The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Public Intolerance (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6055)

tw 06-11-2004 04:22 PM

Public Intolerance

Don't post a simple technical question in the Technology forum here (Printer Troubleshooter). If the question is too simple, then the Intolerance Police will attack. Same applies to Jimmy Kimmel. Once upon a time, such comments were made by Lenny Bruce. 30+ years later and we only repeat history? Ironically, Jimmy Kimmel was probably correct! Being correct is politically incorrect. Just ask Bill Mahr.

Quote:

from CNN Kimmel show pulled for comments
Kimmel was talking to ABC sportscaster Mike Tirico during halftime of Tuesday's game when he said, "They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it." Tirico, an Ann Arbor resident, immediately objected, telling him to be careful about making fun of Detroit.

ABC made the decision to pull Wednesday night's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" from affiliates nationwide shortly after the program was taped that night in California.

jaguar 06-11-2004 04:24 PM

so much for free speach ;)

Troubleshooter 06-11-2004 04:33 PM

I say it over and over, but nobody listens.

People are stupid.

tw 06-11-2004 04:37 PM

In the meantime, the so righteous and god chosen administration says torture is acceptable. Then when it is exposed, well, we blame all the little people. Clearly top administration officials who sent Gen Miller from Guantanamo to Gitmoize Iraq are not responsible for this. After all, according to Rush Limbaugh, et al, this really was not that bad:
Quote:

from Washington Post Use of Dogs to Scare Prisoners Was Authorized
U.S. intelligence personnel ordered military dog handlers at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq to use unmuzzled dogs to frighten and intimidate detainees during interrogations late last year, a plan approved by the highest-ranking military intelligence officer at the facility, according to sworn statements the handlers provided to military investigators.
A military intelligence interrogator also told investigators that two dog handlers at Abu Ghraib were "having a contest" to see how many detainees they could make involuntarily urinate out of fear of the dogs, according to the previously undisclosed statements obtained by The Washington Post.
Free speech is wrong - Patriot Act. Human Rights violations to advance democracy is good. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition - unless you understand extremists who use political agendas and not facts to justify anything.

At least when the thousands of kids marched through Chicago, under attack from Daley's storm troopers, then they were saying quite correctly "The whole world is watching". Who speaks out for Pirate who only asks a simple question? What chance does Pirate have when even Jimmy Kimmel and Howard Stern speak honestly?

We have met intolerance and it is us. 30 years later and the old expressions apply again.

xoxoxoBruce 06-11-2004 04:45 PM

Free speech is all well and good, but we mustn't interfere with business.:rolleyes:

smoothmoniker 06-11-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaguar
so much for free speach ;)
Good one. Soooooooo ....

which branch of the government was it that pulled him off the air? There's a difference between freedom of speech and right of forum.

-sm

Elspode 06-11-2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter
I say it over and over, but nobody listens.

People are stupid.

I don't understand...

lumberjim 06-11-2004 07:00 PM

Quote:

"They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it."
uh....is that offensive? what's "not worth it"? was it even funny? is he disparaging the championship or the city? i'm lost.

blue 06-11-2004 07:22 PM

I think it's funny. I think he's disparaging the city, basketball, idiots in general.

In 97 when we LOST the superbowl, 40,000 (blue and Mrs. blue included) fans went to Lambeau (4 hour drive for us) welcome the players and celebrate the season.

In Denver for Elways first (same game) win maybe 20,000 showed up, (DENVER..not sleepy little Green Bay....pay attention) then went to the streets burning, flipping cars, smashing windows, etc.

God help us if Philly ever wins it all ;-)

That said I hope Detroit kick their ass. Rock on Jimmy Kimmel!

elSicomoro 06-11-2004 08:33 PM

Re: Public Intolerance

Quote:

Originally posted by tw
Don't post a simple technical question in the Technology forum here (Printer Troubleshooter). If the question is too simple, then the Intolerance Police will attack.
The person that started that thread pretty much only posts when he wants some help. Now, I'm all for helping people, but last I checked, this is an online community. It's a give-and-take thing, as I see it. When he starts giving a bit more, then he can take.

Though Wolf has been a bit of a crank lately. ;)

wolf 06-12-2004 01:20 AM

Re: Public Intolerance

Quote:

Originally posted by tw
ABC made the decision to pull Wednesday night's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" from affiliates nationwide shortly after the program was taped that night in California.
I don't get it.

Jimmy Kimmel was on tonight, making fun of the Reagan Funeral. Did they bring him back just for that?

elSicomoro 06-12-2004 09:18 AM

WTF? I'd say this is some sort of liberal stunt, but Disney seems pretty conservative.

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2004 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Public Intolerance

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf

I don't get it.

Jimmy Kimmel was on tonight, making fun of the Reagan Funeral. Did they bring him back just for that?

Quote:

ABC made the decision to pull Wednesday night's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" from affiliates nationwide
:)

wolf 06-12-2004 09:50 PM

Oh, just the one show.

pikers.

farfromhome 06-12-2004 11:40 PM

I was only through Detroit once.I'm just an average sized white dude. But I'm not afraid of anything. I wandered off the beaten track. I told my wife to lock the doors.This was a world I had not seen before despite being in rust belt cities all my life.