The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Moving but going on holiday (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34017)

wrenicecream 01-14-2019 08:52 AM

Moving but going on holiday

Hey guys!

So a unique situation here... I'm being forced to move out of my apartment in NYC soon, but I've also got a 4-month holiday booked to Australia... so I'm wondering what to do with all my stuff :( What can everyone recommend?

Gravdigr 01-14-2019 09:58 AM

Fire is most efficient.

limey 01-14-2019 10:35 AM

Craigslist

glatt 01-14-2019 10:43 AM

Craigslist is a good idea.

Pay to store it if you really want to keep it. Or sell it and don't be tied to your stuff. Buy what you need when you get back.

Storage fees in the NYC area have to be pretty high.

Hopalong48 01-14-2019 12:08 PM

sell it to the new tenent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 01-14-2019 06:21 PM

My cousin just bought a house like that... the previous tenant lived there two years and spent tons of money remodeling, then suddenly reconnected with her high school sweetheart and decided she had to move to Boston immediately to be with him. She left literally everything except her clothes--dishes, books, furniture, linens--and the house was sold to him as-is. He got a good deal.

wrenicecream 01-18-2019 09:27 AM

Some solid options there, but ideally I'd like to keep my stuff, rather than sell and buy all over again :/ What about PRODUCT NAME AND LINK REMOVED. -UT for storage units? Anyone know these sorts of things? Could be an interesting way to keep my things safe, with the only condition being whether I have the money to store the stuff and go on holiday :D Will have to research a bit more and check the budget...

Undertoad 01-18-2019 10:51 AM

Sorry wren, but especially if you claim to be in New York, but post from a German IP address, we don't allow you to post links that may be promoting a product.

We're protective of our community. We're really good at it. Tell your co-workers.

glatt 01-18-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenicecream (Post 1023481)
What about PRODUCT NAME AND LINK REMOVED. -UT for storage units? Anyone know these sorts of things?

LOL. Didn't see that coming. ;)

Those enclosed storage containers the forklifts drop off next to your home and then pick up and take away seem like a neat idea. It would be very expensive to have the entire container delivered back to your home so you can retrieve that sweater you wanted, but if you are packing an entire home up for a year, there is an efficiency there.

Having so much crap you have to pay to store it is kind of ludicrous, temporary situations excluded. Better to live in the country where you have a barn to store it all, or else just simplify.

Happy Monkey 01-18-2019 11:36 AM

Storage containers like that can be problematic in cities, and I imagine New York City would be one of the toughest. But I also expect that the companies would have ways to manage that, and if you just want to pack and get it stored, it's probably not that much worse than a moving truck. It needs a big parking space, and you have to hope the door side doesn't get parked in. A moving truck can double-park, and you just need a big enough path between cars to get furniture through.

I would guess that monthly storage for a movable container is considerably cheaper than for a truck.

A storage unit (ie, a building) would probably be even cheaper, but also adds more time and effort packing and unpacking. But it's worth considering if you're not sure how fast you'll find a new place when you get back.