The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Which pill would you take? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5600)

Catwoman 04-20-2004 07:53 AM

Which pill would you take?

In the Matrix, Neo is presented with a red and a blue pill (ok don't quote me on the actual colours - it's a metaphor). He takes the red pill, choosing a fascinating but uncomfortable reality over a falsified euphemism for life. Which would you choose? Is it better to have knowledge and the inevitable suffering that brings, or live in blissful ignorance?

Troubleshooter 04-20-2004 07:56 AM

Red pill, no question.

Beestie 04-20-2004 09:02 AM

Depends on who I'm leaving behind.

If there is no one, then give me the RED pill.

But I can't leave behind a wife and two kids.... unless... *gasp* ... they are part of the illusion.

Gee, maybe its RED either way.

OnyxCougar 04-20-2004 09:42 AM

That's going to depend on if I am "THE ONE" in the red pill world or not. Why give up the "ignorance is bliss" stance to go to another crappy world where you're still a nobody?

edit: post # 1234. Fitting.

Catwoman 04-20-2004 11:17 AM

Lets say you are not 'the one', and you will be as powerless (or powerful) to affect anything in this new reality as you are in this life. However, you will no longer be ignorant, and that agnosticism you have been maintaining all your life will finally be answered, ultimately leading to peace of mind and the possiblity (not guarantee) of making a REAL impact. Would you risk the safety of knowing you will never make a difference (and therefore never experience disappointment) for the remote possibility of making a genuine, productive difference? There is always a bigger chance that you will fail, but the rewards should you succeed are incalculable.

Elspode 04-20-2004 11:18 AM

How do we know that all reality isn't subjective anyway? If what you perceive as reality is indistinguishable from actual reality, then what does it matter?

FWIW, I do believe that reality *is* completely subjective. I think it does a lot to explain schizophrenia and the fact that two people can see the exact same thing occur, yet disagree on details of what they've seen.

Troubleshooter 04-20-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspode
I think it does a lot to explain schizophrenia and the fact that two people can see the exact same thing occur, yet disagree on details of what they've seen.
I think stupidity does a better job of that than subjectivity does.

Elspode 04-20-2004 11:46 AM

Well, yeah, but even the perception of stupidity is subjective. I've known some pretty damn stupid people who thought they were freaking rocket scientists.

jaguar 04-20-2004 11:47 AM

Put it another way. Rather be a happy big or a miserable human.
Sometimes I lean one way, sometimes the other. More kicks being human I guess, more kicks taking hte red pill too. Rather live short, sharp and enjoying myself/excite myself than long and boring.

JeepNGeorge 04-20-2004 11:53 AM

Women like it when you take the little blue pill. Blue all the way ;)

marichiko 04-20-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JeepNGeorge
Women like it when you take the little blue pill. Blue all the way ;)
Oh, yeah? Give me a red pill type anytime!

Catwoman 04-21-2004 06:22 AM

How do we know that all reality isn't subjective anyway? If what you perceive as reality is indistinguishable from actual reality, then what does it matter?

Subjective reality is an interesting oxymoron because the word reality suggests something that is inherently tangible and objective. Perception of objective reality, however, is immeasurable and by its nature ambiguous. I can only concur that because of this, whether red or blue pill is your preference, it doesn't actually matter. It was more my intention to filter out those who assume risk to be danger and prefer the reticence and safety of ignorance, from those whose curiosity and, ultimately, intelligence, prevents them from accepting a myth as reality.

Whether 'reality' exisits as an objective measurable entity is a good foundation for a completely different debate...

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5608

JeepNGeorge 04-21-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by marichiko

Oh, yeah? Give me a red pill type anytime!

Then why do I get so many emails saying to really please my woman buy their di$count lil blue pills. ;)