greece...but France?

Greece was voting today for a new goverment...

They sacked the guys who negociated with the EU because they were for austerity and deficit control.

elSicomoro 05-06-2012 09:10 PM

Right...so now will Merkel and those more for austerity tow the line, or will they be forced to give in at least some to Hollande?

I don't think Greece is going to be in any real shape to fight back against the EU no matter who's in charge. But I can also see them trying.

Greece has only recently seemed to be stable politically, but based on what is going on with their debt situation, maybe they really weren't. And now ordinary Greeks have to bear the brunt of government nonsense...so I can understand to a point why many of them are so angry. On the other hand...they elected these people to run their country...

ZenGum 05-13-2012 06:42 AM

I have been seeing stories about iceland, but none from reliable sources - which itself makes me curious. The gist seems to be that the people have democratically rejected accepting the nationalisation of the banking collapse debt and are repudiating it and getting on with their own lives.

I can't be bothered doing the research to check, anyone know anything?

tw 05-13-2012 11:21 AM

When finance people lie. When they screw an economy because "the purpose of a business is profits". Then economics takes revenge years or decades later. How severe will that revenge be? Either one can deal with the problem. Or economics takes revenge heavily on the most innocent. Greece must decide how to fix their mess. Refusing to admit the problem will only result in even worse revenge on the most innocent later.

How many Americans loved the massacre of 5000 American soldiers? Many were silent and therefore approved of Mission Accomplished. How many are now willing to accept responsiblity for being complacent and therefore guilty? Apparently many Greeks are taking the same irresponsible position today about their money games.

Many Greeks remained brainwashed just like a Rush Limbaugh disciple. And must now pay the consequences for remaining ignorant. For not even learning the purpose of any business.

So who must be harmed most? And by how much? Those should be the only relevant questions. Spread sheet games from the Athens Olympics, et al must now be paid to avert even greater harm later.

classicman 05-13-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 811389)
I have been seeing stories about iceland, but none from reliable sources - which itself makes me curious. The gist seems to be that the people have democratically rejected accepting the nationalisation of the banking collapse debt and are repudiating it and getting on with their own lives.

I can't be bothered doing the research to check, anyone know anything?

I can only assume that I'm reading the same you are. Seems like thats what they did.

TheMercenary 05-15-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMaster357 (Post 810437)
Don't be sure of that... Here's a nice incentive.

François Hollande (the new president) has a project to tax heavily the rich.

If you manage to win more than a million euros par annum...

it'll be taxed at 75%...

I recently worked in a company making software for the real estate business.

We heard about French realtors who were asked to find big nice properties in Belgium, Luxembourg, etc.

Let the bleeding begin! A real life experiment in competing economic philosophic approaches to economic theory. Should be interesting.