The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Baseball has been berry berry good... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3981)

warch 09-18-2003 10:38 AM

Baseball has been berry berry good...

Fall is here...
13,000+ walk up fans last night to see the Twins win a biggie against the White Sox. Now if the declawed Tigers will offer no surprises and the Yankees will have their way with the Sox, October looks interesting! (Rare moment when I'll root for the Yankees)
Of course there is still Colon this evening.

Griff 09-18-2003 10:59 AM

Lottsa neat stories right now. Tigers 7 to tie 8 to "win". Seattle vs Red Sox, KC still has the most evil owner in baseball, Yanks n O's start in a half hour up against a hurricane, unbalanced schedule divisional play and wildcard conspire for a wild finish, Giants clinch, LA sprints to the wire, and Twins fans root for Yankees to end strong.

Griff 09-18-2003 11:10 AM

Upon futher reflection, this hurricane game is one stupid stunt.

Chewbaccus 09-18-2003 11:15 AM

As a loyal Mets fan, here's what this season means to me:

1) We got rid of Philips. That's core.

2) Lost a lot of dead weight. (Still can't believe we foisted off Benitez onto the Yankees. Even though they sobered up and tossed him too, it still makes me smile.)

3) Despite gutting the team and bringing up a slew of AAAers, We're not the worst team in the game, even the league.

Now if we can just lure Bobby V back from ESPN, we'll be in good shape.

Griff 09-18-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chewbaccus
2) Lost a lot of dead weight. (Still can't believe we foisted off Benitez onto the Yankees. Even though they sobered up and tossed him too, it still makes me smile.)

He he he I can't believe we got Seattle to trade him for Nelson...

Cam 09-18-2003 11:39 AM

I havn't caught a Twins game for weeks. Kind of dissapointed about that, especially the last two. Maybe tonight I'll try and see one.

Someone was writing about how horrible it would be being a Chicago fan right now. Both the Cubs and White Sox seem to be on the verge of barely missing the post Season and the Bears appear to be aiming to dwell at the bottom of the cellar this year. Not that I feel sorry for them, they did get MJ during his glory years, they deserve about 8 straight years of sports hell for that.

Griff 09-18-2003 11:55 AM

The rain in Baldimore (sic) has begun, the Yanks probably just wasted a Mussina start.

Elspode 09-18-2003 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Griff
Lottsa neat stories right now. Tigers 7 to tie 8 to "win". Seattle vs Red Sox, KC still has the most evil owner in baseball, Yanks n O's start in a half hour up against a hurricane, unbalanced schedule divisional play and wildcard conspire for a wild finish, Giants clinch, LA sprints to the wire, and Twins fans root for Yankees to end strong.
David Glass, the most evil owner in baseball? Nah. Not the *smartest* owner in baseball, but he isn't actually evil. We just don't generate the kind of money here in KC that the big markets do. Hell, we're lucky to still have a major league team, much less a hefty payroll. Every time someone gets good here, we have to let them go elsewhere, because their market value gets too high.

I'm still hoping for a miracle so my Royals can win the AL Central...they did great for so long this year, and then...pffftt!!!

Griff 09-18-2003 06:14 PM

I'm going to get in trouble here, but I think George is the best owner in baseball. I'd prefer a bit more stability, but his desire to put the best possible product on the field can't be challenged. It is my understanding that Glass, the largest single stockholder in Walmart, has a much greater personal fortune than Steinbrenner. He is just unwilling to dip into it to enhance the value of his franchise. George bought the Yanks when they were almost worthless but he committed himself to rebuilding the brand name. Glass prefers whining about market size and collecting payments (which never seem to make it into payroll) from the more successful franchises, to fielding a serious contender. IMHO. Thats the party line and I'm sticking with it. duck and cover

Cam 09-18-2003 10:00 PM

I agree with you Griff, even though I hate the way the Yankees spend. If all the owners in the league cared as much about winning as him the sport would be in much better shape as far as the game on the field. On the other hand the financial situation would be in serious trouble(at least I think so, this is based on no facts whatsoever).

P.S. I still despise the Yankees, even if their owner is one of the best.

elSicomoro 09-18-2003 10:30 PM

Shut up Ep...your town is full of evildoers. And let's not forget that Rush worked for the Royals at one time too.

Rho and I are still planning to go to Baltimore tomorrow night to see the O's play the Jays. Meaningless in the standings, but fun nevertheless.

Note to MLB: Revenue sharing is why Green Bay still has an NFL team and can still pay good salaries.

Elspode 09-19-2003 12:59 AM

Revenue sharing is essential if baseball is going to survive in small markets.

KC is a great baseball town...when the team doesn't suck heinously.

warch 09-21-2003 12:30 AM

Quote:

Rho and I are still planning to go to Baltimore tomorrow night to see the O's play the Jays. Meaningless in the standings, but fun nevertheless.
didja go to the game? Camden Yards is one beautiful park, one of my favorites.

elSicomoro 09-21-2003 07:23 AM

Unfortunately no...long story.

Griff 10-01-2003 06:47 AM

Twins showed great defense and pitching, sloppy d for the yanks more errors than the official scorer called... on to Thurs