The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chili Sauces (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29005)

richlevy 05-10-2013 10:57 PM

Chili Sauces

I'm a big fan of Sriracha sauce, preferring the ones that come in the plastic squeeze bottle.

But today I was listening to a food show on NPR and they mentioned Harissa sauce from Tunisia. I checked it out on Wikipedia and it seems to have the same thick pastiness of Sriracha but with a different mix of ingredients.

Has anyone tried both?

So what other variations are out there for thicker chili based sauces?

Flint 05-11-2013 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Never heard of or tried Harissa --(interested in a review if anyone has). A good thicker sauce would be like an Adobo sauce, but that's chipotle. I had a thick, dark-red (almost brown) sauce (Habanero, I think?) that I used to put on all my sandwhiches, that Pooka says was 'Bufalo' (one f, not Buffalo) but I'm not sure that's what it was. A guy at work was telling me of a Mexican joint in Austin that makes pork tips in a dark-red sauce made of dried red chilis, ground into a paste and then strained. A 'massado' I think he called it.

I'm fixating on one thing here; there's a lot of good sauces, but the 'thick pastiness' you decribe is the winning characteristic.

Well, go with what you know!

Sundae 05-11-2013 06:18 AM

I've only had harissa spices (same blend no doubt but not in a sauce.)
I recommend the flavour at least.

Can't even compare with Sriracha as I am completely unfamiliar with that.

richlevy 05-11-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 864674)
I had a thick, dark-red (almost brown) sauce (Habanero, I think?) that I used to put on all my sandwhiches, that Pooka says was 'Bufalo' (one f, not Buffalo) but I'm not sure that's what it was.

That would be Bufalo, probably the 'clasico' sauce in the cone shaped glass bottle. It is nice thicker sauce, and actually pretty mild. It's also dirt cheap and readily available in most Hispanic groceries. I checked the Wiki and it appears that they also make Tampico brand, which I have also tried. It's not Habanero, or you wouldn't have any taste buds left.

It's a good non-watery chili sauce.

Flint 05-12-2013 09:35 PM

Pooka had a few comments on this, if she ever logs in. The Bufalo y'all are talking about is not the thing I am remembering, which was hotter than the dickens and I wish I could remember what it was called... Very dark, thick, and hot--you only needed a little.

Among other things, she also recommends a Brasilian pepper and hot sauce recipe which I willl not attempt to spell or describe. I will say that it is intended to be applied with a toothpick, but the flavor is so rich you can't help putting in more--until you are sweating.

Aliantha 05-12-2013 09:50 PM

Harrissa = yum with chicken or lamb. It's not that hot though, and like Sundae, I've only had it as a spice mix, not a sauce.

regular.joe 05-12-2013 10:11 PM

Take my word for it, Sriracha is not the hottest sauce available. It is indeed one of the best to add to just about anything. Plenty of kick, good flavor..great on burgers, eggs, chicken, really...anything. Once I get back home later this week I'll take a pick of some serious hot stuff that I only use in small doses in stuff like pot sticker dipping sauce. made by the same company I think, it has the chicken on it. Garlic Chile sauce.

I'm also a big fan of May Play sweet Chile sauce. Almost no kick, but very flavorful with a sweet and sour flavor. Keep it above the stove and it will always be easy to poor.

Flint 05-12-2013 10:28 PM

My favorite use for Sriracha (where it adds the most to what you've got to work with) is on cold, refrigerated cheese pizza--the next day.

wolf 05-13-2013 01:02 PM

I tend to buy the sauce with the most ridiculous name or label design. I have not been disappointed by this method. I buy wine the same way.

Spontaneous Combustion is quite excellent. A little goes a long way. A lot will put you into orbit.

Ocean's Edge 05-13-2013 03:10 PM

I keep a variety of hot sauces around .... I have a nice homemade sweet chili sauce (used pablanos and jalapenos for that one). I have a medium sweet chili sauce that was actually the result of a hot pepper jam failure, with both sweet peppers, pablanos and jalapenos. These tend to be our usual topping / dipping / straight up sauces - they've got a good bite, but I love the sweet with it.

Sriachi I keep for adding to things... I like it best mixed into a homemade mayo for a spicey mayo that is just great with everything - but especially fried foods - onion rings and french fries rawk with it. I also will add it to other dips and sauces.

Tobasco - this is my 'go to' hot sauce for cooking - large quantity stuff like spag sauce or chili gets a nice helping from this

Smokey chipolte sauce - similar consistency (and the same bottle) as my tobasco, but with a deep smokey flavour this tends to be my BBQ sauce add - and sometimes chili.

Those are my major players - got a half dozen or so minor players

Aliantha 05-13-2013 04:36 PM

The talk of harissa yesterday prompted me to make moroccan meatballs with flavoured rice last night.

It was yummy.

richlevy 05-18-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean's Edge (Post 864979)
Sriachi I keep for adding to things... I like it best mixed into a homemade mayo for a spicey mayo that is just great with everything - but especially fried foods - onion rings and french fries rawk with it. I also will add it to other dips and sauces.

I am going to try this, but with store bought mayo. I might throw in some sweet relish for a sweet and spicy mix.

Ocean's Edge 05-18-2013 10:56 PM

the sweet definitely works - I've done this with sweet chili sauce as well and it definitely works

zippyt 05-19-2013 05:28 PM

We have a shaker jar full of what ever kinds of hot peppers Carol grows , some dried tobasco jalapeno pablones. Etc,,,,,, it kind of evolves as the years go by , I do know you dont want to drunkenly do 2-3 shakes in drunk ramen noodles , it will Ruin a good buzz , Yow !!!!!!!!!

richlevy 12-21-2013 02:32 PM

http://srirachamovie.com/post/618106...r-for-the-film

There's a documentary out there for sriracha. Not sure if it's worth it, but I'm tempted.