The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Beamed Up to the Final Frontier (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8762)

Elspode 07-20-2005 12:37 PM

Beamed Up to the Final Frontier

Scotty has left Engineering. Someone else is going to have to coax that last bit of warp speed out of the Enterprise the next time Kirk gets everyone into dutch.

James Doohan, who was about as Scottish as Wayne Gretzky (both were Canadian, actually), has died at the goodly age of 85. He leaves behind nine children from three marriages. He sired his last child at the age of 80, thus proving that old pistons can still deliver the horsepower when needed, not unlike Scotty's beloved Enterprise.

Doohan, like most of the other cast, did rather well with his permanent typecasting as the affable Scotsman, and was a frequent participant in Trek conventions. Heck, I even saw him do a killer stint on "Password" back in the 80's. It was *so* weird to hear him speaking without the brogue. Jimmy Doohan was a WWII vet of the Juno Beach D-Day invasion, and was missing a finger for his trouble (something I never noticed).

It is a rare honor, I think, to be permanently and indelibly enshrined in the collective consciousness of humanity, even if it does bring your acting career to a grinding halt as a result. As the years slide by, one by one, the intrepid crew of the Enterprise will join Bones and Scotty in that Unexplored Country, but their voices, their images, their characters and their impact on our popular culture will always be present, as close as the button on your TV.

Give it all you've got, Mr. Scott. She'll take just a little more...

mrnoodle 07-20-2005 12:39 PM

"Admiral..there be angels here!"

Cue wolf's bagpipes. Are you misty, too?

Happy Monkey 07-20-2005 12:57 PM

:blkwht: :whtblk:

wolf 07-20-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Cue wolf's bagpipes. Are you misty, too?

Yes, as a matter of fact.

Thanks again, Els, for a beautiful sendoff. Once again, I heard of a passing first from you, and while the blow is no softer, it's so beautifully spoken that I feel peace.

plthijinx 07-20-2005 01:31 PM

i'm sorry to see him go as well. and wolf, if i still had my pipes i'd join you in amazing grace. (yeah, i used to play'em in school)

i'm going to have to watch Trek 3 again. that part where scotty talks to the computer is priceless! esp. when bones hands him the mouse and he talks into that! :lol:

wolf 07-20-2005 01:39 PM

That was 4, IIRC. The one with the Whales. Had to be an even number, because it didn't suck.

plthijinx 07-20-2005 01:42 PM

oh that's right.....i'm falling asleep here at work!

wolf 07-20-2005 01:44 PM

I didn't want to you waste time on a film that was just fill.

Although 3 beats 5 any day of the week, twice on Sundays.

Elspode 07-20-2005 01:54 PM

The alternate title for 5 was going to be, "Never Let William Shatner Write or Direct"...

plthijinx 07-20-2005 01:55 PM

yeah, duh, i forgot about the search for spock. you have to admit bones having "that green blooded....." possess him was funny...

wolf 10-15-2005 02:38 PM

Scotty's finally getting into space.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Evidently "Star Trek" actor James "Scotty" Doohan took the catchphrase "beam me up" very seriously -- his cremated remains will be launched into space in accord with his last wishes.

Mage 10-15-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
The alternate title for 5 was going to be, "Never Let William Shatner Write or Direct"...

Nice