The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Who rules your world--your heart or your head? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8211)

BigV 04-26-2005 11:31 PM

Who rules your world--your heart or your head?

Are you a logical Vulcan? Are you the emotional Bones? Do you consult all the research before you form your opinion? Do you just go with your gut? Are you both? What's your balance? Are there areas that are "just the facts, ma'am" and other areas where you "trust the force"?

How have you changed over time? When has your choice been the wrong one? How do you relate to the "other" side?

lookout123 04-26-2005 11:32 PM

yes.

now where's the damn poll? :D

BigV 04-26-2005 11:44 PM

must. control. mouse. of. death. I f*cked up the poll, it's missing option #1, Just the facts, ma'am. HELP!

Undertoad 04-26-2005 11:49 PM

Whaddya need heah?

BigV 04-26-2005 11:56 PM

see pm.

lookout123 04-27-2005 12:10 AM

first response is alost always based on emotion. as i've aged i've learned to stop and see if the facts support my instincts.

wolf 04-27-2005 12:19 AM

I use the force.

Information flow is as much of the force as the energy flow, you know ...

Damn. I think I voted the second the poll was being edited. My vote has not been counted, or went in as "just the facts". :(

Troubleshooter 04-27-2005 08:08 AM

I'm with Wolf except for the etheric aspect. The unconscious is my friend, we make a real good team.

The heart just pisses me off in the long run.

lumberjim 04-27-2005 09:38 AM

I hold up facts against my gut feeling. a wise man once said, "Facts are stupid things."
what i mean is that how I interpret the facts depends largely on how I 'feel' about something.

Beestie 04-27-2005 10:01 AM

I don't think gut and heart are the same thing. There's head (objective analysis of facts), heart (I want it so it must be right) and then there's gut which which is difficult to define exactly but I wouldn't call it emotional yet I wouldn't call it analytical either - its sort of a locus of wisdom and common sense.

In the absence of facts, I go with gut. If I have enough facts I go with head but gut has veto power. But that's now. The first 30 odd years of my tortured life was my heart leading me on wild goose chases while obscuring from my head the obvious destination of those chases.

jaguar 04-27-2005 10:13 AM

very delicate balance of both working together. Exact balance topic dependant. Ts has a point, subconscious is either a good friend or a terrible enemy.

Catwoman 04-27-2005 10:23 AM

The heart is an organ that pumps blood around the body. If it hurts, you're probably having a heart attack.

While I'm at it, the eyes are not windows, they're matter attached to the brain allowing you to see.

All this personification of organs does my head in.

Troubleshooter 04-27-2005 10:27 AM

It's not personification, it's culturalization of physical responses to certain stimuli.

Catwoman 04-27-2005 10:30 AM

Right. Sorry, all this culturisation (in a culture obsessed with personality) of organs does my head in. Anyway, your heart does not hurt when you're upset or in love, it's usually your stomach. So there. Ner ner ner ner ner.

jaguar 04-27-2005 10:32 AM

anthropomorphism is the word your looking for though symbolic metaphor through anthropomorphisation might be a more complete description. Now i think about it anthropomorphisation of part of a person leads to an intersting kind of meta-anthropomorphisation loop.

I'm going to go lie down now.